PDA

View Full Version : Puma ditching Nigeria

farmpilot
11th Dec 2009, 12:58
Apparently a Puma has ditched in Nigeria today, reports says all out OK and the aircraft's afloat.

Nothing further and fingers crossed everyone is OK.

Cyclic Hotline
11th Dec 2009, 15:14
Chopper ditches at Agbami

All 18 personnel on board a helicopter heading to SeaBird Exploration's seismic vessel Kondor Explorer are safe after the aircraft was forced to ditch into the sea earlier today.

Upstream staff ([email protected]?subject=Comment on online article&body=http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/article201519.ece) Friday, 11 December, 2009, 13:46 GMT

The helicopter made a controlled landing into the sea at a few hundred metres from the Kondor Explorer, currently working on a survey at the Agbami field off Nigeria, at 12:10 CET.

“No persons were injured and all 18 persons from the helicopter were safely picked up from the sea by rescue boats,” the company said in a statement.

There were 16 crew and two pilots on the helicopter.

SeaBird boss Tim Isden said that the company has launched an investigation into the incident, adding the cause is not yet clear.
"Our emergency response team on the Kondor Explorer carried out their duties superbly," he said. "There were no injuries and all 18 men were collected from the water."

The Kondor Explorer is carrying out a 4D seismic survey at Agbami for field operator Chevron.

Published: 11 December 2009 | Last updated: 11 December 2009

SASless
11th Dec 2009, 15:29
Hmmmmmm....a few hundred meters from the destination.....wonder what happened?:uhoh:

Daysleeper
11th Dec 2009, 17:00
Can anyone say who the puma operator was?

froggy_pilot
11th Dec 2009, 17:13
Only Bristow has got Super Puma 332 in Nigeria and use them for charter

Bristow is flying two S92 for the Agbami/Chevron contract.

Hopefully everyone is safe, welldone :ok:

malabo
11th Dec 2009, 20:00
Seismic ship. Low deck compared to a rig.
Puma Ditches In Nigeria | VTOLBLOG (http://vtolblog.com/?p=1337)

Landing or takeoff? Incident or self-inflicted?

And the usual beg for pictures. Sounds like it is sitting on the barge in good shape - wonder how soon it can fly again.

infosource
11th Dec 2009, 20:58
Sounds like it was on arrival.

vandyke
12th Dec 2009, 16:29
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9310/pumag.jpg

kajn
12th Dec 2009, 16:52
more pics

Norske skip reddet 18 etter helikopterstyrt| TV 2 Nyhetene (http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/utenriks/norske-skip-reddet-18-etter-helikopterstyrt-3059019.html)

vandyke
12th Dec 2009, 17:05
It was recovered by the SIEM Marlin. this is the ROV construction vessel for Chevrons Akbami field.
I haven't heard yet why It went down, will hopefully get more details soon

froggy_pilot
12th Dec 2009, 21:35
I've worked 2 weeks last month with Siem Marlin on Agip/Oyo field, very competent and professional crew, (radio man, HLO and deck crew...) :ok:

Everybody is safe :D

A controlled ditch is always better than an uncontrolled landing :D

archos
13th Dec 2009, 09:08
A controlled landing onto a helideck "a few hundred meters away" would even be better.

Zaphod1
13th Dec 2009, 11:18
Good point Archos - I don't suppose the crew thought of that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beaucoup Movement
13th Dec 2009, 12:19
I do agree that a controlled landing onto a helideck would make more sense bearing in mind they were so close to it but we don't yet know the circumstances. Whatever the reason the crew did really well & Its nice to know that everyone got out ok. :D

Zaphod,

I don't suppose the crew thought of that

I would be very much surprised if the crew hadn't thought of landing on
the deck as an option!!

rick1128
13th Dec 2009, 13:09
It is quite possible that a deck landing was not a viable option. I don't know about the Puma, but many twin engine helicopters have a minimum single engine speed when operating in Category A. If this is the case, then the deck landing was not a doable event. I have a friend that had to ditch a S76 due to an engine failure, because of the minimum single engine speed.

Epiphany
13th Dec 2009, 14:57
It is known as sarcasm Beaucoup.

It is known as DSELW - Deliberate Single Engine Landing Weight Rick.

HeliComparator
13th Dec 2009, 16:12
I think you will find that the aircraft was carrying diversion fuel to a land airport. If it ditched due to engine failure, it was because it had already slowed down below a speed/height where a go-around on one engine was possible.

HC

SASless
13th Dec 2009, 18:17
I thought Tigers hovered on one engine at max weight? Or is that some misconception?

Archos ....Archos....I know that name from somewhere....let me think a bit!

Ah yes...."One more....One More....One more....an endless refrain it was one night (actually several) amongst which some bicycles got ridden into a swimming pool by a fellow wearing Tails...and all wound up looking like the Grand Mufti himself!:ok:

Epiphany
13th Dec 2009, 18:52
MAUW for a Tiger is 18960 lbs. Dont have the graphs to hand but OEI IGE hover weight at sea level 20 degrees is around 16000 lbs.

hoveratsix
13th Dec 2009, 19:20
The tail rotor looks in good shape for a power on landing. Was it turning at the time??
Did my NDLPs in G-PUMI on 26 Oct 1994.:eek:

infosource
13th Dec 2009, 23:26
I received video footage taken from a passenger right after ditching. It is up on vtolblog.com now. Incredible stuff and glad nobody was injured!

Doc Cameron
13th Dec 2009, 23:37
1. Professional well trained crew.

2. Controlled ditching in the sea.

3. 18 pax and crew walk (swim) away with it.

Regardless of the initial cause, the crew did an excellent job and have potentially saves lives - no mean feat. Pilots do normally have a sense of self preservation, the more they invoke this, the fewer lives may be lost. The temptation to persevere those extra few yards or miles to an apparant 'safe haven', has caused more problems than those who have taken the more conservative path.

Well done chaps (chapesses).

Doc

212man
13th Dec 2009, 23:59
Info,
I just looked and couldn't see the actual link to teh video - just the photos. Sorry to be thick!

WOP
14th Dec 2009, 00:00
YouTube - Bristow Puma helicopter right after ditching off the sea of Nigeria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNR9Sjfdm8&feature=player_embedded)

nJNR9Sjfdm8

infosource
14th Dec 2009, 00:15
I'm not sure why but other people don't seem to be having issues. Well at least you can see it linked in this thread now directly.

malabo
14th Dec 2009, 00:21
Great video. What can you guys tell from it - heavy rain, visibility looks poor, expat crew.

No early rumors yet of why it went in? Weather makes me think CFIT, or maybe an engine accidentally shut down when they went to arm the floats, what else.....control problem leading the crew to elect to ditch close, (but not too close), etc?? Passengers look pretty calm, no big rush for the exits.

Nice rescue boat, gear looks complete and well-organized (helmets with visors, lifejackets, etc), arrives pretty quick too. I like that oil company already - is it Chevron?

Epiphany
14th Dec 2009, 04:55
Considering that the very small float arm switch is at the rear of the central console and the very large SSL's and fuel shut off's are in the roof console I can't quite see what you are getting at Malabo.

Kulwin Park
14th Dec 2009, 06:21
Good Effort!!!! Video & Pics appreciated. Gives some of us who haven't had experience out over water or oil gas industry about what actually happens during an emergency.
Sweet that everyone just walked away, and probably even got some hot showers :)

SASless
14th Dec 2009, 12:46
Malabo.....perhaps we might wait a while and see what leaks out. Everyone is guessing this happened during landing, during poor vis, and all sorts of other events. What if it happened after takeoff....what then?

How does one cause a forced landing by arming the floats?

Special 25
14th Dec 2009, 15:03
What are Nutec teaching these days ???

Hand on your buckle - Locate your nearest emergency exit - Take a deep breath - Whip out your iPhone and rattle off a few minutes of video ????

In future I would recommend this passenger wait until they have at least vacated the aircraft and are safely in the raft, as all passengers (not just the crew) have a responsibility to make sure everyone is evacuated safely.

Still, an interesting video and pretty good quality as well. Weather looks foul. 16,000lbs for OEI IGE hover ?? Sounds a bit low, but I too haven't got any figures to back that up - I'm guessing the temp may have been well above 20'C and with that humidity as well, performance wouldn't have been good.

Well done all on a safe and professional evacuation

212man
14th Dec 2009, 15:04
Excellent video showing great discipline and restraint by the pax and superb FRC response! It also shows the Captain commanding from the cabin till every one is safely out :ok: In fact, it's so well done it almost looks like a training exercise - great job John!

SASless
14th Dec 2009, 15:05
What happened to old fashioned leadership......"Follow Me Lads!";)

Epiphany
14th Dec 2009, 15:58
As I said Special 25 I do not have the graphs so that is just a guess but from memory it is not far off. I was only answering SASless's Q about hover weights anyhow. There was no reason in this instance for the crew to calculate that.

They would have calculated the DSELW though and if their AUW was higher than that then there would have been no option to land on the helideck. That limits options to flying back to the beach on a single engine (if that was the problem) or ditching. Crews decision - unless it was made for them by another problem.

SASless
14th Dec 2009, 16:34
A single engine approach to an unstable deck would be an interesting choice if hover performance was questionable at the weight the aircraft was at the time. Given a nice flat warm sea with lots of help immediately at hand would be an attractive alternate option.

Jetboxer
15th Dec 2009, 03:02
Interesting video. I'm amazed that a passenger would pull out a camera, or phone in that situation.... but interesting to see.

At around 14 secs in, is that a crew member saying "I just couldn't stop it going down."?

If it is, we all know there could be all sorts of reasons for such a statement - weather, engine failure. I guess we'll find out in due course.

Great job, for 'stopping it going down' enough for a safe water landing and text book evacuation. :D

Treg
15th Dec 2009, 04:55
Some other interesting audio from a command and control perspective post ditching:

4.5sec “Wait for my command to get in the life raft… motion has stopped…”

18.5sec “Ok gentlemen, at my command…”

And in the life raft:

34sec “pull…back there… and you can get the roof up”

2:30sec “Away… get away from the helicopter!”

My ear may not have picked this up exactly so please feel free to correct if needed, and if anyone can translate the other parts?

SA Wall Fly
15th Dec 2009, 07:21
WELL DONE!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Procedures were followed and no passengers injured.

Helicopter still in one piece! :ok:

Not a nice experience but one hell of a story to tell.

Outwest
16th Dec 2009, 00:04
Rumors it was a power loss on rotation.........

poppahymen
16th Dec 2009, 01:02
Good try but very wrong, wait for the report:ok:

212man
16th Dec 2009, 03:23
wait for the report

Which report would that be, then?:confused:

poppahymen
16th Dec 2009, 03:34
From the good old NCAA, of course. We will have to wait the same length of time as your report of your jungle adventure.:ugh:

Vatz
16th Dec 2009, 05:28
Terrific job of evacuating the aircraft by both pilots and it has to be said for the passengers for actually listening?! :D

Thought I'd seen the last of that laid back Yorkshireman but I suspect I'll be watching that video come my next HUET, and the one after that, and the one after that...:hmm:

123beep
16th Dec 2009, 06:10
Gentlemen.

Fair play to the guys in charge of the 'incident' for doing the right thing, whilst in the water. I am fully aware that a 'crew' is only as good as it's last emergency (outwith the simulator). I hope everyone has respect for the guys involved, to act in such a manner that deserves the ultimate respect. The video shows it!

The last thing they need right now is to be put on the 'spot' by their peers, as happens frequently on this forum.

Everyone in the aviation industry wants to know why a helicopter landed in a place where it shouldn't! In good time my friends........

I concur with my 'learned coleagues' that an "investigation is taking place" and we will await the outcome. Then draw conclusions and then decide where the problem occured and whether the correct actions where carried out.

The Captain of an the A/c is the last person in charge of a very long line of events which lead up to "a flight". There will off course be lots of other people invloved in the investigation, besides the 18 people in the liferaft.

I note with interest that, there has been no mention of this "incident" on the Engineers forum after 5 days! This forum is on page 3!

Could it be there is no news yet! But this forum still continues to post speculations!

Contravertsial mybe.

123Beeeeeep

Ainippe
16th Dec 2009, 07:29
as usual a load of armchair experts on here!!:ugh::ugh::ugh:

SASless
16th Dec 2009, 13:16
Ah yes....wait for the report! Knowing how Bristow and the NCAA work....the only release of timely and accurate info will be by means of the Beer fuelled Jungle Telegraph!

Wizzard
16th Dec 2009, 16:24
wait for the report

The sentiment is sound but what do we tell our passengers when they ask us what happened? Our answer of "sorry, I don't know" makes us look like a bunch of unprofessional idiots.

Surely after all this time there should be the facility to issue a simple statement as to what led to this event.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Ian Corrigible
16th Dec 2009, 17:16
Knowing how Bristow and the NCAA work....the only release of timely and accurate info will be by means of the Beer fuelled Jungle Telegraph!

Unfortunately not a problem unique to Nigeria, as the GCC JHSAT team recently highlighted (http://www.ihst.org/portals/54/montreal/GULFOPERATION.pdf#page=10).

I/C

SASless
16th Dec 2009, 17:43
A few questions for those out there in the tropical paradise known as Nigeria....

The Agbami field is about 50 miles off-shore Brass where there is a good strip for a single engine landing and emergency services. Do SOP's include that as an onshore diversion in case of situations like this one?

What kind of SAR exists now days.....still based in Lagos and relies upon a machine being on the ramp between passenger flights?

What would have been the response time for airborne SAR for a "injured folks" in the water"?

Is the case still one of SAR help is still just a "hope" away?

infosource
16th Dec 2009, 18:13
So Seabird basically requested that I take down the video of the incident. My position is that it was a positive thing to watch. I think it showed professional conduct, what appeared to be well maintained equipment and that they take safety seriously. Not to mention the video doesn't even mention that those are Seabird employees in the boat. True, you can make that inference from the article I wrote but the actual youtube video made no mention beyond it being a Bristow helicopter. For those that didn't get to see it I'm sorry, if you email me through vtolblog I might accidentally respond with the vid.

Does anyone else think it put Seabird in a negative light? I try to remain neutral with everything I write.

heliaddict / vtolblog.com

SASless
16th Dec 2009, 18:56
Keep it posted....as it documents actual events viewed first hand. Nothing embarrassing at all in the video. It shows folks in a stressful situation coping quite well. It does show how benign the landing was as compared to some others that have had much more tragic results.

9Aplus
16th Dec 2009, 19:25
It is positive by all means :D

infosource
16th Dec 2009, 20:02
The problem with keeping it posted isn't so much what Seabird can do about it, it is that the person that works for them has apparently been told not to show it. He implied his job was in jeopardy so I can respect that. I just disagree with Seabird's opinion that it shouldn't be shared.

999driver
17th Dec 2009, 11:20
Regardless of the cause of the incident, the crew have to be commended for a great job in getting everyone out the aircraft in a safe and timely manner and orchestrating the whole procedure so well. Well done John.

lynnx
19th Dec 2009, 20:10
That would be because the "non engineers" are covering all the bases with wild speculation !!!!

griffothefog
20th Dec 2009, 03:32
Speculation or no speculation....... Pumas suck :E

Jetboxer
20th Dec 2009, 04:48
Let's hope Bristow and the investigating agencies don't 'sweep this one under the carpet.'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are we still waiting for a report and factors causing the ditching of AS332L2 G-JSAR?

Scotsheli
20th Dec 2009, 09:29
Jetboxer - I believe that Bristow are also still awaiting the formal G-JSAR report; I don't suppose any operator would comment on an accident / incident formally before the authorities have their say.

lvgra
21st Dec 2009, 13:03
I saw only comments about engine failure; is everybody forgetting about land immediately emergency procedures? What about MGB 0 pressure or very low pressure with some other symptoms like Increased power required at constant collective setting and airspeed, yaw kicks, unusual noise or vibrations, for example? No matter of being only a few hundreds meters from the destiny, land immediately is land immediately!
Let´s wait for some more accurate data...

papa68
22nd Dec 2009, 04:04
Once again I'm amazed (but I really shouldn't be) at some of the posts concerning the recent ditching of a Bristow AS332 in Nigeria.

Given we're all professional pilots (aren't we), presumably we would be in the best position to realise that any number of things could have occurred and Ivgra's post alludes to this fact.

Also, we're the first to criticise those that make fanciful, quick judgements (notably the press), as to what might have occurred in instances such as this.

And yet here we are (some of us) expecting all the facts to be made apparent y'day. I find Wizzard's comments especially amusing. I have personally never felt like an idiot not knowing the facts of the matter as long as I have explained in reasonable terms why this might the case.

However, I have felt like an idiot by getting the answer wrong as a result of passing on rumour and innuendo with no concern for the facts. Use your initiative when talking to your passengers so you don't come off looking like an "unprofessional idiot" as you say. You're a professional pilot for goodness sake :bored:.

If you really want facts, we may have a wait a while. If not, knock yourselves out with as much speculation as you can handle.

Rant over...

P68

Torquetalk
22nd Dec 2009, 07:05
What I find a bit odd is that the number of posts objecting to speculation outweighs the number of speculative posts, of which there have been very few. :confused:

So just to give some balance: how about a microburst causing an unmanageable ROD.

Merry Christmas, especially ye scrooges.

SASless
22nd Dec 2009, 15:07
Keep this under your hat but word is out....."It was Bad JuJu!" That's wat got'em for sure!

malabo
28th Dec 2009, 23:26
This one is strangely quiet. Expat crew normally rules out the "bad juju" theory. Of course there is still the infamous Nigerian "microburst" on equal footing with the alien ditching ray.

Pprune isn't the AAIB or NTSB - any rumors are welcome. Speculations on the other hand are at more risk from the self-righteous censors.

Private Parts
7th Jan 2010, 07:52
Heard from a Bristow engineer that they have been told that there "is no evidence of any mechanical problem with the aircraft".

The reason for this incident IS known - it is just being kept under wraps. WHY??????

After the EC225 CFIT last year there was the most radical look at night poor vis ops that I have ever seen. Maybe there are good lessons to be learnt from this incident, regardless of it's cause.

Come on Bristow - in the interest of Flight Safety and client confidence lift the veil of secrecy!

bb in ca
7th Jan 2010, 08:39
I have to admit it's a bit of a disappointment when a member of our offshore industry sweeps things under the carpet.

XV666
7th Jan 2010, 09:40
I see that the video is still available on t'internet:

GLplm2nYyis

-272.15 degrees Cels
7th Jan 2010, 22:30
Private parts, bb in ca. You two seem so switched on. Why don,t you just tell us all what happened!:mad:

The truth will come out. Stop stiring it.:*

bb in ca
8th Jan 2010, 03:30
-272.15 degrees Cels,

My comments hardly indicated that I am, "so switched on" or that I could possibly tell you what happened.

I see that you've chosen some icons to express your anger for you, I'm sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

I hardly think the "truth will come out" as you say from our west African friends. I've seen many things from that part of the planet and I know that what happens in west Africa often stays in west Africa.

We operate in a rather hostile environment and I like many believe in learning from the mistakes/incidents of others. If someone else ditches or has an otherwise bad day for the same reason before the truth comes out then that would be truly unfortunate.

Fly safe! :ok:

johntaxi22
10th Jan 2010, 14:15
212. You know the pilot too hey!! Did a good job didn't he ?

SASless
25th Jan 2010, 13:04
Still no official word on the latest Accident in Nigeria?

But then as there has been no Press Releases providing any details of the Two Bell 412's that were lost either....this should come as no surprise.

One 412 went down at night during a very questionable set of circumstances while on a "Casevac" flight killing all aboard.

The second 412 crashed at the Mobil QIT....under really odd circumstances killing the only occupant aboard....the pilot.

Now we have a Tiger going for a swim.....and despite there being no one injured and at least one video tape in existence.....still no report telling of the circumstances.

Makes one wonder why the zipped lips!

Bristow using Polygraphs and Voice Analysers to seek out "Leakers"?

Beware the key stroke monitoring programs on the company router perhaps....but when at home on leave....one should be able to spread a bit of word to the rest of us.

js0987
25th Jan 2010, 14:29
SAS - If the Casevac flight you refered to was the one piloted be D.E. I was told by a reliable source several years ago that one of the 412's new light weight doors came off and took out the tail rotor.

Jetboxer
25th Jan 2010, 14:50
Sasless.

Don't forget the G-JSAR L2 off Den Helder to add to your list of 'hushed up' incidents. No official, interim or final reports over 3 years later.

I believe that this particular (G-JSAR) incident has been investigated fully, conclusions been drawn to positive and negative actions taken by the Crew (rear and front). As to why these are not published to the benefit and to enhance the safety of others, beats me.

We shouldn't be depending on 'leaked' information.

Bristow's Target Zero policy :

Zero information following incidents.
Zero lessons learned from said incidents.
Zero embarrassment ..... Maybe thats the aim?

We are left to find out unverified information from sites like this.

Heard from a Bristow engineer that they have been told that there "is no evidence of any mechanical problem with the aircraft".

SAS - If the Casevac flight you refered to was the one piloted be D.E. I was told by a reliable source several years ago that one of the 412's new light weight doors came off and took out the tail rotor.

I hope this pattern is disrupted, and we are able to learn from the Nigeria ditching. And the information shouldn't be limited to those amongst the Bristow Crew room, who are informed through word of mouth. It should be on the table for the whole industry to learn from.

It's not a finger pointing exercise. Its how we progress.

sox6
25th Jan 2010, 15:12
js0987 - I'd heard the same and that one rapid change was to transfer Pan African Airways, who were flying that 412 from the control of Air Log to 'proper' Bristow to cure some major operational management shortcomings of the US run operation.

Jetboxer - On the L2 there has certainly been an exchange of information informally here in the Netherlands as their were some strong inter-company ties with the crew;) and a great interest in the SAR capability JSAR provided to all.

That accident is subject to an official De Onderzoeksraad Voor Veiligheid investigation which would make it difficult for an air operator to release their own report to other operators - which would be rare, yes?

The Board do not act fast but perhaps faster than the investigators in Nigeria, yes? Their limited aviation expertise will have been diverted by the Turkish 737 accident last year. Yet, there has been an interim report, a preliminary report and an Airworthiness Directive all very soon after the accident: Noodlanding in zee, Bristow AS322L2 Search and rescue helicopter, Noordzee nabij Den Helder - De Onderzoeksraad voor veiligheid (http://www.onderzoeksraad.nl/index.php/onderzoeken/noodlanding-in-zee-gemaakt-2006137/)
Are you not seeing smoke when there is no fire?

A few years back you wrote Having worked for both of the red/white and blues in recent years

Then perhaps you should have a few friends from their crew rooms you can talk to.

SASless
26th Jan 2010, 12:48
Digging through my faded memory....the one that was so permanently damaged while drinking Gulder with the Dino's for so many years....brings to mind the following.

The Night Casevac.....was it not reported by the pilot....that a cabin door open light had illuminated....and later bits of the tail rotor, quarter door....and a body of one of the passengers was recovered. The first attempt to use an ROV resulted in the loss of the ROV. Supposition was a cabin door had come open....the passenger may have tried to close it....as there were no door stops installed....the door had slid off and hit the tail rotor thus bringing down the aircraft. Collateral issues were the flight following....or lack of....and the delayed report of the loss of the aircraft to the operator.

The Eket Crash circumstances pointed to Human Factors and suggested there was no mechanical malfunction. Supposition was it may have in fact been a case of suicide?

The latest event....the ditching seems to have gone all quiet....which generally suggests Pilot Error or other human failure.....as if it were an component failure....some sort of AD, SB or Alert Letter would have been issued. Did not the audio of the video have a statement where someone was talking about ...."We just keep coming down...." wonder who said that?

The absence of news.....creates a vaccuum which both Nature and Pilots hate!

mats_rose
10th May 2010, 14:54
Hello.

Does anyone know who's the owner of the video? I am working as an instructor at a safety center in Norway and would very much like to use this video as a part of the general helicopter safety education I'm teaching.

Does anyone know who I can contact to get authorization for showing this in my classes?

Thanks

Mats

malabo
10th May 2010, 15:09
You're kidding, right?

The video has been posted for public use. It is now public domain. Do whatever you want. I give you permission.

You can always fall back on old English common law: publications in the interest of safety cannot be copyright.