PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 1000 - Holdings

Wartender
11th Dec 2009, 12:18
Hey,

our flight school owns a cessna 172 equipped with the Garmin G1000 glass cockpit.
Now I am looking for a function to make the autopilot fly the holdings by itself.

When I program an approach, the Garmin also loads the appropriate missed approach and the autopilot can in the event of a go-around navigate the aircraft to the MAHP and enter the pattern.
But I was unable to find a function to tell the aircraft to hold over any position with a certain inbound track.
I read the entire manual, which stated nothing about this.
Actually I don't even know if the Garmin is capable of doing what I want, but I don't see the reason why it could not.

Do you have any ideas?

rigpiggy
11th Dec 2009, 19:33
If I was a DFTE I would probably give you a hold in the wrong quadrant, just to see if you were paying attention.

ahramin
12th Dec 2009, 01:49
In all the G1000s I have seen the autopilot will fly the published hold including a correct entry.

No way to create a hold though.

Wartender
13th Dec 2009, 10:33
But it is only capable of holding after a missed approach, isn't it?
Just tried it in the computer simulation again, but there is no chance to have it enter the hold at an IAF, at least I don't know how.

B2N2
13th Dec 2009, 11:36
autopilot fly the holdings by itself

Does the aircraft have the GFC 700 autopilot or the Bendix King KAP 140?
The GFC 700 will fly published holds, including the entry "by itself" if the GPS course needle is selected on the HSI.
The same for procedure turns.

The KAP 140 will not fly a published hold " by itself". You will have to change to HDG mode prior to the holding fix. At the holding fix the GPS course needle will automatically switch to display the inbound course of the hold.
If you are still in NAV mode on the autopilot it will turn over the holding fix trying to keep the needle centered.
So to fly the published hold you will have to use the HDG mode and maybe NAV on the inbound course but it is easier to just use HDG.

You can (more or less) create a hold at any waypoint which is in your GPS flightplan. The OBS soft key (bottom PFD) will stop automatic waypoint sequencing when selected.
Using the course select hard key you can rotate the GPS course needle to any desired bearing to the waypoint. You can now fly a hold using HDG mode on either teh GFC 700 or the KAP 140. Neither will fly this non published hold "by itself".
So:

Autopilot on HDG
Select GPS on bearing pointer 2 (BRG2) by selecting the PFD softkey and changing the function of bearing pointer 2.
Prior to the waypoint you want to use for the hold select OBS and select the desired inbound course.
Navigate the remaining distance to the waypoint using bearing pointer 2.
Enter the hold using the recommended entry with the autopilot in HDG.

The G1000 will not depict the hold on the MFD, just the desired bearing to and from the fix.

nitpicker330
14th Dec 2009, 04:46
I was using the GNS430 a while ago and I found the same thing. it was not possible to build a holding pattern apart from the one already created for the published missed approach.

A bit strange considering the Garmin stuff is supposed to be the ants pants.

27/09
14th Dec 2009, 06:50
THe only GA GPS that I know of that you can enter a hold at any waypoint is the Garmin GNS 480, but then it isn't really a Garmin. It is the "ant pants" tho. Garmin bought the company that made it then eventually took it off the market. It was/is far better than any of the Garmin developed GPS's.

Not only can you build a hold, the GNS 480 when connected via GPSS to any autopilot will fly the correct entry and then the hold. If you are hand flying it tells you what type of entry to carry out.

Oktas8
16th Dec 2009, 03:47
Garmin stuff is great because it's very easy to use with (relatively) intuitive controls. And the GNS430 was a very slick unit way back when it was first designed.

While the 480 is more capable than other Garmin units, I find that the Garmin-designed units are easier to use (especially in turbulence!)