PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend some helpful weather dvd's/presentations?

holybejaysus
11th Dec 2009, 11:42
As the thread title asks, can anyone recommend some good weather dvd's/ youtube videos etc? I have the notes and understand the theory, but I want something that can help with practical real world flying, building a complete picture in my mind's eye, and making that crucial go/no go decision. I'm a heli pilot, btw.
Any suggestions?

Whirlygig
11th Dec 2009, 23:47
Videos still wouldn't recreate the view actually looking out the window.

Your instructor is the one who should be guiding you, saying why it's OK to go or not as the case may be.

That level of judgment really comes with experience. And knowing where to get the info and who to ask.

On the day of my CPL test (January :eek:) I even resorted at one point to phoning ATC to ask them to ask a departing aircraft at which height they went into cloud. After a few minutes, the answer came back - 800ft. No go.

I then rang me Mum (some 20 miles away) to ask if the weather was clearing in her direction. Yes it was. So I knew that in an hour, I'd be clear to go.

There's rainfall radar to look at. And, if all else fails, the "suck it and see" method. Get airborne, look around, don't like it, go back. We're helicopters. We can do that.

Cheers

Whirls