PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas Ouch my thumb!!!

wingcmdr
10th Dec 2009, 20:15
Dear All

I have spent today erecting all of our Christmas trees and decorations as instructed by my loved ones.

About half way through this solitary task, whilst at the top of the step ladder trying to fix my illuminated Santa's to the wall, I started to think of all those who may not have their loved one to do this for them this Christmas.

May I be bold enough to say that in this household we will be holding a moment of silence and reflection before we enjoy the feast to remember those who are missing a loved one.

We always watch The Queens speech and our Christmas act of remembrance will take place as soon as her Majesty's speech ends.

For those who will not have the reward of their loved ones presence at future Christmas's please be assured that some of us have you in our thoughts and are greatly aware of the sacrifice they have made to ensure that our loved ones can enjoy a safe and secure Christmas.

Many of us,for whatever reason, know the pain of a solitary Christmas but we always had the belief that we would be home soon and that last Christmas was not really our last... Your pain is unimaginable

May I add from a health and safety point of view that these thoughts do not combine well with swinging a hammer at a small masonry nail whilst holding up a wire and light outline of a fat bloke while balancing at the top of a ladder.

May the God of your choice always keep you and your loved ones from harm and return you all to the bosom of your family.

PS
To the sceptics all I can say is that I have tried for the past two hours to put into words how I feel but this is the best I can do.

PPS
To the politicians all I ask is that they read the operational Santa's lists and provide the gear needed to help keep our loved ones safe for future Christmas's

tarantonight
10th Dec 2009, 20:34
A good Post. The words are fine, two hours well spent and it will certainly be difficult for a lot of families as the 24th becomes the 25th - especially those who have lost someone recently.

As for the PPS to politicians, I think you are wasting your thoughts w/c, the majority do not care. May sound harsh, but I truly think this.

A post around the 11th November by someone claiming to be an MP stated he/she would never wear a Poppy for the same reason they would never wear a badge from another 'charity' as the requests to do so are frequent..............my words, not theirs.

I too will have a minute of silence and raise a glass.

TN.

Brewers Droop
10th Dec 2009, 21:01
I agree, fine words indeed. Infact, it made me pause and look at my own appalling Christmas Tree effort which I'd put up recently with the help of some very young loved ones (who don't yet understand health and safety but know that glass decorations smash up nicely against a wall!).

There will be no sceptics or cynics in this household. Just a family lucky to be together at Christmas when compared to fellow servicemen in harms way and their loved ones who face an often more worrying and difficult time. I cannot find the words for those families whose father will never be home for Christmas anymore. But my family and I will certainly be joining wingcdr in his sentiments and spending a quiet few minutes on Christmas Day thinking of them.

Spanish Waltzer
11th Dec 2009, 17:58
The necessary words have already been said better than I could so simply wanted to add that the Waltzer family will stand quiet for a moments reflection before christmas festivities get underway.

To all those deployed or alone at this time our thoughts are with you.

SW