PDA

View Full Version : Public Sector Pay Freeze

Mick Strigg
10th Dec 2009, 12:15
Does this apply to the Armed Forces?

Will our boys and girls somewhere hot & dusty get 0% whilst the bankers spend their bonuses?

Len Ganley
10th Dec 2009, 12:40
The full document is on the BBC website
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/news/nol/shared/spl/hi/uk_politics/09/budget/09_12_09budget_document.pdf

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to make any reference to an exemption for HM Forces.

Public sector workers are at the heart of delivering world-class public services and

supporting long-term economic growth, prosperity and fairness. Following substantial
investment in public sector pay since 1997, continued pay restraint will be important to
support front-line service delivery while ensuring sustainable public finances over the
medium term. The 2009 Pre-Budget Report sets out an ambitious package of measures on

public sector pay.

Page 116 of the report mentions the pay restriction.

Acoustic
10th Dec 2009, 12:50
Perhaps he thinks it's better to help Bingo players replace their boilers than give money to the public services.

jayteeto
10th Dec 2009, 13:10
Welcome to the real world of Labour, did you actually think they care one little iota about the forces? You and they know that life on ops merits a special case, but they don't care.:mad: The last few years rises have been shamed on them by the press, they don't need to do it anymore because they are dead and buried. Many of us ex-servers are at the 2 years without any pay rise, nowhere near as bad as the military abroad, it is harsh out here.

November4
10th Dec 2009, 13:11
This might not be as easy as he thinks.

For example police staff are in year 2 of a 3 pay deal. So trying to put a pay freeze on next year will either accepted without a wimper or the Unions are going to have a field day with strike calls etc about broken agreements.

Wasn't this lot who wanted 3 year deals as they were better for planning finances etc?? So got the various depts to push them.

So....if the MoD are one of the few public sectors not on a 3 year deal - I see trouble ahead if the MoD get the pay freeze yet other departments don't because of the 3 year deals!

charliegolf
10th Dec 2009, 13:44
I'm guessing (as a recipient of one) that 2011 was chosen to see out said 3-year deals. That's the case for teachers.

CG

anotherthing
10th Dec 2009, 13:54
It does state that categorically that £x million will be saved by instigating a pay freeze.

That seems an awfully bold statement to make unless they are meaning to withhold parts of previously negotiated pay deals.

Otherwise the £x million figure is just specualtion, because as of yet, if no pay rise has been negotiated then no money has been allocated, therefore no saving.

vecvechookattack
10th Dec 2009, 14:45
Just as long as my FRI is safe.... Is it safe ?

green granite
10th Dec 2009, 14:48
Yet they can afford to give away £110 billion to the 3rd world to combat so called AGW. :ugh:

charliegolf
10th Dec 2009, 15:21
gg

110 billion? You sure?

CG

cornish-stormrider
10th Dec 2009, 15:26
I hope you are going to vote when the election cometh. When right wing tory robbing b4st4rds were in at least you knew they didn't blow it on carbon centric policies for disabled lesbian immigrant leprechauns and such like.

Who sold off the gold reserves gordy?? at the record low price - if it was still here they could go to cash4gold and get a better price today.

I do pity you poor sods still in, but at least you are not on the dole.

The next five - ten years are going to be very painful all round

stackedup
10th Dec 2009, 16:18
In case anyone is concerned............. MPs are exempt the pay freezehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

Melchett01
10th Dec 2009, 16:35
In case anyone is concerned............. MPs are exempt the pay freeze

Where on earth did that one creep in under the radar??? But to be fair to our now much poorer dear little MPs, now their allowances have been slashed, and they aren't getting their 50" plasma TVs paid and non-existant mortgages paid for by the general public, they have to get the money back from somewhere. Standards don't you know - can't be seen to be living in an outdated slum with dodgy plumbing, 20 yr old carpets and decorating and the like. That would be too much like living in military accommodation on base.

Although thinking about it, it shouldn't come as any surprise to anybody if the Armed Forces are included in this - despite having their own 'independent pay review board. When times were good and the private sector was raking it in, we had to play along with limits to pay rises in the interests of keeping inflation down across the economy. And now times are bad, we can't have a pay rise because it would be unseemly and we are broke.

Seems like this shower have an excuse for all seasons.

MrBernoulli
10th Dec 2009, 17:19
As a former serviceman, 'retired' and now working in civvy street, I and my fellow workers have just had a pay cut. I suppose it could have been a pay cut for you folk as well? Pay freeze is marginally better than pay cut, surely?

I know, it isn't a welcome thing, particularly when it is largely due to the ineptitude of the unelected chimp and his monobrow sidekick. Never mind that MPs may have exempted themselves from any pay cut, they still haven't implemented any of the recommendations of the Allowances Review of a few weeks back. And the bloke in charge of the so-called implementation has publicly stated that he doesn't have to implement all of it. I suspect he has no intention of of implementing any of it.

Shame on the feckwits who voted for this nepotist, incompetent and most corrupt government this country has seen in modern times!

Impiger
10th Dec 2009, 17:36
OK you've done it now ... got me going on MPs' salaries. Rage:ugh:

Normally when setting salary levels one takes in to account how many folk are interested in doing the job at the advertised rate. Not many quality applicants? Then turn the salary wick up and try again. Last time I looked there seemed to be plenty of applicants for each MP's seat (OK questionable quality but sadly it's difficult to tell on first showing) so surely the thing to do is turn down the salary wick and see how many still want the job?

Simple :ok:

AlpineSkier
10th Dec 2009, 17:37
Forgive me interrupting in an area where I do not usually post however a headline in one of the "quality" papers I read this morning specifically stated that the Armed Forces are not subject to this freeze. Sorry, can't give a link.

skaterboi
10th Dec 2009, 17:47
Story here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8291810.stm)

"No recommendation about pay for the armed forces has been made."

A little bit here on the 3 year deals too....

"And Mr Darling's announcement does not affect teachers, nurses and police officers who are still subject to three year pay deals which come to an end next year.

A Treasury source told the BBC the pay freeze will override the final year of a three-year pay deal for senior public sector workers."

Pontius Navigator
10th Dec 2009, 17:49
I am pleased so say :} that MOD Civil Servants are also on a 3-year pay deal, year one starting in Aug 08. As far as I know that pay deal will be honoured.

A and C
10th Dec 2009, 18:12
While I have a huge respect for the work done by the forces I find it hard to see how a goverment that has got it's self into so much Money trouble (or should I say lack of money trouble) that it can't afford to pay anyone any more.

The fortunate bit is that people in the forces are unlikely to find them selfs in the same situation as I did last year and having to endure a 100% pay cut.

vecvechookattack
11th Dec 2009, 14:39
I hope so as well but next years compulsory redundancies may be widespread

Vage Rot
11th Dec 2009, 20:48
But at least there's enough in the pot to pay an increase in benefits!?? wtf??

Surely if inflation is low and nobody needs a pay rise then the sponging wasters who can't be ar5ed working don't need any more?

Come on Mr Broon, play the white man - so to speak!!

Roland Pulfrew
11th Dec 2009, 21:11
Even better...

Tonight it is announced by the "one eyed Scottish idiot" that the UK has signed up to paying £500 MILLION per year for the next 3 years to countries hit by "global warming", the "highest of any European country". F:mad:ing brilliant. £1.5B would go a long way to meeting the forthcoming cuts in the MOD budget. Is it me or have the current Govt lost the plot.....COMPLETELY?:ugh::ugh:

Clever Richard
12th Dec 2009, 14:53
This is what the Chancellor actually said in the house ref public sector pay (Taken from Hansard):

"The senior civil service will take the lead with a cut in its pay bill of up to £100 million over three years, and any new Government appointment of someone on more than £150,000 and all bonuses of more than £50,000 will require explicit approval by the Treasury. I can announce that for the two years from 2011 we will ensure that all public sector pay settlements are capped at 1 per cent. [Interruption.]
9 Dec 2009 : Column 370

Mr. Speaker: Order. I apologise for interrupting the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Mr. Bellingham, we have, on a regular basis, a running commentary from you, but the House does not need it and the country does not need it either.
Mr. Darling: As with previous pay decisions, we will recognise the special circumstances of the armed forces. "

So the military might, deservedly in my opinion, get more than 1% after all. As a tax payer, I see investment in the military
as an insurance policy against many proven threats to be a far better use of money than wasting it on the myth of man-made climate change.

A merry, and safe, Christmas to all in the UK Armed Forces wherever you are serving over the festive season.

CD