PDA

View Full Version : Sharks Rn Helicopter Display Team

Thomas coupling
9th Dec 2009, 21:51
Trevor Reick is organising a reunion for the 7th August 2010 at Yeovilton for the RN display teams 1975 -1996 inc.
He is trying to contact everyone who was in the Sharks during that period. If you haven't been contacted yet guys, send me a message and I'll ensure it gets to him.
Can anyone remember all the sponsors through that period, we want to approach them again...for posterity you understand:rolleyes:

Mick Strigg
10th Dec 2009, 09:02
Securicor donated a Transit Van!

vecvechookattack
10th Dec 2009, 14:48
Why 7th August? Won't the place be closed? Why not go for a reunion during Airday?

peterperfect
13th Dec 2009, 11:03
Thats the point vecvec. The dins will be a galley raid after the pub closes; bathed in the glow of UV light for old times sake !!

ianp
14th Dec 2009, 15:13
I remember driving that transit van, anyone know what happened to the caravan with all the artwork down the side?

onevan
15th Dec 2009, 08:57
If my memory is correct - it attempted to jump several cars, using wind power alone. Unfortunately it failed in its attempt and was picked up during an extensive FOD plod. Happy days:E

flyer43
1st Feb 2010, 08:33
The website is now up and running and available HERE (http://www.sharksreuniondinner.co.uk)

This event is open to spouses and partners of all aircrew involved in Gazelle Display Teams including the Sharks, Pusser’s Pairs and the 1990’s RN Helicopter Display Teams and the Helicopter Championship, all admin staff of 705 and contract maintainers, Commanding Officers of 705 and Commanders (Air) of RNAS Culdrose.

Ewan Whosearmy
1st Feb 2010, 08:44
Looking at the team photos, it appears that the pilots very rarely stayed on the team for more than a year.

Contrast that with other teams, where expertise and knowledge are carried over due to three-year postings, and I wonder whether the Sharks simply started from scratch each year?

Strictly Jungly
3rd Feb 2010, 08:15
Some great faces of old in the gallery...............I cannot recall seeing Terry Taylor with that hair colouring............I remember the more distinguished version!

comedyjock
3rd Feb 2010, 18:08
Does this include members of the Black Cats past or present?

Aerouk
3rd Feb 2010, 18:17
On the 1989 photos there is a picture of a female aviator with a blue rank badge on her shoulder, what do they mean? I've never seen them before.

airborne_artist
3rd Feb 2010, 18:35
http://81.149.159.193/SharksWebDev2/gallery/86-89/Sharks86_89/images/1989%20Sharks%20Team.jpg

The lady is a Third Officer WRNS (equiv to a Sub Lt) - not sure she was an aviatrix though - RN didn't let ladies fly for real for a few years beyond 89.

snafu
4th Feb 2010, 16:05
Jo Craven was the Staff Officer on 705 Sqn at the time and therefore provided admin assistance to the team for the 1989 season. The first female aircrew didn't start through the pipeline until Sep 90.

6Z3
4th Feb 2010, 22:59
When the WRNS were fully integrated into the RN in 1993, they gave up their original WRNS rank and associated insignia (Third Officer with one blue ring with a diamond-shaped curl, in Jo's case) and became the RN equivalent (Sub-Lieutenant with one gold ring with circular curl).

As for her inclusion in the `89 team phots. I guess the team felt (and I wouldn't disagree) she did more to enhance the image of the team than previous , or subsequent Staff Officer's of 705 Sqn who provided admin support;). Let's face it, looking at that team phot, their image was in serious need of some sort of enhancement.

eagle 86
4th Feb 2010, 23:03
At least she was a good sort and a lot easier on the eyes than most of the pilots - particularly some - no sorry all of the Australians involved in the Sharks!!
GAGS
E86

ozpaddy
5th Feb 2010, 04:03
I saw that some of the participants are rather elusive in getting hold of!! I am meeting up with Razor Keen (ex CPOACMN) next week in Sydney, Australia, along with Roger Brook, Tony Laws, Phil Crick, Colin Brightling, Wacka payne and a few others so I'll let him know about this!!
Hope you all have a good one!
Fly Navy
Paddy O

STAN DEASY
5th Feb 2010, 10:02
OP

Please give Razor my regards - I have fond memories of him, helicopter champs and his blessed Parrot mimicking AGA doors, telephones ane Belisha beacons.

Ah happy days, most of which cannot be put on t'interweb.

SE

fuziz
28th Feb 2010, 18:06
The Breitling's Royal Naval Sharks Reunion, which includes all 705 Squadron aviators who flew formal precision events, will take place on 7 August at a formal dinner at the Wardroom RNAS Yeovilton. The web site is available for further information. sharksreuniondinner.co.uk (http://www.sharksreuniondinner.co.uk)

peterperfect
9th Jun 2010, 08:02
To all former Sharks, Pussers Pairs, 705 Display Pilots and Helo Champs team members: things are shaping up nicely for 7th Aug. Guest of Honour confirmed and a 'sporting' MC to compare the night. If you havn't signed up, now is the time.
Anyone know where Al Bucknall from 1984 team is now located ? PM me if Staff in Conf.
pp

NickB
9th Jun 2010, 09:25
PM inbound... :ok: