PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Flying College in MCY

Mary P.
9th Dec 2009, 19:27
Five senior intructors given the boot. Talk of closure. AFAP now getting involved. Intructors in panic. Lears being replaced by GA aircrafts (or are they?).
WTF?

Going Nowhere
9th Dec 2009, 21:19
Lears to be replaced with Citation Mustangs.

PA39
9th Dec 2009, 21:50
:ok:May be cutbacks due to WFC, Singapore Airlines may be in the same position however the College is a very professional organisation with huge amounts of $$ invested, not only by the Airline but by Steve Padgett of Aeromil. The Lears are possibly being replaced by Mustangs due to the fact that Aeromil are the Distributors for Cessna. They are still quite busy, if the frequency of their aircraft being flown is any indication. Not nearly as frequent as a few months ago, but still busy. A Great organisation and a credit to all involved.

eternity
10th Dec 2009, 13:26
There was an issue with the ageing fleet of Barons and Lears.

The option of a VLJ became a viable alternative to suit both levels of training.

Despite the fact that SQ believes the financial world is coming to an end (they always do....), the Mustangs have nothing to do with the global economy.
The Mustangs had been ordered over two years ago.

Shame to hear about the L45 instructors though - I expected that they would have been kept on to instruct on the Mustangs if they wanted to.

greybeard
10th Dec 2009, 14:21
If they have moved some people on, as the cessna is lighter,smaller and cheaper, so will the conditions for Instructots, maybe?????

The task package was aceptable in S'pore at the beginning in 1992/3 but has steadily reduced as time has worn on.

Still the toughest job around, 200+/- hr cadets in a Lear, initally without a Simulator, the endorsement was usually at night, stalls, steep turns and rapid descents from 35000 to 10000, frightent me spitless, cadets were terrified although few would admit as is their way.

Was however the best fun once you got a handle on the SP IFR with the handicaps of the cadets.

:ok::ok:

Exaviator
10th Dec 2009, 23:04
"Still the toughest job around, 200+/- hr cadets in a Lear, initally without a Simulator, the endorsement was usually at night, stalls, steep turns and rapid descents from 35000 to 10000, frightent me spitless, cadets were terrified although few would admit as is their way."

Know what you mean Greybeard, back in 78 I used to do the same thing off the Malay coast but in a 737. No simulator then either. Most of those lads are now senior management or A380 Captains. Ces't la Vie :ok:

Mick.B
11th Dec 2009, 21:18
How about the Sing college at Yblt. Heaps of new aircraft but things are very slow on the construction side of things for buildings. In fact nothing has started at all. Apparently this winter the weather provided some major issues and some of the aircrfat flew to Northers Victoria to do basic training. Wonder if the are having second thoughts about Ballarat as a base.

slowbus
12th Dec 2009, 07:13
Hi Mick.B,

I think that college you are referring to is called ST Aerospace, which is a different organisation to SFC.

courier101
13th Dec 2009, 09:17
Weather at BLT pretty hard work in winter for VFR training (great spot for IFR training though!), hence Denilliquin base for winter VFR flights.

As for the other issues at BLT........:rolleyes:

truth boy
14th Dec 2009, 04:56
From a mechanical point of view. I would be suprised if the mustangs could keep up the reliability as they age.There servicings allow for longer hours between checks which is good but they are far from learjet quality.From what i understand this is a point that has been raised but quickly ignored.It will be hard to ignore once the service rate drops.

just my 2 cents

gas-chamber
15th Dec 2009, 22:39
If the Mustang is as good as earlier Citations it will be OK. Cessna have learned a lot about what is needed to compete against other similar small jets. Whatever the Mustang may lack in build quality it should make up for in simplicity and easy servicing. But If I was specifying a trainer, I would look very seriously at the Phenom 100 because it is simple and strong.