PDA

View Full Version : Laptop colour + Gamut advice

planecrazy.eu
9th Dec 2009, 13:58
Hi

I am in need of a desktop replacement notebook for travel.

One key thing i need more than anything is graphics and colour (thats 2, sorry)

Graphics cards are easy to see whats good, and whats not...

But screens are something i understand little about.

What i want is a screen that has a 100% or close to abobe rbg gamut.

Sony do then (so i read, but dont know the models?)

Any ideas on Apple gamut?

I know its a little deep for an aviation forum, but i seem to always get the best advice here, beats dedicated forums hands down usually.

Help is very welcome

Bushfiva
9th Dec 2009, 14:30
Matt-screened Dell M6400 springs to mind. It's a huge topic to cover, as I assume you've realised. Lenovo W700 has a built-in calibrator. I would use the W700 as your standard, and go from there. If you're photo-editing for print work, then the most important thing is to calibrate the output device, which is almost certainly CMYK, to the editing workstation. It's true you've got more gamut with AdobeRGB1998 than sRGB, but the main thing is process calibration. If you've not done this before, you'll be quite surprised how dark a room you'll need for a fully-calibrated system: any kind of LED or CFL backlighting has to be turned way down to maximize gamut and dynamic range.

green granite
9th Dec 2009, 17:18
If you visit this site you'll find a lot of answers and monitor reviews as well. TFT Central - LCD Monitor Information, Reviews, Guides and News (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/)

planecrazy.eu
14th Dec 2009, 14:03
Was thinking of a mac, but the only one i can find info on is the 17" and its too expensive for me, my budget is around £1300... Mac covers 70% Adobe sRGB i think, so thats good enough (just about) for what i do...

Looked at the IBM and Dell, but any one know any others that dont attract a premium for brand?

I looked at sony, AW series, read its covers 120%, but article didnt say what model it was, do i guess the top end one only?

cessnapuppy
14th Dec 2009, 16:54
Once you go Mac you never go back

Damn right! *

* No money left for anything else :(

Jofm5
22nd Dec 2009, 02:29
Matt.V

Of course your entitled to your own opinion as are we all.....

We do need to however establish a fair perspective.

As a mac user you will get a very stable environment because the restricted number of platforms the OS will run on. OSX is tied to only work with those machines provided by apple. There are many hacks to this but above board OSX requires apple hardware.

It is very boring this discussion, the whole mac vs PC - they are two different machines with two different goals.

A mac is a great machine, I own one, but would I RISK going day to day with it the answer is never. I can further explain that if you like but on the whole it does the generality of what the general population wants in an adequate manner. However if we deviate from the norm the mack is just a useless brick.

I need to know that what I need to do will work, okay some bright spark may have a freeware add on for this that or the other but can I run a business on this principle ?

The worst thing apple ever did is tie their OS to their hardware, it is only viable cause of the iphone.

I personally hate to see the fact that mac owners openly promote a mac just because it does what they require and think its the great solution to everyone.

As a software developer working on the mac at the moment I can only say I think its a huge can of worms at least from my perspective.

planecrazy.eu
22nd Dec 2009, 14:42
The MAC is coming up a winner for me at the moment, as its got the right hardward and a good screen that is very easy to calibrate as i have read a fair few of these brilliant screens just dont callibrate well...

As far as i was aware, you can run windows just as well on a MAC, and you have the bonus of been able to run within one another if you need both open at the same time ( i know performance would be flawed in this case )

Above said, the MAC is not good from a software developers point of view, and i wanted to know a little more as a fair chunk of my work is code based, and the rest graphics, motion and audio.

I would never consider buying a MAC desktop, as they seem very expensive for the hardware thats in them, and the screens are not really all that when compared to some tops makers high end models that are still in most cases cheaper.

I have been looking at the Dell XPS16, RGB LED LCD, so good colour, but i have read a fair few places its hard to callibrate the colours, reds in particular.

My solution is looking better matched with getting an external monitor for colour work, and getting a laptop with good graphics and ok screen colour/illumination/etc...