PDA

View Full Version : BIH Penzance?

C.Korsky-Driva
18th Dec 2008, 19:39
Does the move from PZ to Lands End Airport mean the end for the rather dubious Cat A Heliport departure and a return to more sensible Cat A clear area ops?

At 400 ft AMSL the IFR ops are going to be challenging. Wonder what the plan is? GPS? VOR/DME?

I seem to remember that the road to Lands End from PZ had a bit of a reputation for plenty of accidents. The increase in traffic will make it even more interesting.

I wonder what will happen if the rumour of moving the mainline railway from PZ to Falmouth becomes a reality? Will Scillonia follow suit? or... was it the other way around.

Well............ this is a rumour network..................

CK-D

jalbert1
18th Dec 2008, 20:24
If nothing else the WX issues alone will prove to be interesting.Lands End has a far worse weather record than the sheltered PZ heliport.A fohn effect I reckon.Not sure what minima the S61s operate to but when you can't see one end of the car park from the other it's all rather academic.Also wind.Whats the limit windspeed for rotor starting?As for future approaches (which will be non precision) with a 250 ft and a 350 ft - that's AAL by the way- hill within 1 km of the airfield minima are likely to be on the high side of ideal.A lot more in the way of hard surfaces will be required.Even a (gasp) runway?
All this will require a BIG upgrade to EGHC in every way and it will be great to see it .If it means the jobs of all (PZ and LEQ) are secured and hopefully more created then I wish it well.
Shame about the flying school and based private aircraft though.Can't there be a bit of a rethink here?I mean where do most of the Skybus pilots come from?What are AOPA going to say about one of their favourite airfields turning its back on GA?

C.Korsky-Driva
18th Dec 2008, 20:31
JailB

Are you saying that BIH arriving will mean somebody has to leave?? Surely not, I thought the idea was to share the running costs of the airport not take it over.

Of course this can't possibly be a scam for TJ et al to cash in on the sale of the heliport site can it? Do BIH own the ground or lease it? Could be one way of raising some much needed cash. Not so good timing though......... 6 months ago the market would have been bullish now selling property in PZ will be a touche less profitable. I think you would need about 28m Euro for a couple of new AW139s ........ pity about the £ going down the toilet, Still..... may be enough for a deposit.

CK-D

fagin's goat
10th Jan 2009, 09:54
Apparently Radio Scilly has reported that the helicopter is not going to move to Land's End this season. What happens after that no one knows.

jkl
10th Jan 2009, 12:35
It all seems a little odd with the heli operation going to Lands End. Surely they will have to price match now they are going to be in the same location as skybus? It must cost considerably more to run the heli than the islander, but if your a punter you will go with the cheapest price if they are based at the same location?

Lands End will never get a tarmac runway it has been done to death previously & I personally find it odd that they have booted out all the GA, told all the private a/c owners to find new hangarage & they are closing down the flying school, plus now planning to close the airport on Sundays! Surely there will not be enough funding to maintain the aerodrome let alone develop new facilities to help with IFR ops.

C.Korsky-Driva
10th Jan 2009, 14:13
The S61 RFM says, if I recall correctly, that any grass surface used must be 'firm'. Well there were some pretty 'Nelsonian' views taken of places like North Denes I seem to remember and PZ was at least well drained but what of Lands End? Will the EASA era bring with it an end to casting a blind eye over such things? I'm not entirely sure that the original CAA Cat A increased AUM (from 19,000 to 20,500) actually envisaged operating from grass at that higher mass. We did of course, but that's another thing entirely.

Anyone have any more accurate recollections?

C.K-D

jkl
10th Jan 2009, 16:34
No accurate recollections but all I know is that every grass part of Lands End becomes water logged in the winter months & they have to reduce the serviceable areas inc runways/parking quite considerably.

It will be interesting to see what improvements they need to make to the airfield in order to operate the S61, however it seems that apart from the skybus there will be less trafic due to the elimination of GA so not sure where the funding will come from!

jkl
12th Jan 2009, 19:41
So S61 operation now staying at penzance for this year at least

Scilly flights will stay at Penzance for 2009 (http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/homepagenews/Scilly-flights-stay-Penzance-2009/article-606989-detail/article.html)

Boslandew
12th Jan 2009, 20:22
Just for info, Penzance has an IF approach valid only for Co aircraft. It is GPS based, height against distance to run. However, the approach requires use of the NDB based the heliport, cross-referencing against radials and DME from Lands End VOR and also identification of the very prominent coastal swimming pool on the aircraft radar. It is probably one of the most complicated approaches in the world. It sounds Mickey Mouse but in practice works very well - I regularly flew six a day. It has been around for many years, using Decca before GPS. The minima are 350'/900 metres.

Max wind speed for rotor engagement on the S61 is 50 knots although there is a diagram limiting that according to wind relative to the aircraft heading. Not a problem at Penzance, rarely a problem even in windy Sumburgh, unlikely to be much of one at Lands End.

The fixed wing have long priced their seats somewhere just below the helicopter so have always had a price advantage. Monster profit for an Islander. One of the helicopter advantages is that it can carry 25 pax, with seats for thirty with children keeping the weight down against 8 for the Islander and 18 for the Twotter. It can be loaded/off-loaded/refueled rotors running which means very speedy turn-rounds.

There are no IFR ops from Lands End but that doesn't mean that there never will be. The helicopter does have an IF approach into St Marys on Scillies again based on GPS, Lands end VOR/DME and the Scillies beacon.

Every part of Lands End does not become water-logged in wet weather. I carried out a 61 conversion Penzance in winter '76, typical Cornish wet winter. Rejects (at least 90% of MAUW) were carried out at Lands End without any problems.

Its worth bearing in mind that if the company can no longer make a profit at Penzance due to having to fund an airfield out of its own profits and facing steep increases in spares annually, it must do something. Further, any problem raised in this column is likely to have been considered by the company and they still feel its worth moving.

Why should selling the heliport be called a scam? If you own something you have every right to sell it if you wish and if its a good business move. How better to raise money (admittedly not right now) for new aircraft?

fagin's goat
16th Jan 2009, 11:02
Boslandew, are you on BI's board of directors or something! If Lands End is so good why did BEA move the operation to the heliport in 1964-5? Of course the owners have the right to sell the heliport having claimed it is losing money but it is more than a shame to close a unique facility like that in exchange for a one off wad of cash. The fact is, operating from sea level is bound to be more reliable than trying to do the same from 401ft amsl with Cornish gale-force fog (= low stratus).

Nuada
17th Jan 2009, 00:22
Goat,
Perhaps the potential cash represents a bridge of sorts for BI, in order to enable the company to continue the operation until better economic conditions exsist?
The uniqueness of the East Green heliport will provide cold comfort if the operation has to cut costs or staff to remain functional.
Change in this industry is often sadly inevitable, and we are all left to sort through the resultant debris. There have been other helicopter airlines once upon a very long time past.
It may not represent the 'best' way forward, but it may well be the only way to survive?
cheers
:ok:

Boslandew
17th Jan 2009, 10:42
Nuada

Thank you for a thoughtful reply

Fagins Goat

Just for the record, no, I'm not on the BI board, merely, as I made clear, an ex-employee.

In my entry, I was hoping to make clear some of the facts. I did not expect, in an aviation thread, to have to make them all. Of course sea-level operations are easier than those from an airfield at 400'. There are many points in favour of remaining at Penzance, not the least being road/rail access.

However, the company made a loss last year due to a drop in pax numbers, the enormous annual increase in the cost of spares for an ageing aircraft and the cost of operating an airfield (the heliport) solely from its own profits. It can do little about the first, nothing about the second but it can do something about the third.

Operations from Lands End will not be as easy as from Penzance. However, each flight will save some ten minutes round trip flight time. Five flights, roughly, can be made from Lands End for the flight time required of four flights from Penzance, a considerable saving. Lower fuel loads will raise pax loads by 1 or 2 pax, an increase of 4-8% in revenue.

Here's the question. Does the company remain at the heliport with its obvious advantages and go slowly (perhaps rapidly) broke or does it move to another airfield where it can share the airfield costs and where, it has clearly calculated, with the advantage of having all the facts, it can remain in profit.

Certainly Penzance Heliport is a (not quite) unique facility. However, lets be business-like. The company is faced with making a continuing loss partly through operating from there. It owns the heliport. It needs considerable funds to replace its ageing fleet. The likely replacements, the S92 or Westlands Heliliner are very expensive. While sale and closure may be a 'shame' - is that a business term - to close the heliport after 45 years, it probably offers the only way forward for the helicopter service to the Scillies.

I am trying hard to look at both sides of the argument

Thomas coupling
9th Dec 2009, 12:49
I may have missed this one - apologies.
I have heard from a couple of independent sources that:
(a) BIH have moved out of Penzance to a non descript private airstrip on the North Cornwall coast.
(b) BIH have since gone into administration.

Anyone shed any light on these rumours please?:(

Ta.

RHRP
9th Dec 2009, 14:07
TC,

I can confirm that the helicopters are flying normally in and out of the Penzance Heliport and that BIH is very definitely not in administration.

I know that this is a rumour network, but completely inaccurate posts like this can have an effect on people's livelihoods and I hope that the mods will remove it asap.

RHRP

Whirlygig
9th Dec 2009, 14:31
Fair's fair - TC's information isn't too far off.

British International Helicopters Ltd (previous directors Kevin & Ian Maxwell :eek:) is indeed, in Administration and has been for many years.

However, British International Helicopter Services Ltd which operates the flights appears to be doing grand.

Cheers

Whirls

Thomas coupling
9th Dec 2009, 18:11
RHRP wind your neck in son and calm down. :ugh:

Whirly: Hows tricks?

Whats the link between the two and I most certainly heard correctly from a reliable source that they saw the cabs flying in and out of Perranporth I think it was?
I have also heard from an inside source in Bournemouth that several staff are on compulsory leave, there?

DeltaNg
9th Dec 2009, 19:10
The 61's are still flying as usual from Penzance, I saw them today (just about) through the misty/haze en-route to the Scillies....

Spanish Waltzer
9th Dec 2009, 19:39
Aren't BIH a main player in one of the SAR-H bidders?

Helinut
9th Dec 2009, 21:05
At one stage, at least, I believe that BIH used the legal entity of Veritair to operate using the pre-existing Veritair AOC. [I am guessing but this might be about the time that Maxwell's empire went down the tubes]. Essentially, they bought the then Veritair Ltd for its AOC (presumably from Julian Verity). The name was something like Veritair Ltd (BIH t/a): they traded that way for a number of years. Since then, Veritair Cardiff has "spun off" from that legal entity and trades separately. I guess the Welsh bit have set up another similarly named company and are doing their own thing.

Is there any sign of that original Veritair company having gone bust?

Whirlygig
9th Dec 2009, 21:33
Yo TC :ok: Let's face it - anything that involved the Maxwells is still worthy of gossip. :p

I guess the Welsh bitWould that be a Welsh rare-bit? :} Called Veritair Aviation Ltd; a relatively newly-formed company.

Veritair Ltd changed its name to British International Helicopter Services Ltd so is still going under the same legal entity.

Cheers

Whirls

trex450
10th Dec 2009, 06:51
Whats the link between the two and I most certainly heard correctly from a reliable source that they saw the cabs flying in and out of Perranporth I think it was?

TC
if your going to start rumours up you ought to make sure that your reliable source (you think) has got their information right. Maybe they got an R22 mixed up with a 61!

Thomas coupling
10th Dec 2009, 21:07
trex450: if the source and information was correct - it wouldn't be a rumour then would it? And I wouldn't be repeating it on this rumour network would I?
Duh! :ugh:

longey
11th Dec 2009, 14:17
BIH are in liquidation, company renamed after Maxwell fiasco and now BI. Who are in the bidding for SARH

Whirlygig
11th Dec 2009, 15:01
Not strictly true; see posts #3 and #8. BIH Ltd is still in administration (not quite the same as liquidation) and is still called BIH Ltd.

The company that was renamed was Veritair Ltd to become the current British International Helicopter Services Ltd, the company now commonly known as British International.

Cheers

Whirls

trex450
31st Mar 2010, 07:16
Isles of Scilly helicopter link firm 'to sell heliport'

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45309000/jpg/_45309528_chopper_226.jpg BIH said the move would shorten flight times and save money

A helicopter company that provides the main air link between Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly plans to sell off its heliport for redevelopment.
British International Helicopters (BIH) has agreed to sell Penzance Heliport to Sainsbury's.
The sale is subject to the firm gaining planning consent for a new store.
Flights will continue from Penzance until the end of September 2011 when BIH plans to operate services out of Land's End or possibly Newquay.
The Penzance base has provided a flight link to the islands for about 40 years.
Flights from the Penzance site will continue for the next two seasons, BIH said.
Managing Director Tony Jones said the deal had been worked on "for some months".
The company announced at the end of 2008 that it planned to move operations to Land's End Aerodrome.
It said the move was necessary because the route had been losing money for years and the new base would help cut journey times and save money.
However, Tony Jones said that the company was now also looking at how operations could work from Newquay.

BBC News - Isles of Scilly helicopter link firm 'to sell heliport' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/8596094.stm)

Thomas coupling
31st Mar 2010, 14:43
"...It said the move was necessary because the route had been losing money for years and the new base would help cut journey times and save money...."

Mmm the move would cut atleast 3 minutes off the journey down to Lands End instead of Penzance from Bristol say.

It's going to be Newquay isn't it. No contest. Newquay International would welcome this service with open arms. Trouble is, could BIH afford the charges from this new airport. Catchment area is far better.

bolkow
31st Mar 2010, 15:03
three minutes a time multiplied by the amount of times that aircraft flies per year would be significant to any accountant.
If it accumulates 1750 hours per year flying and the trips are 20 minutes each way, a three minute saving equates to a flight time saving of 131.25 hours per year. And I am not even an accountant. :8

leopold bloom
31st Mar 2010, 17:03
What makes you think it's expensive? Lots of advantages in operating from Newquay despite the longer route to the Scillies.

griffothefog
31st Mar 2010, 18:58
I'm sure it will work from Lands End because they won't reduce the fares!!
But from Newquay??
Yep, ILS available, but the flight time plus at least 25 mins... that would make the fare non competitive with fixed plank from Lands End surely?
Good luck selling that one TJ... :ok:

ec135driver
31st Mar 2010, 20:12
Pretty good of TC to get this as a rumour on Dec 9th last though wasn't it? He got royally rogered for it I see as I look back up the threads! Must have been in the later stages of planning at that point?

Well done TC :ok:

handysnaks
31st Mar 2010, 20:39
Do you want his babies?:ok:

Or don't make him anymore bigheaded than he is already:p

trex450
1st Apr 2010, 12:15
all rise for TC

bolkow
1st Apr 2010, 13:18
as in "stand up" I assume you meant?

Whirlygig
1st Apr 2010, 16:49
Our TC ain't just a pretty face :}

Cheers

Whirls

diginagain
2nd Apr 2010, 23:02
Penzance heliport signs superstore deal

PENZANCE heliport has signed a deal with supermarket giant Sainsbury’s to sell the site for redevelopment, it was announced today.
British International says the agreement provides the company with a financial platform to “consolidate” its main UK operations in Cornwall and provide a boost to the regional economy.
The service between Penzance and the Isles of Scilly will continue to operate from the site throughout the 2010/2011 seasons.
The sale is subject to a successful planning consent for a new store following a public consultation with the Penzance community.
British International managing director Tony Jones said: “The agreement with Sainsbury’s is a welcome opportunity. It means that we should be able to continue operating a helicopter passenger service between Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly beyond 2011.

“We will be finalising our relocation plans over the coming months and will be working with Sainsbury’s and the local community regarding proposals to regenerate the site in Penzance.”

At least I won't have to travel all the way to Truro to do some decent shopping.

fagin's goat
4th Apr 2010, 18:37
So what is the chance of Cornwall council planning permission department letting the heliport go in exchange for another supermarket?

diginagain
4th Apr 2010, 19:41
So what is the chance of Cornwall council planning permission department letting the heliport go in exchange for another supermarket? Given that Eastern Green is, I believe, zoned for retail rather than residential development, the odds are pretty good, notwithstanding this will create a third supermarket within a kilometer stretch.

Nuada
5th Apr 2010, 01:43
I am sure it will no doubt please both Tesco and Morrisons as well?

:rolleyes:

pennineuk
3rd Dec 2010, 18:00
Interesting development with this BIH announcement (http://www.businesscornwall.co.uk/news-categories/cornish-economy-news-categories/bih-hits-back-in-islands-link-row-123):

British International Helicopters (http://www.islesofscillyhelicopter.com/) (BIH) has hit back at last week’s decision (http://bit.ly/bv0073) by the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company to conclude negotiations over the relocation of its the Isles of Scilly helicopter service to Land’s End Airport.
In a statement, BIH expressed “great surprise” at the announcement, indicating that it believed plans to relocate from Penzance to Land’s End Airport, which is owned by the Steamship Company, were firmly on track.
BIH reassured that it remains committed to the Isles of Scilly route, and that it will “evaluate other base options”.
It said: “The Company has stated publicly on numerous occasions that it is commercially impossible for BIH to continue to operate the helicopter service to the Isles of Scilly from Penzance.
“One of the options we were considering was having our helicopters based and serviced at Newquay, and running a shuttle service in the tourist season from Land’s End Aerodrome, and in the winter from Newquay.

Unfortunately, the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company (http://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/) has announced that it will not give us access to operate through Land’s End Aerodrome. This announcement came as a great surprise to us as in July 2010 we were informed that the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company Board had approved its CEO to begin commercial negotiations with BIH to agree the terms for use of Land’s End by our helicopters. Initial negotiations put forward indicative rates, there being no need for operational matters to be discussed as these issues had been largely agreed back in 2008 when the move of the helicopters to Land’s End was first mooted.

“BIH remains committed to the route between the Isles of Scilly and the mainland, as we believe it would not be in the interests of people living on the Islands, and on the mainland, not to have a reliable helicopter service, and to leave the route to be served by a passenger and freight vessel and a fixed wing airline, both owned by one company.
“We continue to evaluate other base options from which to operate the helicopter service, and will announce our plans for the operation of the helicopter service beyond the 2011 season as soon as they are finalised.”
It is also reported (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-11905176)separately that BIH has announced it will be operating an aircraft engineering centre by the end of the year, but nothing on where pax will fly from.

Epiphany
3rd Dec 2010, 22:04
Connections between the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company, The Russian Federation and FIFA are ongoing. Answers on the back of a brown paper envelope containing lots of any reputable currency are welcome.

Savoia
21st Oct 2011, 09:47
Cornwall Council has approved plans to build a supermarket on the site of the British International Helicopters (BIH) terminal in Penzance, west Cornwall.

The application by Sainsbury's would also enable the heliport to be relocated to St Erth.

Sainsbury's said the proposed project would create up to 400 new permanent and part-time jobs.

The news has been "welcomed" by Tony Jones, the managing director of British International Helicopters.

Mr Jones said: "It's a very important first stage in making sure the helicopter service can survive long term."

The BIH announced in March 2010 it had done a deal with Sainsbury's for the Long Rock site.

BIH said it must sell the current heliport in order to survive and use the proceeds from the deal to buy new aircraft and bid for new business.
Sainsbury's said it would provide a park-and-ride scheme, petrol station and business units, in addition to the supermarket.

On Tuesday protesters campaigning against the new heliport site challenged BIH to prove they would not be badly affected by noise.

BBC News - Sainsbury's plan for Penzance helicopter site approved (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-15380813)

Boslandew
24th Oct 2011, 17:32
In a nutshell, BIH wishes to sell the Penzance site to raise capital for new aircraft. It agreed a deal with Sainsbury's and was intending to move the service to Lands End airport. The Isles of Scillies Steamship Co who own Lands End airport and from where Skybus operate Islanders and Twin Otters to St Mary's on the Scillies initially said yes and then no.

BIH now plans to build a new heliport parallel with and east of the A30/railway line just south of the railway station at St Erth and have published plans. They hope to move to St Erth in 2012 and the service will continue from Penzance until then

Thomas coupling
24th Oct 2011, 19:16
All's well that (lands) ends well ;)

heli1
25th Oct 2011, 10:28
Not yet...they have to get planning permission at St Erth and the natives are restless!

jonnyloove
25th Oct 2011, 10:50
What new types of aircraft are they going for..? Are they phasing out the S-61's..?

Boslandew
26th Oct 2011, 10:40
Amid all the rumours/facts that have been circulating locally, the only one I have heard about aircraft is that the money may be used to purchase aircraft for other parts of the company.

The S61/payload/route/weather/summer-heavy year-round demand is just about the perfect combination, (allowing for a slight shortness of breath in the summer)., for a helicopter which is why the service has been so successful. Its difficult to see any aircraft replacing the S61 until rising spares costs prices the 61 out of any market. An educated guess, I have no current inside info.

seagreenmaid
11th Nov 2011, 18:37
Tweeted by Radio Scilly today:
"BIH have withdrawn their planning application for a heliport at St Erth citing unresolved concerns amongst local residents as the reason.
They say they will continue to fly out of Penzance until June 2012 and have the option of using Newquay if necessary."

MADTASS
15th Nov 2011, 09:24
We were Told Last Shift that they will be Operating out of Newquay from around April i think until a More Suitable Airfield / Premises are found.

It was in the News just Recently.

Non Emmett
28th Dec 2011, 16:41
I'm heading over to the Scillies shortly on the S-61 route from Penzance, I last used this service in 1973 or so ! It occurs to me the S-61s are getting relatively long in the tooth and wondered what might reasonably replace them on the St. Mary's and Tresco routes. As far as I'm aware the Super Puma carries less than 20pax.

The transfer of the service - presumably on a temporary basis - from next summer to Newquay is going to put additional pressures on the operators in view of the distances involved . I would be interested in the views of those of you who obviously know a great deal more about this subject than me.

diginagain
28th Dec 2011, 19:04
As far as I'm aware the Super Puma carries less than 20pax.

19 seats in the cozy AS332L2/EC225 cabin that takes me to work. Not too bad for the relatively short Scillies service, but gets a bit tiresome after 2 hours.