PDA

View Full Version : Telex vs Beyerdynamic

daniel.nitzan
9th Dec 2009, 06:47
Hi,
Can you please help me decide between Telex Stratus 50 Digital and Beyerdynamic HS 600?
They both feature digital ANR, but how do they perform in flight? I can't find any decent review or round up of the Beyer...

ground_star
9th Dec 2009, 17:57
As an ex ground guy now working in the broadcast industry, I can tell you that there are people around who simply wont use any other than Beyer for professional production work.

That said, I have always found Telex stuff to be far more robust...Beyer might have made every part of their headset user replacable...but you can bet they'll charge a fortune for the parts!

Just 2P from someone who has been on both sides of the fence... :)

4blue
9th Dec 2009, 19:36
I have used the Telex 50D for the last two years in a variety of operations.

I have been VERY happy with them. By far the best combination of passive and active.

They are LARGE and they are heavy. But that's because of all the passive they have. They have more passive than regular David Clark's. So even without batteries they are better for your ears than a normal headset. This can't be said for many (any?) other ANR headsets.

Without the batteries it is just a normal headset. Which is good because I would always forget spares, or lose one of them, etc. This way I fly until the batteries die. Then recharge after that pairing.

If you plug in a phone / music player they will NOT auto-mute. Which is the way I like it. But a lot of people don't like it.

I have no experience with the other headset.

kms901
9th Dec 2009, 19:58
Like ground star I have used both makes in a "broadcast" context. I have thousands of hours wearing Beyer DT108/109/220's. Telex stuff was always more heavy duty and clamped onto your head.

Digital ANR is a marketing pitch. Same kind of process, probably better signal to noise.

daniel.nitzan
11th Dec 2009, 10:23
Thank you all for your quality advice.
I am going to get the Telex, robustness is important for me, they look comfy, their size/weight don't bother me.

Thanks!

Dan.

Jimmyjimjim
11th Dec 2009, 23:46
Also on the other side of the fence. (Professional audio)

But I have a slightly different experience regarding robustness/price of parts.

Beyerdynamic: Super robust (Headsets and microphones), Easily replaced parts for cheap. (of 15 headsets/10 years/daily use, only one needed service, and it was cheap. Own other products too-Mikes- no service needed)

Beyer has a superb reputation in Pro Audio, and it has been that way for 45 years. Their headsets is a studio standard, and their mike-technology is legendary from being a prefered brand with artist ranging from recording Jimi Hendrix' guitar, The Band's vocals and Led Zeppelin's drums in the 60's/70's, up until it being probably the best choice for miking String sections even today.
Speech quality and robustness should not be a problem!

Telex: Own 3 different products, of which two needed service within 5 years. VERY expensive service and parts, new replacement cheaper overall. But Telex, being part of the same company structure as legendary audio names like mike and PA-maker Electro-Voice, Gold standard touring Mixing Console maker Midas and leading concert processing maker Klark-Teknik also has a Superb reputation for great sounding products.

I used some of their aviation products too, and the quality seems familiar. I would recomend either, but you should probably base your decision on your local service and prices.