PDA

View Full Version : NYE Sydney harbour

Jay Bo
8th Dec 2009, 23:54
Just wondering if harbour orbits are available on NYE at midnight

thanks

Howard Hughes
9th Dec 2009, 00:04
In my experience fireworks are better viewed from the ground than at 1500 feet!:E

FJ44
9th Dec 2009, 00:27
Probably not at 1500 but have done at 6000 a few years ago. Not as good as from the ground but it was impressive seeing all the barges up the river/harbour going in time. Only problem was having to fly another hour to crack the first beer.

VH-XXX
9th Dec 2009, 01:10
The last time I saw someone innocently take off to watch fireworks in their Maule for an enjoyable little NVFR jaunt, they were very surprised to find that when they returned to their local field only 3 miles away that it was almost completely blanketed by fog. Some skillful flying got them back on the ground safely again and made me realise how quickly things can go bad on you.

codenamejames
9th Dec 2009, 02:18
gotta watch that Temp/Dewpoint split!

I went for a NVFR flight on guy fawkes night - the view was amazing - like a battle zone right accross the city.
What made it even more spectacular/interesting was a large bonfire that began burning out of control on a property beneath the base leg of the circuit - it being a cool and clear night in New Zild the huge thermals created from the fire had a real effect on the aircraft!

longrass
9th Dec 2009, 08:08
Territory day in Darwin, technicolour baghdad, you look awesome from 1500 around mindil I reckon

Ivasrus
9th Dec 2009, 10:01
Jay Bo,

Send a case of beer to SY TCU (pm for address) and you'll get the lowest level above any IFRs (so plan 3000 or above).

Enjoy the show.

Orion Delta
9th Dec 2009, 10:27
FJ44,

Just out of curiosity, how did you do orbits at 6000 ft when the ERSA has said 1500 ft ? Was this an I.F.R plan? i have only done it at 1500 ft.

Kind regards

b_sta
9th Dec 2009, 19:40
You would assume that he received airways clearance and requested a higher level than 1500 if available, would you not?

fasterblaster
9th Dec 2009, 21:52
If you cleared to do it you can go at whatever height you want. Doing a night city flight with friends I have often been cleared direct from the bridge back to bankstown after sydney has closed for the night.

wheatbix
9th Dec 2009, 23:10
Orbits are normally available over the harbour however they are usually offered on a first-come-first-served basis. Because of the mascot's curfew after 11pm clearances are easier to obtain without a lot of RPT traffic being an issue (however there are still some freight services running but on the curfew runway nomination).

LSALT in the area after night is 2100 however due to the fireworks you'll normally get moved to much higher or somewhere else at 9pm and again at midnight.

I've been over the harbour before during fireworks and the view is unreal but to be honest the thought of going around in circles for an hour and not being able to drink at all isn't that appealing, especially when I could be on the ground having a much better time. It's still worth doing once, just hope for good weather!

Howard Hughes
31st Dec 2009, 21:48
In my experience fireworks are better viewed from the ground than at 1500 feet!
I would like to withdraw my earlier comments on this thread. I was lucky enough to view the 2100 Sydney fireworks from 6000 feet and they were quite impressive!

Passed over Bindook at about five to nine and then virtually the whole of Sydney errupted into a mass of expolsions. Especially good were the city fireworks which were exploding upwards through a 700 foot overcast just South of the city.

Also a close up of the Brighton fireworks on Botany Bay from short final for 34 right!:ok:

Orion Delta
1st Jan 2010, 00:09
Howard> I was inbound from the north west and on 125.8. I swear i heard the controller say something about restriction due to cloud being low and giving you another option to go somewhere else, or it could have been someone else? Did Departures say it was o.k for higher orbits?

Pretty nice night, wasn't it! :ok:

Howard Hughes
1st Jan 2010, 01:23
There was very low cloud to the South of the city (about 700), the only restriction I heard was 34L not being available due to fireworks on Botany Bay!:eek:

It was a good night!:ok:

flyingpom
21st Dec 2010, 03:48
Anyone been up along victor one / Sydney harbour scenic 1 or 2 on New Years eve?

VH-FTS
21st Dec 2010, 06:05
Do you mean flying along Victor 1 at night or in the day?

bentleg
21st Dec 2010, 07:25
Was discussed last year (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/398312-nye-sydney-harbour.html). (Try a forum search........)

Victor 1 is Day VMC only.