PDA

View Full Version : Coventry goes under

g-mady
8th Dec 2009, 18:47
Sky story that Coventry has gone bust. 70 job losses.

Personally never had a good experience there anyway! What does this mean for the likes of heliCenter? Can they still operate from there?

CAA saying no ATZ or atc now.

MADY

stringfellow
8th Dec 2009, 19:57
does that mean the atz no longer exists,,,,

ab33t
8th Dec 2009, 20:13
It just becomes a normal aiport , like Elstree etc.

Whirlygig
8th Dec 2009, 20:40
...except Elstree is open :}

Cheers

Whirls

Rigga
8th Dec 2009, 21:17
What a pity.

I remember setting up the first ThomsonFly/KLMUK maintenance operation there not so many years ago...oh well.

fluffy5
9th Dec 2009, 00:34
Sorry to see them close. I remember sitting around in the morning for the weekly airport meeting, waiting with the other companies to turn up at the normal entertaining meeting with Mike.
The flying schools, air atlantic would all be told we are doing this today any objections, and then be laughed at by the airport mangement because they were doing it any way.
They shafted them for thomson, then thomson went......
So who has been at coventry, the good old GA, still there, still trying to support coventry airport.
So where is Air Atlantic going, Almat and helicentre.
If the airport is closed, it can't come at a worse time, specially with the christmas trial lesson's. And I can't see how an airport can re open unless a very wealthy buyer stumps up the cash, and who will when planning permission for an airport terminal has been rejected.
My fond farewell to the airport ramp guys, many a morning sitting watching Tv in that windy hangar eating my bacon and egg bap from the cabin...

fluffy

CRAZYBROADSWORD
9th Dec 2009, 09:40
Yeah Elstree is open which means you can come and be abused my grumpy people in the tower lol

g-mady
9th Dec 2009, 15:54
carefull chaps or there will be a "touch - and go" free for all!!!
And next weeks tasking takes me through the "old" circuit pattern low level!

Fluffy, your not telling me you miss the old HC days now your days are spent in the sun!??!!

MADY

WylieCoyote
9th Dec 2009, 17:07
If the airport are closed and I would assume all the guys from ramp have gone then how are the Air Ambulance getting fuel? Have they moved to a different location?

Also sad to hear the airport I started flying from might be no more, lots of fond memories, I hope those who lost there jobs aren't out of work too long..best of luck guys and girls.

fluffy5
10th Dec 2009, 00:27
MADY Darling,
I could not possibly comment on HC, but as you, I and wiley know that they will survie, but a big kick in the nuts for the christmas season.
Heliair watch out wellsbourne, if you see a few extra R22's doing some quite training on your airfield.
HC should try down cranfield, Pat riot do near to none training out of there now. Also in the past they have done business with them for certain certificates. That would be a more reasonable choice.
Or maybe his lordship would look at buying HC, and moving the training to cranfield.
what last passing comment for Wiley, remember what used to keep us happy about thinking about a chemical toilet doing a 180 in the air, with a choppy sea........
Fluffy