PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox

Bustahymen
8th Dec 2009, 18:46
Can anyone tell me if there is a UK dealer/importer for the Kitfox kits please? I'm interested in the S7.

EDMJ
8th Dec 2009, 20:11
S7 - isn't that from Rans...?

Rod1
8th Dec 2009, 20:57
There is no Kitfox S7 or Rans S7 approved in the UK.

Rod1

Oldpilot55
8th Dec 2009, 21:14
I asked Kitfox what was the difference between a 5 and a 7 and they said not much. The 5 is approved by LAA. You could try talking to LAA engineering.
The 4 with 1200 lbs AUW is quite a competent aircraft and is approved and is still available.
I used to share a 3 with a 912 but I did fly a lighter 4 (early 4s did not have the 1200 lb AUW). The 4 handled more like a light aircraft than the 3.

A_Pommie
9th Dec 2009, 11:06
Rod

I think there is an S7 on AforS with a G reg so there is at least one approved.

Oldpilot55
9th Dec 2009, 11:32
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/GImages/G-CDXY001.jpg

I saw two on the g-info list.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Dec 2009, 13:51
A G registration doesn't mean it's approved, unless G-INFO also shows that it holds a Permit to Fly.

However, it does, so the Rans S7 is approved in the UK. In fact, G-info shows 7 Rans S7s, 5 holding current Permits to fly. Anybody got one I could have a go in? - looks like a fascinating aeroplane.

G

Rod1
9th Dec 2009, 15:31
My apologies I was looking in the TAD’s list, not the approved list!:ugh:

Rod1

gasax
9th Dec 2009, 18:28
There has been no UK dealer for Kitfox for some considerable time.

The series 5 and 7 are both approved in the UK, but both have been limited to 1400lbs mauw, not the 1550lbs which US aircraft are said to be good for.

This does somewhat reduce the payload - the 7 with a Rotax weighs in at about 750lbs usually so still pretty useful.

The handling is said to be considerably better than the 4 (let along the earlier ones...)

Monocock
9th Dec 2009, 18:59
AFAIK there is not strictly an importer for the Kitfox kits and most deals and correspondence are done direct through the McBeans in America. However, having recently purchased parts for my aircraft from them I can confirm they are an excellent and efficient outfit and provide superb support.

With regard your queries about the models, there have been several models come and go over time. As it stands, you can buy a new "Classic 4" or a "7" kit if you choose. Both come in conventional or tricycle configuration (why would you buy the latter?).

There are lots of different models available as used aircraft and the core of the UK fleet are Models 2, 3 and 4's. All with varying engine congurations but the majority with the Rotax 582. Some have the smaller Rotax 2 stroke and at least 7 have 912's installed. A few have Jabirus etc too.

The only Mk 5 in the UK has a radial attached up front until a recent accident rendered it quite badly damaged.

There is one 7 flying in the UK and we are now talking a whole new kettle of fish. The 7 is a faster and more refind aircraft and I always consider it in the realms of the Skycatcher type market.

There has been a lot of bad press about Kitfoxes in general over the years. I bought a Mk 4 back at the beginning of this year and I have to say I cannot praise it enough. If you want a simple and fun aircraft that is responsive and incredibly capable in and out of strips I would challenge anyone to beat it for what it can do. Ok, if you don't have any tailwheel time then perhaps it isn't the best first tailwheel machine to fly but it doesn't take a lot of mastering and it would take a lot to get me to part with mine now.

Like all types, the Kitfox has its devoted followers and its enemies too. Ignore the negativity when you say you want one. I heard it for months when I was in the process of buying and have yet to see why anyone can criticise it.

There is one absolute fount of Kitfox knowledge in the Midlands. I don't particularly want to give his name and details here as he is a friend and I don't think he would appreciate his details being posted on such a public forum. However, if you are serious about getting a Kitfox, he has all the info you could ever want to know about and he is a true gentleman. PM me if you want to have his details and I will send them to you.

pbrookes
10th Dec 2009, 14:19
I used to fly a mark II which was great fun, although endurance was limited by my two 20 ltr wing tanks and my 18ltr / hr 582 up front! Loved every minute of it, except when a particularly interesting groundloop reminded me that you don't stop flying until the wheels have stopped!

It was a very reluctant sale :{

Bustahymen
14th Dec 2009, 15:15
Hello Oldpilot55, which model is that (photo)? Looks nice.

Oldpilot55
14th Dec 2009, 17:42
Its a 7. Earlier models had the mock radial front end which I thought was particularly unattractive.
Kitfoxes are nice wee planes and suffered from too many accidents from untrained pilots, mainly 1s and 2s. My mate must have several hundred hours on our old 3 which he has replaced with a 4. Good cheap flying.