PDA

View Full Version : Job marcket in India or Middle east

agnni
8th Dec 2009, 16:51
Hi..

I have finished My Commercial Pilot Training from Career Pilot School,California.Just would like to know How job Market in India or middle east for pilots.My School offers a pretty good CFI Programme here so wondering can i instruct in india or Philippians after i get my CFII rating.Thanks

ab33t
8th Dec 2009, 20:20
That depends on your hours, challenge at the moment is that there are loads of high hour guys out there that will be placed first

agnni
8th Dec 2009, 21:52
I believe that the best way to build hours is to be a CFI. But in USA as an international Student May not be so many opportunities to work as a CFI who just got CFI rating at 260 hours of total flight time.My School offers a pretty good ATP programe too ...hmmm thinking..!!:rolleyes:

INNflight
8th Dec 2009, 22:18
Are you a US citizen / native English speaker? :ouch:

agnni
9th Dec 2009, 00:23
nope... i am not:(

agnni
14th Dec 2009, 04:45
no suggestions:confused:????

Luke SkyToddler
14th Dec 2009, 11:12
You're asking that stuff NOW? Did you have a plan before you spent all the money?

Middle east = no entry level jobs, philippines and india = jobs for locals only. Better you stay in USA if you can.

michael95u
14th Dec 2009, 14:56
Luke Sky Toddler (great name!), Agnni probably had the same plan everyone else did 1-2 years ago when things were great and people were being hired world-wide at the 250-500 hours range.

Aceninja
15th Dec 2009, 13:06
Hi Agnni,

I am not aware of all the details of your situation, but just out of curiosity, why do you wish to instruct in India? I am guessing you are of Indian descent/national by your nick, but have you considered instructing/timebuilding in the USA first before moving to India?

-Dilip

agnni
15th Dec 2009, 17:01
@ Aceninja

By law i am unable to Work in USA without proper work visa.I hold an M1 visa now.Doing ATP is ok..It is a long way from 260 hours to 1500 hours.anyway i am considering that one too.My schools ATPL program is pretty interesting one.Is anybody here done ATPL and have any suggetions..comments..,very welcome..

Aceninja
15th Dec 2009, 18:20
Since you cannot work on your current visa, how exactly would your school allow you to get your ATP/1500hours? Does that mean you have to pay for all of them? Or could you instruct, but not get paid? Just curious.

amostcivilpilot
16th Dec 2009, 08:00
Hello agnni

First off, good luck in your career.

Second. In the present climate in the middle east and internationally as has been mentioned, there are virtually no entry level jobs. You may get lucky and find a job as an instructor but I would expect that the minimum for this would be around 1000 hours before your application might be considered and if there are any schools in the region recruiting.

For the major airlines expect a requirement of around 3500 hours with a heavy jet background and for the smaller operators you would be looking at around 1500 - 2000 hours with at least medium to heavy turbine experience. There are companies such as TNT in bahrain, Falcon Express Cargo in Dubai who might look at someone as a co-pilot with less but it would be a case of right place and right time.

On the helicopter side of the industry, 1500 - 2000 hours will be an average minimum for a co-pilot, with previous multi engine turbine experience, offshore and multi crew experience preferable. I have know some young low time pilots who have managed to be in the right place with around a 1000 hours and no multi or turbine time when a co-pilot was needed at short notice and have been given a break. They are among god's chosen few!

Where I operate we wouldn't look at anyone with less than 3500 hours which would have to include both single pilot and multi crew IFR experience, with ideally offshore, VIP and extensive airwork verifiable experience in your log book.

I know this sounds harsh and an almost unachievable goal when you are in the first phase of your career but this is the way it is. We all start with zero time, but it is a fact that it takes a long time to achieve sufficient experience both in developing your piloting skillls and building actual hours to become attractive to potential employers and to achieve this level of experience will mean many years of work.

There are also issues of insurance requirements both on the operators and client side which need to be observed which has an effect on the recruitment on low time pilots.

Instucting to gain experience: For those who look upon instructing as a means of hour and experience building, be aware that being a flying instructor is about more than your need to build hours. A flying instructor has an obligation to his or her students to mentor their development and invest in them the time and skills to achieve their goal of sucessfully becoming the holder of a pilots licence.

Anyone who instructs only to build time will find that both they and their student will suffer. There is nothing worse than an instructor who does not want to instruct and nothing worse for the student who has to suffer potentially poor instuction.

The reality of course is that most low time pilots will go down the instructor route to gain the hours they need.

There are many ways to the coveted left seat (or right in helicopters) but they all take time. Good luck again for the future.

AMCP

michael95u
16th Dec 2009, 13:18
amostcivilpilot-

Great post. I especially like your take on instructing. I can't stress enough to CFI's out there looking for jobs that instructing is NOT time building. Great answer.

Michael

Aceninja
17th Dec 2009, 21:44
amostcivilpilot-

A great informative post about the situation at hand. Saldy building hours when you first start out seems to be a gargantuan task. I am in the same boat as agnni as well. And I also agree that instructing is more than 'just an easy way' to get hours. It should be about the training and mentoring of the individual(s) you are responsible for, and it involves spending a lot more time with them than just 'engine start to engine stop'. Although I am just a student at the moment, I think instructing is a great way to build your confidence and skills as a pilot as well. If you know the subject well enough to teach it to others, no matter the subject, then it will help you become better at it, no? But rushing into it just to get hours and seeing your students as nothing more than $$, is another matter entirely...but a sad truth of the industry as well.

world instrucor
17th Dec 2009, 22:03
Look at the date you must leave on your current visa, as a student there is one place by law your allowed to work and that is at the school your enrolled in and only there, after that you could apply for a practical training visa, I did that and got my Atp here in USa and did it all legally, the immigration department knows nothing, practical training is for one year only and only what you graduated in, i hope it is 141 for your sake

CLAUDE-CPS
17th Dec 2009, 22:53
World Instructor, I was thinking that the practical training was limited in time at 1/7 of the time spend on training at the school ? in an other words you can work 1 month in your school so far that you have trained 7 months.
Is that correct ?