PDA

View Full Version : Flight instructing and airline flying

cortilla
8th Dec 2009, 16:19
Hi all,

Just uhmming and ahhing about the possibility of flight instructing. I'm currently flying commercially and wondering what the legal flight time limitations are.

Not anywhere close to the 900 hours a year so that shouldn't be an issue and obviously i'd ask my airline's permission first, but these are just initial thoughts.

What are the rest implications? Say i have an early morning flight and another early morning report the next day. Oficially i need atleast 12 hours rest between duties. Can i do some flight instructing within the 12 hour period (say finishing at 6pm when my next airline report is at 5am?)

Are there any other legal limitations or implications?

Cheers for any help and info.

DB6
9th Dec 2009, 14:48
Your DFO/rostering department will put you straight on all that. Another thing to consider is whether you will actually be needed. Remember there are quite a few redundant instructors at the moment, and those that are working need all the hours/flight pay they can get - you may not be welcomed with open arms.

theflyingbus
9th Dec 2009, 14:48
I currently fly commecially and instruct in the UK. There is a section somewhere (possibly good old LASORS or even ANO) that describes the type of flying that you can and cant do, with reference to FTL's. It depends on weight and whether or not you are getting paid for the "aerial work".

If included, which I see it that PPL instructing upwards is, then all hours have to be recorded and the usual FTL limits must be observed. Even rest days/days off etc. Its a bit crazy that a 30 minute trial lesson, voids a day off in the eyes of FTL's! i report my "other flying" to my airline each month.

Thats my view anyway and what I stick to, then if it is less strict, I am only better off.

Should anyone think different, I would be interested to know, I currently have to turn away work.

cortilla
10th Dec 2009, 18:36
yes its JAA (or is it EASA these days) and i wouldnt be looking to do anywhere close to 100hrs a month. Like i said its just a thought and i was just looking at the implications as related to my full time job at the moment.

So as I understand it, to be paid then all the rules that apply to me as an airline pilot would apply to me as an instructor if i were to do it. Seems odd that on my days off instructing would impinge on what i could fly the next day. Yet it would be perfectly legal for me to be a driving instructor. Seems crazy. I'll have a look at LASORS and see what i can find

Dan Winterland
11th Dec 2009, 02:02
Different companys have different rules. My previous company were OK with it, but as instructing is aerial work it is included in the company's FTL scheme. We had to let the ops department know at the end of each day of instructing what we had done so that they could adjust their records. And when I was getting close to 900 hours, the answer changed to "no", I couldn't instruct.

My current company has a limit of 1600kg (not a JAR operator) above which it is included, unless it is aerial work when it's included at any weight. We have to get permission to do any sort of non recreational flying and the answer is invariably no.