PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Cleaning Products

Ixixly
8th Dec 2009, 08:58
Ok, so I'm wanting to clean up a couple of single engine cessnas tomorrow and was wondering what sort of products people could recommend for the exterior? Obviously something that isn't going to mess up the paint but is tough enough to get rid of all those damned bugs! (They don't call'em bug smashers for nothing!)

Was wondering what sorts of products that are easily available from your local Repco, Mitre 10 etc... would do the trick well?

alphacentauri
8th Dec 2009, 09:04
Mr Sheen (will leave a nice polish surface) or Spray n Wipe (not quite as good, but will do the trick)....well that's what we use anyway. :ok:

For windows....PLEXUS!

conflict alert
8th Dec 2009, 09:06
hot soapy water....very cheap. However, I also do use a citric product, I will provide a name tomorrow (need to go to the garage to find the exact product name but far too late to do it now!)

onthedials
8th Dec 2009, 09:20
Turtle Wax - Wash n Wax white plastic bottle. Use this to remove ALL the dirt and grime, then polish with a first class auto wax product such as Cherry Max.

Not CASA approved, so work that part out for yourself.

Life could be much easier.. but I understand that the brain-dead-idiot-stupid Australian product safety labelling regulations mean that premium aviation-specific products cannot be sold here because the small market does not make the cost of consumer re-labelling and related compliance worth their while... I understand that at least one internationally recognised supplier decided we are just too hard to deal with.

Oh well. Situation normal.

Say after me: "i'm from the Government and I'm here to help you."

OTD.

djpil
8th Dec 2009, 09:29
My LAME recently suggested Plexus on the airframe too (we were talking about fabric aeroplanes).
Just got back from a long cold walk to the garage. Empty can of Mr Sheen in my kit. Plus a can of Plexus. Been using Mothers Reflections wax for a few years.
Just got some Shell Flight Jacket Oil & Exhaust Remover and Touch & Go. Both work well. The Touch & Go is good for bugs. Wish I could buy more but apparently these products are no longer stocked in Australia.
I use the soapy water thing often too.

kingRB
8th Dec 2009, 09:36
For getting rid of weeks old baked on bugs, Shell Dobatex. That stuff is brilliant.

When washing planes, i'd put it on all leading edges via a spray unit hooked up to a compressor, about a 1:3 ratio mix with water. Then leave for 5 to 10 mins. They will literally wipe off first go with a sponge after that :ok:

And canopies / windows, you cant go past Vuplex!

glekichi
8th Dec 2009, 09:43
This stuff had some serious kick.

Sonic (http://www.tergo.co.nz/Tech%20Data/PDF/sonictdsP.PDF)

SM227
8th Dec 2009, 09:46
Get a 2L bottle of kero and a couple rags for the belly, normal car wash+wax and a broom for the rest. Mr sheen is great for the windows!(oh and a quick circuit to dry off and your done :E )

Ixixly
8th Dec 2009, 10:08
Well, I reckons i'll go with the hot soapy water to get as many bugs off as I can and some of the grease/oil and then go for the Mr Sheen to finish her up, sounds like a plan to me :D

Might even give the kero a go on the belly...caked with oil, not much fun!

Will give it a go and let ya know how it goes!

(This thing is a basket case, i doubt anyone would remember the last time it got bloody cleaned!!)

MyNameIsIs
8th Dec 2009, 10:32
I think "Farecla" with one of those funny little Frenchie-looking apostrophie thingos above the 'e' is the name of a good polishing compound.

Plexus for the perspex, definately.

Don't use silicone-based products, heard they can play havoc with things like the ADF.

Ixixly
8th Dec 2009, 10:35
Really? silicon based? Dang...anyone else able to sustantiate that? Not that the ADF even works anymore, but would be good to find any others that are going to cause hassles specifically!

185skywagon
8th Dec 2009, 10:45
Turco alkaline aircraft wash.
Sold by Avanti chemicals, I think.

Ixixly
8th Dec 2009, 11:01
Avanti Chemicals seems like the way to go! Specially as i'm in Brisbane. Do they deal with people on an individual basis or are they more of a commercial supplier?

PyroTek
8th Dec 2009, 11:16
We tend to use Mr. Sheen on the windscreens.
I tend to put avgas on my hands to clean off oil, will probably do the same to around the 'oily bits'. Not like it's difficult to get from an SE Piston engine aircraft :}

Pyro

Ixixly
8th Dec 2009, 11:18
Heh, yeah its a fair idea Pyro, used to use a bit of avgas to clean up wheels and such when they were getting turned, but this particular boss might not like the idea of his avgas being 'wasted' on cleaning the aircraft, :D

PyroTek
8th Dec 2009, 11:27
Ixixixixixix etc.:
I reckon you use about as much avgas as you do on a normal fuel drain :}

Check PM's!

:ok:Pyro

snoop doggy dog
8th Dec 2009, 11:44
20L drum of Truck Wash and Wax :ok:

Will last you a few washes as well :)

toolowtoofast
8th Dec 2009, 18:24
Hot soapy water for bugs. Pegasol (white spirits) for oily tracking underneath followed by hot soapy water, then plenty of clean cold water to rinse. Dry off then Rejex.

witwiw
8th Dec 2009, 20:17
Have to agree with MyNameIsIs's comments. Following is an extract from the Flight Safety Magazine and although a bit dated is nonetheless still relevant.

Plexus for the perspex is my choice.

Flight Safety magazine Nov-Dec 2001 - P 40-41 (http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2001/nov/40-41.pdf)

In Australia 20 years ago an aircraft operator
decided to maintain the finish on his new aircraft
using “Kitten No1 silicone car polish”.After several
months the automatic direction finder became
unusable. Investigations into the defect consumed
many man hours and many more dollars. The
defect was eventually isolated to precipitation
static, and attributed to the use of the siliconebased
car polish.The aircraft required a complete
paint strip and a base coat of very colloidal
graphite prior to the re-paint. This was the repaint
process for the rest of the aircraft’s life.

flywatcher
8th Dec 2009, 20:25
Be careful using truck wash products, when it gets under the lap joints the chemicals in it can cause corrosion, probably more so in coastal areas. Don't ask me how I know this.

Joker 10
8th Dec 2009, 23:07
Handy Andy from your local supermarket, it is dynamite on exhaust stains and kind to paint.

SM227
8th Dec 2009, 23:16
Is there any cleaner/substance that will remove mold from the paint work? It wont even think of comming off even with lots and lots of kero and wash+wax. Result of 10yrs out on the ramp with no TLC :( Would love to get it off!

VH-XXX
9th Dec 2009, 01:07
Eucalyptus oil can get some grease and crap off ther other cleaners can't.

Ajax professional mould remover would be my choice for once-off mould removal (not for prolonged use). I've discovered this one works far better at home than the others, try it in your shower and you'll see what I mean, leave it on for 5-10 mins before rinsing off.

Aerohooligan
9th Dec 2009, 02:11
Mate use Truck Wash Gold. I forget who makes it but it's super-effective at getting rid of the assorted insects and general detritus that makes your plane look like a museum relic. You just hose her down, scrub the stuff on with a broom and make sure you rinse, otherwise she'll be covered in blue streaks, which I can assure you don't look great on white paint.

You can use it on the perspex but you're better off using water and some mister sheen for those bits.

Maybe if you clean enough of em they'll even let you fly one! :E

Ixixly
9th Dec 2009, 07:34
Huh, Thats funny Aerohooligan, the last 182 you cleaned is covered in twigs and branchs isn't it? :E

Aerohooligan
9th Dec 2009, 08:19
Yeah mate, but I wasn't the one flying it, was I? I never actually got to clean that thing anyway. It was so brand-spanking new I felt unclean even standing next to it, let alone touching it. I was terrified truck wash would just strip off all the beautiful shiny new paint.

By the way, thanks for just revealing my identity to all the folk up here in Darwin. Thankfully, this thread is so fcuking boring I doubt any of them will read it. :E

rioncentu
9th Dec 2009, 08:51
I too used to use truckwash but have been told it can cause the reaction between lap joints. I would NOT recommend it.

Ixixly
9th Dec 2009, 11:51
pfft, theres enough aircraft up there filled with twigs and branches Aero!!

mpl_yz250
10th Dec 2009, 03:23
Back to the thread. Try Simple Green Aircraft Cleaner. Absolute gold, and approved by Boeing (or it says so on the label at least). Available in 750ml spray and 4 ltr. Great stuff, although may be a bit harder to find. We get ours from an industrial company called Blackwoods.

cheers mpl_yz250

Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner (http://gsa.simplegreen.com/gsa_products_extreme.php)

hurlingham
16th Dec 2009, 22:59
I have used NU FINISH for many years - fantastic stuff