PDA

View Full Version : ATPL GS - Question about revision Technique

Captain-Random
7th Dec 2009, 13:08
I am currently studying for the ATPL's and i was just wondering what people thought of this...

I have talked to someone who said all they did was look through the question bank constantly and that got them through the exams because most of the questions that popped up were in the QB.

Now i'm going through the material in the books and looking at the QB a month or two before the exams.

Now i don't think, what the guy i was talking to, has done is a good idea becasue when it comes to replicating the knowledge in a real life situation remebering A B D A B D C B A is not going to help you.

My question is; Has anyone ever done this, because they felt the ATPL exams are just an inconvenience that just need to be passed?

Have any pilots come across other pilots that have limited knowledge and seem to have never picked up an ATPL book in there life but obviously passed them?

Do people agree passing them that way is a bad idea?

C-R

Nav420
7th Dec 2009, 18:03
its a bad idea because when it comes to your airline interview and they ask you the technical questions and you cant answer them because all you did was remember A B C D or whatever then your not really going to have much success in getting through the interview.
Hope that helps

ricky81 sti
7th Dec 2009, 18:48
I agree with Nav420, it's a great revision aid before the exams but in my opinion u still have to learn the material. If aviation is your thing then the material should interesting and not just an inconvience in gettting to a licence. Get your head in the books buddy:ok:

ab33t
7th Dec 2009, 18:51
Guys you are missing the point here , the QB is to see if you understand the content and use as a revision tool , I hate to think that people memorise the A B C or whatever , understanding the correct answer and why its correct is the QB purpose

Captain-Random
7th Dec 2009, 18:59
Exactly what i thought but the guy i talked to just wanted to get them over with ASAP whatever the cost. Which i agree is a bad idea. But i guess some people just want the easy way out.

I don't want to go through this career needing 4 choices for every question i'm asked ha:}

Halfbaked_Boy
7th Dec 2009, 22:19
During studying/revising for the ATPL exams, I made it my sole mission to learn absolutely everything in all the manuals, then on top of that learn and understand the answers to every single question on Bristol...

... of course that's impossible! But I found the mentality a great help to maximising my knowledge at this early stage, and of course, passing the exams.

I didn't treat Bristol as a way of memorising letters, but as an insight to the types of question I was likely to be asked, and in fact, I found it an excellent consolidation to the manuals (Oxford). And in some cases, I only fully understood a particular topic once I'd finished Bristolling it, and going back and forth between there and the manuals following the main bulk of studying itself.

So come on Biggles, you only gotta do them once, make it count hey?!

:ok:

Delta Uniform
8th Dec 2009, 19:10
it depends what the exam is. For Law, Op Procs, Human Perf' etc then you just need to learn the facts/answers so the question bank method may work. But for Aircraft General, Principles of Flight etc then the best approach is to try and understand the notes. In fact it's probably quicker and less to cram by learning the basics than learn ALL the answers. Actually I don't think learning the answers for those type of exams is a short cut...learning the basics is far quicker IMO. But definitely use the question bank as a pre exam tool.

Happy Wanderer
8th Dec 2009, 20:20
When I attended one of the two BGS brush-ups a couple of years ago, I learned of someone who passed (or at least claimed to have passed) his ATPL theories by sole reference to the QB. Whilst I'm sure it's possible, it's a flawed strategy. New exam questions are being introduced all the time, and these can and do inevitably take time to work their way into the QB. As a student, I did every single question in the QB (and was responsible for stripping out a lot of the duplicate questions in the process), yet I remembered several new questions come exam week. It never ceases to amaze me that this point is lost on many students; recently I asked one of the students at the school where I now instruct how he'd got on with the exams (resits) he'd just taken, only to be told that that "they were difficult, because he hadn't seen them before". Classic.

HW