PDA

View Full Version : Will applying to QLink affect hold with Mainline?

pause
7th Dec 2009, 05:53
Aside from the obvious impact of actually getting a job with QLink, does anyone know whether applying to QLink has any impact on an active hold (LOI) with mainline?

Hugh Jarse
7th Dec 2009, 07:55
If you're employed as an FO - no worries. Qantas takes a token amount of Qlink FO's each year.

If you're a Qantaslink captain - you have no chance of moving on, because Qantaslink can't afford to lose their experience base. Your career progression is Virgin Blue, Dragonair and Emirates.

rmcdonal
8th Dec 2009, 01:07
QLink and mainline operate as separate entities. If you hold an LOI for mainline (like some of the current FOs and Captains in Qlink) you don't loose it.
However I imagine if you walk into the QLink interview waving your LOI to mainline in their faces then they may not consider you worth their time and money in training.
Also there are issues in moving around the QGroup due to current industrial laws.

pause
8th Dec 2009, 01:32
However I imagine if you walk into the QLink interview waving your LOI to mainline in their faces...

Well that's not really the plan, but given their application requests/requires disclosure of participation in Qantas Group recruitment, they will be aware of it.

My concern is sitting around and waiting for the ever-deferred recommencement of recruiting.

Mr. Hat
8th Dec 2009, 03:30
My concern is sitting around and waiting for the ever-deferred recommencement of recruiting.

Do not sit around and wait for anything or anyone pause. Take what you can get right now.

All you have from QF is a letter not an actual job. Until you are in the seat you've actually got nothing. In between sending tht letter and recruiting again the people in recruitment might have moved on or had a complete change of plans. Do not base your life on idle promises.

Bo777
8th Dec 2009, 05:22
Will applying to QLink affect hold with Mainline?
3 words ... Transfer of Business:(
... Oops it no longer applies:D

Rhodes13
8th Dec 2009, 07:43
I would have thought that seeing as the hold pool was closed earlier this year that the LOI holders have got nothing now. I seem to recall an email from a manager saying we had to go through the whole process again when recruitment started up.

I would have thought that this meant all LOI's were null and void?

Dragun
8th Dec 2009, 09:59
Rhodes, they're almost null and void. We still apparently get first dibs at testing when the time comes again. Lucky us. :ugh:

Hugh, to say there's no chance is a little bit stiff I would say. I guess we'll see when recruitment starts again and all the FO's who are now captains get their shot again...

Rhodes13
8th Dec 2009, 10:07
LOL very true Dragun, and as a bonus we get to be tested under the new system!

I do wonder though when or if mainline recruitment will start again :confused:

pause
7th Jan 2010, 00:35
Does anybody know if the current online SHL aptitude testing for Qlink is the same as what is going to be used for direct entry SO with mainline?

Is so, would successfully completing the aptitude testing for Qlink, mean you would not have to compelte it again for mainline in a few months time?

The Hill
7th Jan 2010, 00:52
I doubt it, mainline are reviewing their recruitment process, or at least that is what the web site says........................

To ensure best practice, Qantas Pilot Recruitment continuously reviews its recruitment process in light of feedback from the industry as well as internal and external governance requirements.

We’ve recently introduced a number of significant changes to the Cadet Recruitment process, which will also be launched for future Direct Entry recruitment. Check the website regularly for information about the new Direct Entry recruitment process that we will transition to once Trainee Second Officer recruitment recommences.

shmeagle
7th Jan 2010, 20:43
A mate of mine in Qantas has told me mainline don't use SHL now, they use Onetest instead. But I haven't seen any evidence to support that yet! :confused: