PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question re Class 1 renewal

The_Pharoah
7th Dec 2009, 03:25
Hi guys

yes I know this is a really dumb question but I'll ask it anyway - will having a few beers the day before a class 1 medical renewal have a negative impact?

Jazzy78910
7th Dec 2009, 03:55
I guess it really depends on which renewal you are undergoing and how alcohol affects you.

I completed my Class one renewal last week, which was:
- urine sample
- blood pressure
- spirometery test
- height and weight check
- prods and pokes around my belly and spine
- general CASA form questions

I couldn't imagine that a few beers would change the outcomes of many / any of these tests, but I'm no Doctor. Maybe consider flushing your system with some good drinks of water the night before and morning before the appointment?

The_Pharoah
7th Dec 2009, 04:14
don't worry....rescheduled it anyway. Best not to stuff around.

VH-XXX
7th Dec 2009, 04:30
Short answer no.

Long answer no.

You have said the "day" before which implies you weren't drinking the "night" before so there would be no alcohol in your blood by the time you are tested, however I don't think that there's any regulation that says you can't have alcohol in your blood for a medical anyway, unless of course perhaps you are ducking out from work for your tests.

If there was alcohol in your system the doctor would probably just ask when you had your last beer and make his own judgement on whether you are an alco.

"I'm not an alcoholic. Alcoholic's go to meetings." :)

Angle of Attack
7th Dec 2009, 04:43
I did know a bloke several years ago that had a big night prior to his medical. The doctor with his pokes and prods, found he had a hardened liver, and needed to go through an array of further tests and dollars to satisfy CASA. He said the liver can harden slightly after a big night out. I am not sure but maybe a point to consider.

Atlas Shrugged
7th Dec 2009, 04:55
Alcohol is the answer......just can't remember the question.....hic :yuk:

linedriva
7th Dec 2009, 06:14
Many, many years ago when I was young and stupid, I did my medical renewal with an almighty hangover following an accidental big night out. Passed with no problems - I wouldn't recommend it though:=

Capt Fathom
7th Dec 2009, 09:52
I don't know what all the fuss is about?

It's only a career! You can get one anywhere! :E

sms777
8th Dec 2009, 05:39
Come and see Dr Death at Bankstown....as long as you have a little blood in your alcohol he will pass you. :}

Metro man
8th Dec 2009, 07:10
Best drink plenty of water before your medical. I once made the mistake of having one early in the morning, having had only a cup of coffee and a fruit juice before hand.

Urine test showed traces of Ketones, due to dehydration. Further tests required before I got the all clear.

Next medical will be late afternoon after having drunk copious amounts of water during the day.