PDA

View Full Version : Air Clues is online.

PPRuNe Pop
6th Dec 2009, 10:50
If opinion supports - Air Clues can added to a new thread by each edition - we can sticky it so that you have an online access. IF.......it does NOT infringe copyright or similar.

Can someone verify that?

reallydeskbound
6th Dec 2009, 11:57
Excellent, good to see - would be marvellous of all the old copies were placed on-line, it would provide us all with great history, and the chance for younger members to learn old lessons the easy way....

Tiger_mate
6th Dec 2009, 12:22
I cannot see how a link to a publication that the 'system' wants us to read when all you are doing is pointing a finger can possibly breach copyright. FWIW I think that a sticky is one of the best ideas I have ever seen cast amongst these pages. Suggest that the page is controlled and locked though and that any subsequent discussion about a specific article gets its own page.

Jackonicko
6th Dec 2009, 13:34
Posting a link CANNOT breach copyright.

Nor would posting a brief synopsis. Copyright exists in "form of words".

JFZ90
6th Dec 2009, 14:49
The 2xF15C / Scotland / ATC crash is mentioned.

8 years on and F15C still appears to have no GPWS system, and no plans to fit one - and it'll be in service alongside F22 past 2025.

Are the Safety Risks here ALARP? It doesn't feel like it.

It maybe just the way its worded, but it also can be read to suggest an F15C doesn't have a Rad Alt - this can't be true can it?

Green Flash
6th Dec 2009, 15:32
PP, whilst being no expert, it strikes me that you would be providing a link to something allready freely avbl (ie no subscription, login, restricted system access ie intranet, etc etc) in the public domain. And if someone could scan in all the old back copies we would have one of the best online military Flight Safety resources known to man or aircrew:} - and also a bloody good read! Establish the link, get it nice and sticky, and you'll have bazillions of very happy Ppruners!:ok: (Is there a civvy online equivalent?)

Thud_and_Blunder
6th Dec 2009, 16:14
Ta for the link, thought I'd give it a read and very nearly bogged myself down in the drone-drone acronymathon that launched the new edition. Then I hit the Belize/'joker' article and was hooked - exactly what people should be writing/reading to keep FS alive and kicking.

As with JFZ90, couldn't believe that the F15C world isn't using basic ground-warning kit (that isn't true, really - is it?!)... brought back grim memories of the way the ATC world felt gravely let down so soon after the Chinook world took a hit on the Mull. Good to see it being talked about in an official publication.

Smiled a little to see the man from Valley thinking things there are busier now than ever - although I'd have appreciated a little more than the Highland schedule figuring in his listing of civvy airspace users (there's an Air Ambo not a million miles from EGOV, and I'm pretty sure the police heli isn't a stranger to those parts either. So TCAS finally makes it to Valley, eh? - way to go fellas(!)

Yup, I shall look forward to future editions - thanks.

(Always thought an Aircrew Performance Coach was the Morris minibus that used to take people to the feeder on the bigger stations)

MightyGem
6th Dec 2009, 16:27
Nice to see it's available on the non-military internet. :ok:

Cows getting bigger
6th Dec 2009, 16:29
Bleedin' excellent. Not only do we have a sensible FS magazine back, someone has had the sense to encourage the widest possible access.

green granite
6th Dec 2009, 17:16
Very good, now we have 2 flight safety mags on line, 'Approach Magazine' being t'other one.

PPRuNe Pop
6th Dec 2009, 22:43
OK! We have to protect the owners of course, so it is important that we act properly.

I have stuck the original post but you will still be able to read the original and subsequent links - you will not be able to post on it though. You can do that on the existing thread. If someone would would let me know of a new edition link I will add it to that thread.

What it means is that some good soul will help this poor soul. :ok:

The link to the sticky is here: http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/398078-air-clues-edition-link.html

PPP

Mick Strigg
7th Dec 2009, 08:28
To quote the Gp Capt (who has now left and had his post gapped - so much for the importance of FS!) on page 8:

Will Air Clues be written by your team at RAF Flight Safety?
No, quite the contrary. It is your professional knowledge, experiences, views and recommendations.........

If that is the case, why haven't they given contact details anywhere in the magazine so that one may contribute?

Gainesy
7th Dec 2009, 09:19
Probably hiding from that "Air Power" pratt who killed it last time.

Heimdall
7th Dec 2009, 12:27
Like everyone else, I am delighted to see the return of Air Clues, hopefully this time common sense will prevail and it will continue, rather than be the subject of some nebulous cost-cutting measure. Perhaps if money for printing becomes an issue in future it could revert to being on online magazine only - keeping it available is the key.

On the subject of past copies of Air Clues, earlier this year I paid a visit to the Air Historic Branch (AHB) at RAF Northolt where they are held. All the old copies of Air Clues are in bound volumes, which doesn't make photocopying old articles particularly easy, but the staff there are very helpful if you need to have a rummage through the old editions as part of some research.

Given the number of old copies held by the AHB, it would be a considerable undertaking for them to be scanned and then uploaded to the Web, particularly when establishments have been cut to the marrow and there's no money at all. Nevertheless, if it were completed the result would be an extremely valuable on-line resourse. Perhaps holding officers should be sent there to get things going.

E-Spy
7th Dec 2009, 14:11
Many thanks for the link Pprunepop. Being outside the normal loop, its good to see some 'real world' stuff.
Spy :ok:

Wg Cdr Spry
8th Dec 2009, 07:51
I am not sure where Mr Strigg gets his information, but on this occasion it is incorrect. The new Gp Capt Flight Safety arrived at Air Cmd on 23 Nov, completed a one-week handover with his predecessor, and took over the role on 30 Nov without any gap.

With regard to RAF FS contact details, these have been widely distributed throughout the RAF. Should anybody not be aware of the details then we would like to know, so that we can ‘advertise’ further at those locations. SFSOs can certainly let you know our contact details. For those without direct access to SFSOs, [email protected] ([email protected]) is another option.

Spry

Gainesy
8th Dec 2009, 11:10
Hello Spry, do you welcome input from ex-RAF/RN/AAC/RM?

If so, I have this 84,000-word thesis on Cold War RAF Wooly Pullys, Round or V-neck?:suspect::)

BEagle
8th Dec 2009, 12:03
Oh come on, Gainesy - you know how you used to enjoy reading those Letter From the Front articles and the 'air pahhrr' ones about how the ancient Babylonian use of defensive counter air was such a spiffing wheeze....

Yes, he was indeed an utter pratt!

Now, perhaps your wooly-pully thesis should be combined with an aircrew forage cap / baseball cap / beret (I understand some aircrew untermensch actually like to dress themselves as onion sellers or Frank Spencer these days?) dissertation?

Perhaps there'll be some I Learned About Double-Entry Book-Keeping From That articles for the penguins?

Seriously though, it's good to know that Spry Is Back!! His crisp and dry prose will surely make a welcome change to the biz-speak wanque-words which started to permeate the RAF just as I pulled the B&Y.

dctyke
8th Dec 2009, 12:28
Hello Spry, do you welcome input from ex-RAF/RN/AAC/RM?

If so, I have this 84,000-word thesis on Cold War RAF Wooly Pullys, Round or V-neck?

Would that be with or without tie?

Blacksheep
8th Dec 2009, 13:42
We never had wooly pullys in't Cold War. We had to buy our own... :(

...and we had pre-owned trog boots and sea boot socks. :yuk:

MightyGem
9th Dec 2009, 10:13
Would that be with or without tie?
...and the pros and cons of wearing, or not wearing, a flying brevet on said pully.

India69
9th Dec 2009, 18:23
what ever happened to RESTRICTED ?

O K OK I'LL GET MY COAT