PDA

View Full Version : VS or BA to Las Vegas

NWSRG
5th Dec 2009, 15:52
Folks,

Planning a trip in Feb to the strip. Options are VS from LGW or BA from LHR...

I'm familiar with VS Economy, but have never flown BA World Traveller...any comments on which is better? Also, will we definitely have seat back IFE on BA? I know all the LGW VS 744s do have, but not sure about the LHR BA 777s...

Tempted to try BA and T5 for a change...

davidjohnson6
5th Dec 2009, 16:09
Assuming you're flying in the cheap seats, have you considered the possibility that one airline may offer cheaper seats than the other, allowing you to spend more money while you're actually in Vegas ? Both are highly competent well run airlines and assuming nothing untoward happens, both should give you good value for your money

One of the main airline rating websites which will give you a substantial amount of information is
Airline Star Ranking Quick Search Index (http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/quick_search.htm)

Summer breeze
5th Dec 2009, 16:43
Assuming you are flying to Vegas for fun............Virgin every time.

If, however, you are on business then BA will put your mind straight.

Horses for courses and all that

22/04
5th Dec 2009, 16:50
Well cards on the table - VS Au card but have flown both inthe last year

VS PE is superior to WT+. Comparing VS economy to BA WT+ is not like for like.

On LAS you will probably be flying a 747 with the older Odyssy/Nova entertaniement system which isn't on demand.

But of you lucky your VS crew will make up with that with their informal get to know you approach - never had a BA crew be so friendly.

I'd go with VS!

strake
5th Dec 2009, 16:51
Ignoring any cost difference, they're both fine and will do a good job.
However, if you're going with the mentality of "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"...possibly, the Virgin brand is more appropriate.
You never know, the crew just might be like the ones in this advert....
:ok:
YouTube - Virgin Atlantic: 25 Years, Still Red Hot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS_6HHQ7jOA)

Enjoy.

raffele
5th Dec 2009, 20:51
VS PE is superior to WT+. Comparing VS economy to BA WT+ is not like for like.

Who's comparing VS Economy to BA World Traveller Plus? The question was VS Economy to BA Economy (World Traveller):

I'm familiar with VS Economy, but have never flown BA World Traveller...any comments on which is better?

BA's 777's all have personal IFE. The GE-powered 777's don't have on demand, just the multichannel looped programming.

World Traveller is perfectly fine. You get fed, the entertainment is usually pretty good and T5 tends to be alright. As strake says, they're both fine and will do a good job.

I suppose it all boils down to the cost at the end of the day.

Jarvy
6th Dec 2009, 13:11
Both are just fine for the job. Prices you will find to be much the same as each other.

James 1077
11th Dec 2009, 01:02
I would go Virgin - as they have a better, more informal, service.

Also you can avoid Heathrow which is a major bonus in my mind (and one worth paying a little extra for if needed!).

Final 3 Greens
11th Dec 2009, 04:33
Have you considered KLM?

If you are starting from Aldergrove, the total journey time may not be so much longer (compared to a non stop from LON connecting via AMS adds at least 6 hours.)

However, Amadeus is currently showing prices of around £380 and if you were able to add 'extra comfort' (more legroom and recline) for another 300€ (and I will admit to being sketchy on the fare rules), you could have the equivalent of WT+/Premium Y on the AMS/LAS/AMS segments for an extra £160 or so and that would be a pretty good way to travel on leisure.

Whichever carrier you chose, I hope you have a super trip.

Nipper1011
11th Dec 2009, 07:37
I echo F 3 G
Mrs N and I travelled UK regions - AMS-DTW-LAS and back in November for less than GBP400 each. All worked as advertised, on demand seat back IFE on the NWA (Now a part of Delta) A330s and the food (to my surprise) was way better than that which BA offer down the back these days. (W/T+ gets the same food as W/T, just more seat space).

apaddyinuk
11th Dec 2009, 08:24
If you go BA you will be on a 3 class 777 (one without First) so you will be assured On Demand IFE as all the LHR 3class aircraft have now been updated with AVOD.

fly12345
11th Dec 2009, 08:33
If you go BA you will be on a 3 class 777 (one without First) so you will be assured On Demand IFE as all the LHR 3class aircraft have now been updated with AVOD.

Unfortunately not all 3 class 777s have or will be updated with avod.

Jarvy
11th Dec 2009, 12:40
The original question was between BA and VS, we can all find cheaper routes but that wasn't the original question.
F3G will always be anti BA.
I flew with NW a few years ago, we saw the cc at the start of the flight and at the end, that was it. Yes I know I am pro BA but I only comment on what I find.

Final 3 Greens
11th Dec 2009, 15:28
Jarvy

I didn't suggest a cheaper option, but a more expensive one.

I didn't mention BA. let alone knock the company.

I suggested KLM as an option, not Northwest.

And the OP suggested he may like a change, so I gave him an option that might work from Belfast and might be interesting, a ticket costing about 33% more for the equivalent of PE or WT+. In the interests of balance, was he starting from AMS, it may well have been me suggesting WT+ or PE because of market pricing.

Those minor points excepted, your critique of my post is highly accurate :ugh:.

Jarvy
11th Dec 2009, 16:18
Ok but I booked with KLM not knowing at the time it would be a NW flight. The cheaper bit wasn't aimed at you ,others bought up the price.
As with any service industry it all depends on the service you receive at any given time.
Back to the original thread its only BA and VS who fly direct from the UK to Vegas so which colour do you like, red or blue, it can be as simple as that.

tested satis
11th Dec 2009, 16:35
I would go with Virgin everytime. Just remember that BA are under notice of a strike.

Blink182
11th Dec 2009, 21:19
Mate of mine has just come back from a weeks holiday in Vegas . He went with VS and was not impressed ....tatty interior of the 747 and the IFE didn't work properly....( screens very fuzzy ) .....and the Girls are not all like on the advert !

apaddyinuk
12th Dec 2009, 02:58
Quote:
Unfortunately not all 3 class 777s have or will be updated with avod.

Actually yes, all the LHR 3class are now refitted with AVOD. All the LHR 3class 777's are RR powered birds and with the NCW refit scheduled to have been complete as of November all 777's in LHR should now have NCW and the RR pwered birds with AVOD. Its only some of the 3class LGW aircraft which are stuck with the GMIS system which is to eventually be replaced with the new Thales system!