PDA

View Full Version : Dry Season 2010

NGsim
5th Dec 2009, 04:15
A question for those of you with your finger on the pulse of the nation.....

As the world claws itself out of this GFC what do you think the typical northern hiring season will be like in the new year?

I'm looking at doing the trek as I can no longer survive on the 14k a year salary, I'm looking for a larger, preferably coastal place (eg. Darwin, Cairns, Broome etc.) with around 1200 total and 500 multi.

Also to ask the question for those even more newbies than myself, what do you think the season in the more remote areas will be like for the 200 hour club that are looking for that elusive first gig?

NG.

RENURPP
6th Dec 2009, 00:32
Northern Australia GA as a large percentage caters for the aboriginal section of our community, and other remote government support. (power, water, etc) The GFC will not affect that area, in fact with the money KRUDD is throwing around it may provide more jobs. the tourist side may be affected though.

Ixixly
6th Dec 2009, 08:37
yep, its bloody difficult getting from that 150-200 all the way to 500 now. Thank you insurance.

RENURPP
15th Dec 2009, 18:22
Its a dam site easier than it has been.
Y generation pretty much covers it. I want it now!

Capt Claret
15th Dec 2009, 20:00
Is it hard these days to get work as a fresh CPL?

It was back in those days when I and my contemporaries were fresh. :oh:

tarmac12
15th Dec 2009, 22:46
Packing the car and departing Victoria permanantly on the 4th of Jan for Darwin. Going via Alice Springs and Kununurra on the way. If anyone would like to come along I would appreciate the company and it would be safer with more than just me driving. I have two spare seats so if your interested just pm or email me.

Cheers

The Green Goblin
15th Dec 2009, 22:54
Darwin via Kununurra from Victoria??? :ooh:

You might need to look at a map buddy!

Oh yeah fellas (and Sheila s) from the amount of PM's I have been getting (Sorry if I have not replied to you yet, there is only so many hours in the day) there will be a lot of guys heading to Kununurra this year. You had better get in early!

Just a heads up, you all may as well bypass Darwin altogether. There is not much going on here apart from the likes of Airnorth and Pearl which need 2000-3000 hours respectively. Put your flag up in Kununurra or Broome.

GG

Ixixly
15th Dec 2009, 23:44
So which do people think will be the better option? Kununurra or Broome?

the wizard of auz
16th Dec 2009, 00:11
Probably Kunners. there is a million pilots walking the streets of Broome and there seems to be very little movement at the moment. A lot of the drivers are staying on in their current positions. there will probably be a little movement, but I wouldnt think there will be very much. the place is very expensive to live and the "other" work you need to do to live is drying up.
I don't know what Kunners is doing, but I would suspect its similar.

YELOSUB
16th Dec 2009, 01:24
Pilots heading up north this year make sure u got 500hr and a bit time on 210/206. Rent and transport is expencive so u need other job to support ur self. Hopefully next year will have more vacancies than this year.

brisbane03
16th Dec 2009, 01:51
Head to Kununurra as a few pilots have moved on recently and will be replaced next season. You don't need 500hrs or c210/c206 time just a good attitude and willingness to work hard.

Good luck

soseg
16th Dec 2009, 08:21
Packing the car and departing Victoria permanantly on the 4th of Jan for Darwin. Going via Alice Springs and Kununurra on the way. If anyone would like to come along I would appreciate the company and it would be safer with more than just me driving. I have two spare seats so if your interested just pm or email me.

4th of Jan? I would've thought its a tad early...

I'm curious what would be the recommended latest period (roughly speaking) of going up? I was thinking mid Feb would be right to previous posts I've read... but tarmac12 up there ^ with early Jan just seems too early? :confused:

PA39
16th Dec 2009, 08:25
Check on Maningrida while your up there.

Horatio Leafblower
16th Dec 2009, 09:59
Soseg

I headed up to Kununurra in December, 1995.

When I got my start it was in May.... May 1997, and I leap-frogged at least 2 guys who had been in town longer than I had. :uhoh:

There is no "right", "Wrong" or "Early" time to move.

If you can get up there and get established, get a job etc the locals will be slightly less inclined to think you are just another superficial, rayban-wearing Backpacker-rooting move-on-at-first-opportunity pilot fukcwit. :hmm: :ugh:

My lasting impression is that it was easier to get casual (non flying) work in Wyndham but now that Ord Air has gone you might as well live on Mars. :(

Capt Fathom
16th Dec 2009, 11:15
Is it hard these days to get work as a fresh CPL?

Only if you are a Wannabe !

longrass
16th Dec 2009, 13:40
Or a kiwi, ranga or arab

pilot2684
16th Dec 2009, 14:11
Leaving for Broome this coming monday.

Hope to see you all up there. One thing I will point out. Get yourselves either a HR ticket or a T class endorsement. Makes for an easier path for a job

eocvictim
16th Dec 2009, 15:09
A couple of us are heading up to Derby in Jan.

jcorney
17th Dec 2009, 01:58
didn't realise that about the HR endorsement, I will be heading that way in 2011 and have a HC licence currently, hopefully that might make life a bit easier

jcorney
17th Dec 2009, 08:15
yeah I know, almost makes me tempted to get my dangerous goods certification back :ok:

just didn't think that having the truck licence would be that useful, god bless the army :)

The Green Goblin
17th Dec 2009, 08:30
Good advice from Marko regarding the HR.

You will be required to drive the tourist bus for the Bungles pickups before the flights. You used to need an F or T endorsement on a WA licence also. I had a T (regional taxi) licence however I don't think it's required anymore as the bus is not for hire or reward but a complimentary pickup for the flights. Most of the buses you can drive on a standard D/L as they are 12 seaters however one of Alligators buses did require a HR when I was there.

LambOfGod
17th Dec 2009, 09:00
Hold up.. ...$14,000p.a:ugh: Thats gotta be casual or a few hours a week right?

Xcel
17th Dec 2009, 11:18
youth allowance would be about 14k a year.... im sure some operators think it is an equal a task as flying a bug smasher

NGsim
17th Dec 2009, 18:53
That's for flying around 7-800 hours a year......the joys of working in second world countries.......thankfully the wage is 'survivable' here but i'm still going backwards slowly so it's time to move on.

pilot2684
17th Dec 2009, 22:39
Only reason I suggest the T class endorsement for your licence is that during the downtimes you can find work with the local taxi companies. They are always looking for driver.

HR isn't HARD to get. $17.80 for the Learner Permit and a few driving lessons and you're sweet.

HC covers all licences below it (ie HR, MR, LR).

Safe Flying and Safe Landings

D-J
17th Dec 2009, 22:47
HR isn't HARD to get. $17.80 for the Learner Permit and a few driving lessons and you're sweet.

What state did you do your license in?
I can't remember the exact rules for HR but for HC in SA it's logbook based and will cost upwards of $2k

pilot2684
17th Dec 2009, 23:15
WA matey. NT has even more 'laxed testing.

Also. Goblin, the T class you have covers the F class also (which is the bus licence). It's easier to get the T class endorsement than it is for the F class suprise suprise

BlinkC182
18th Dec 2009, 08:29
GGoblin,
How many people do you expect to arive at Kunners over the next few months?

The Green Goblin
18th Dec 2009, 08:44
From the amount of guys who have pm'd me over the last six or so months, to put simply........****loads :{

The biggest hurdle will be the guys from last season will not have moved on so they may all be coming back.

I would expect though to see moderate movement next year if the dribs and drabs of guys leaving right now are any indication from the regionals to jets.

tmpffisch
18th Dec 2009, 22:21
From the amount of guys who have pm'd me over the last six or so months, to put simply........****loads

But how many do you think will step up and actually do it?

The Green Goblin
18th Dec 2009, 23:24
I don't know mate, it will be interesting to see because it is a sign of the health of our industry.