PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Briefing--CPL checkride

ayush konisetty
4th Dec 2009, 18:29
Hello, i have my commercial checkride coming up and iam looking for a good prefligtht passenger briefing on the PA-28r 200 and also in general if i try and explain my passengers about engine outs in various stages of flights does it freak them out:confused:, especially the more nervous passenegrs.:rolleyes:

Any other suggestions regarding the commercial checkride are most welcomed:)

Thank You
Ayush

MIKECR
4th Dec 2009, 18:55
The passenger should be treated as a "passenger". Think about the brief you get on a typical airline - how to use the seatbelt, how to use the oxygen etc.
Apply that to a light aircraft - very similar i.e. seatbelts, door latches.....perhaps include where the fire extinguisher and first aid box are. Personally, I wouldnt include anymore....and i certainly wouldnt be speaking about engine failures etc....they are a 'passenger'! My local CPL and IR examiner would chin you one if you mentioned anything about engine failures or icing conditions etc!:ouch:

TopGunGB
4th Dec 2009, 19:04
I was told to keep the pax brief limited to: operating the hatches and harnesses, the location of the fire extinguisher and first aid kit, and how to adjust the seat. But on test, my examiner said he was familiar with the aircraft and wouldn't require a brief.

What he did ask for was a take-off emergency brief, in which I explained what my actions would be if I had an engine failure on the ground roll, just after lift-off, etc.

Best of luck on your test!! :ok:

PAPI-74
4th Dec 2009, 19:39
Don't forget the turn on the ground if you have a fire on the take off run. Shortest turn to put and burn downwind to aid egress.

Include pax comfort in the brief - fresh air -
And how to get into the cabin i.e. walkways, step up's and handrails.

Ask if their feet are clear of the rudders for take off - you may need them for your emerg turn or if they are anxious, they may tense on them.

selfin
4th Dec 2009, 20:28
The extent of the briefing will be determined by the examining officer. Unless he gives an indication to the contrary it would be prudent to ensure the following elements are included:

Prior to entering the apron

Determine any special requirements, medical conditions, etc.
No smoking.
All personal electronic devices shall be switched off prior to entering the apron and shall remain off until back inside the terminal.
Ensure passengers are not carrying prohibited or restricted items.
No running on aprons. No approaching directly in front of moving aircraft. Treat all propellers as if they are live.
Reminder to make use of restroom facilities if necessary.
Ask whether passengers have any questions.
Boarding:

If low-wing aircraft - no stepping on wing flaps. If high-wing, reminder not to scalp oneself on sharp trailing edges of wings.
Demonstration of how to open the main cabin door locks from outside the cabin.
If passengers seated in the rear - explain use of seat-back release lever.
Reminder not to smoke while on board. Reminder to ensure personal electronic devices are switched off and shall remain off.

After boarding:

Explain operation of main cabin door locks from inside the cabin.
Point out and explain the operation of the emergency exits.
Point out the fire extinguisher and first aid kit. Explanation of fire extinguisher operation.
Use of oxygen equipment if applicable.
If over-water and if applicable - (simulated) demonstration of use of flotation devices and reminder not to inflate them while inside the cabin.
Explain how to fasten, tighten, loosen and unfasten seat belts, diagonal shoulder straps, harnesses, etc. Instruction to keep them fastened until told otherwise.
Location and operation of any other equipment or items intended for use by passengers (airsickness bags, intercom, etc).
Any special actions to be taken in the event of an emergency (demonstrate brace position to be adopted if instructed).
Instructions on stowage of personal items.
Ask whether passengers have any questions.

See also EU-OPS (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:254:0001:0238:EN:PDF) 1.285 and/or the regulations governing your flight.

ayush konisetty
4th Dec 2009, 22:51
Awesome! i will definetly include some of the fine points that have been suggested. Thank you all for your time:O

Shunter
5th Dec 2009, 07:00
You'll just end up tripping yourself up if you try and remember all that lot.

I stuck with how the doors work, fire extinguisher, first aid kit before we started up. At the hold I told him what I'd do if I had an engine failure during take-off roll, after take-off etc.

Dane-Ger
5th Dec 2009, 07:56
Each examiner has his own slight preferences, your CPL instructor should be able to inform you of what is expected as he should know that particular examiner well.

A certain Mr H-H at Perth would most definitely have given me one of "those" looks along with a right bollocking if I had started mentioning engine failures to a passenger.

Simple, along the lines of how the door works, how to adjust the seat and harness, the fire extinguisher is here, first aid kit here, please keep your hands and feet free from the controls at all times, let me know if you are too warm or cold, any questions?

Your actions in the event of an engine failure are nothing to do with the passenger safety brief, they are part of the captains brief, you can establish with the examiner before entering the plane if he will also expect a captains brief, mine didn't.

good luck
regards D-G

thetimesreader84
5th Dec 2009, 12:10
All good points so I won't repeat them. Only thing to add is to mention where to vacate in an emergency, e.g. "vacate to the rear off the wing, away from the prop and I'll meet you 100 yards/metres upwind of the aircraft. Please don't leave the scene unless myself, or someone in authority allows you to do so."

in JAR/UK land I was allowed a written cheat sheet for the pax/TO. brief. However I had it memorised as my instructor insisted on at least one or the other on each flight!

Good luck.

TTR

All spelling mistakes are iPhone induced.

SW1
5th Dec 2009, 16:31
Dont forget to remind them to remove their false teeth and spectacles should a forced landing be needed!:ok:

ayush konisetty
5th Dec 2009, 19:12
Thank you all, i think iam ready for the ride.:cool:

Phenom100
5th Dec 2009, 20:54
I used the following for the Arrow:

"Welcome on board for your flight in this Piper Arrow.
You will find a seatbelt on either side of your seat, i will be happy to demonstrate it's operation if you are unfamiliar with it's design.

For safety reasons l must ask you to refrain from touching any of the a/c controls and there is no smoking permitted in the a/c at any time during the flight or on the ground.

Also the use of mobile phones or electronic equipment is not allowed. If you have a mobile phone l would ask you to switch it of at this time.

In the event of an emergency requiring a forced landing, you will be requested to adopt the braced position (demonstrate) ensuring your seat back is upright, seat belt is fastened and to remove any false teeth and spectacles.

The door is unlockd by moving the top latch forward and the bottom latch upwards (demo) and then pushing the door outward. If required to evacuate, exit the a/c to the rear and move to a safe point upwind.

In the unlikely event of a fire on board, there is a fire extinguisher between the seats and a first aid kit in the pouch behind your seat (show)

Hope that helps.

Phenom 100 :ok:

corsair
6th Dec 2009, 09:50
Someone explained to me that the rationale of the CPL flight test is not so much a test of your flying abilities as a test of your abilities to be a professional pilot. The examiner naturally assumes you can fly the aircraft to a high standard or else you wouldn't be there for the test. Of course if you cannot you won't pass but for the most part the majority of CPL flight test candidates are going to be competant pilots.

Where they go can wrong is in failing to take command of the aircraft. So the approach at all times is that you are pilot in command. That has to be you attitude from start to finish. So when it comes to passenger briefing, the detail is not so important as the way it's put across. If you're hesitant and stumbling over words, forgetting your lines etc. It won't inspire confidence.

Many examiners see it this way: 'Would I let this pilot fly my wife and children?'

Minor mistakes during a flight test are less important the the attitude of the candidate to the mistakes. Fail to show that you're pilot in command and it wil go bad for you. Be the Captain of the aircraft on that flight.

TheRich23
6th Dec 2009, 13:32
I downloaded a standard safety card, in my case for an Arrow. Print out, type out any information on the reverse you feel relevant to your Airfield, Laminate. Examiner was more than happy with this. Best of luck.

http://www.freewebs.com/theflyingmonkey/PA28SafetyCard.pdf

CraigyD
7th Dec 2009, 22:37
"Fail to show that you're pilot in command and it will go bad for you. Be the Captain of the aircraft on that flight."

I think I almost failed my PPL skills test when I asked the examiner what they would do in a situation I was presented with. I knew what I wanted to do and did it, but I didn't tell him and just asked to make conversation really... Will remember not to do that again:ugh:!

When I fly with friends I ask them to limit conversation during critical times such as take off, approach etc.

Blinkz
7th Dec 2009, 23:24
Good points all been mentioned. Keep things simple and to the point, they are a passenger and don't need to be overloaded with lots of information. Always try and make it friendly, it will help relax them and enjoy it more. One point I always mention is that if they do accidentally hit a switch then they should tell me and not be embarrassed etc!