PDA

View Full Version : Locked in an Arrow

Arnold E
4th Dec 2009, 08:38
After talking to one of my mates tonight (whilst having a few ales)I have a question. Does anybody remember an incident in the 80's where someone managed to lock themselves inside an Arrow on a really hot day at YPPF.
Details PLEASE:E

Peter Fanelli
4th Dec 2009, 09:42
ummmmmm nope

sms777
4th Dec 2009, 10:12
I tell you what Arnold, I have access to an Arrow at Bankstown.
I am trying to lock myself in it over the weekend, watch the news at six'o clock every night see what happens. If you do not see me, I made it!

Sorry if i sound sarcastic but i think it is funny!

Arnold E
4th Dec 2009, 11:24
You can be sarcastic, but I can assure you the people in question did infact lock themselves inside the aircraft and I know how it happened, I just wondered if anybody else could remember the incident.

PS. ATC knew about it, guess why.

Homesick-Angel
4th Dec 2009, 11:37
You can be sarcastic, but I can assure you the people in question did infact lock themselves inside the aircraft and I know how it happened, I just wondered if anybody else could remember the incident.

Well dont hold back....How?

YPJT
4th Dec 2009, 11:40
You can lock yourself into an Arrow, Warrior etc if you have the overhead latch in the closed (retracted) position and then, like most ham fisted hirers, slam the door shut. I saw it happen to some clown at Jandakot who then proceeded to break the fly window as he stuck his fat arm out waving madly trying to attract attention. Never occurred to him to just call ground and ask them to call the office.:ugh:

4th Dec 2009, 12:44
Does anybody remember an incident in the 80's where someone managed to lock themselves inside an Arrow on a really hot day at YPPF

No but I can remember a certain Govt Air Wing pilot who was locked in PA-31P because someone had left the key in the lock on the outside.

privateer01
4th Dec 2009, 20:06
It is in fact pretty easy to do....

Top latch and all....

Can be done in the Tomahawk Pa38 and a few others.

Most of the time if you have a sturdy Pen...ya can flip the latch and get out.:E

Not sure if that falls under Maint tho......:}

Arnold E
4th Dec 2009, 20:12
The guys at YPPF did infact call ATC on ground frequency to ask them to call the office to come and let them out. the radio transmission from the tower was quite ammusing and much mirth could be heard in the background when the controller was asking "I take it you dont want us to tell anybody else about this" ( or words to that effect). Ofcourse in those days Parafield was quite busy and many people were listening on the ground frequency. Much mirth all round, just wondered if anyone else recalled the time.:E

Sunfish
4th Dec 2009, 20:13
Usual problem seems to be the reverse - inability to lock the door.

Jabawocky
4th Dec 2009, 20:18
Arnold...... YOU seem to know a lot about this incident, so how did you cope with the embarrassment mate? :E

the Dash 7 should not have that same proplem :ok:

Arnold E
4th Dec 2009, 20:31
Can only admit to knowing about the incident:E was re-living the mirth while having a few(several) beers with a couple of oldtimers last night. Actually we re-lived many funny things in that session.

Aye Ess
5th Dec 2009, 02:02
Yep.....I remember a PA28 back in the 70s,arrived at Coolangatta & the upper door latch broke necessitating a hurried call to the aeroclub...'let us out!!'
Also a while back,in Melbourne I think, a pilot requested a transponder code ending in double zero. When questioned why by ATC,the answer was ''because one knob just fell off the transponder''

FRQ Charlie Bravo
5th Dec 2009, 12:31
It happened a while back in an F-22 Raptor.

Read and see pics here (http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=20396)

http://images.spaceref.com/news/2006/f22.40.jpg\

FRQ CB

PlankBlender
5th Dec 2009, 21:20
that is one sturdy canopy!

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Dec 2009, 22:13
It happened a while back in an F-22 Raptor

Geez, what an idiot!

Why did he not just pull the emergency canopy release handle? It's generally painted in very prominent colours - black/yellow/red stripes!

Don't know where it is on a Raptor - down between ya legs or above ya head - but it is generally covered in the endorsement.

It is a great system in the Raptor - not only opens the canopy but assists you in egressing (?) the aircraft as well!

Dr :8

Aye Ess
5th Dec 2009, 22:22
Good advice Forkie,BUT,just before pulling the aforementioned handle,I'll bet you would think...gosh,what if it still sticks,then I will be a smear of butter on the inside of the canopy.

PlankBlender
5th Dec 2009, 23:22
yeah with a fault in the canopy mechanism the risk of pulling that handle might be bigger than enduring hours baking in the sun, although I suspect he'd have the aircon going (they do have one in a multi-gazillion-dollar fighter plane, right?)..

of course one would suspect that the ejector seat wouldn't trigger unless the canopy had been successfully fired off, but with a fault in the canopy mechanism it would take one courageous (read suicidal) airman to pull that handle :eek:

..plus, of course, why risk getting shot in the air and having to rely on more systems and circumstances like a suitable landing space if there's big men with cool tools around :)

Runaway Gun
6th Dec 2009, 01:35
At least the Fire Rescue guys have the good kit...

I remember a Firey leaping onto my wing waving an axe once - simply for landing with fumes in the cockpit. I wildly gestured and simply opened the canopy, only to be greeted with a saddened groan.

evolved
6th Dec 2009, 07:52
As for the Arrow. I'm going to guess the closing the door with the keys still in the lock trick. :ok:

Arnold E
6th Dec 2009, 08:40
Yep, that would be the one