PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth

Mackay
3rd Dec 2009, 13:52
Waiting around for a lecture at plymouth uni earlier there were 3 sea kings knocking around for a fair while over the sound. looked like they were in junglie colours.

Any idea what they were doing? assume their attached to a ship, probs ocean.

Matt

AllTrimDoubt
3rd Dec 2009, 13:57
About 90kts?

airborne_artist
3rd Dec 2009, 14:05
Any idea what they were doing? Mostly straight and level, a few turns, perhaps even the odd landing? Sounds most odd, I do agree :E

Razor61
3rd Dec 2009, 14:15
On another note, look out your window again in a few minutes as they are going back to Plymouth now for a troop pickup. Just came overhead my house enroute. Then going back to Yeovilton again.

Looks like they are just ferrying troops from Plymouth to Yeovilton all day

airborne_artist
3rd Dec 2009, 14:20
Looks like they are just ferrying troops from Plymouth to Yeovilton all day

Don't they know there's a war on? In my day we'd have banged and rattled down to Guz in a four-tonner, and been grateful for the time to sleep. In my Dad's day they'd have gone by train, and half would have been shunted into a siding for the winter and left behind until the points de-frosted in March.

The youth of today...

airborne_artist
3rd Dec 2009, 14:47
SU - how on earth are they getting the Still and West down to Guz without spilling anything, or is there something more important in the pic that I've missed? :E

Fortyodd2
3rd Dec 2009, 14:47
"Any idea what they were doing?"

It's Thursday - isn't there a war on every Thursday out in the channel just off Plymouth?

c-bert
3rd Dec 2009, 14:48
That's Portsmouth....

Gainesy
3rd Dec 2009, 15:00
Neat outside overseas (sort of) dunny on stilts there.
Hmm, sure that's the right town?

bast0n
3rd Dec 2009, 15:49
Mackay

junglie

It is Jungly................:ok:

I no cos I are wun

airborne_artist
3rd Dec 2009, 15:49
That's Portsmouth.... C-bert - the RN thinks FOST (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/the-rn-today/rn-training/flag-officer-sea-training/) is in Plymouth, and while I know that navigation and positioning is not my old employer's strongest suit, I'm inclined to believe them this time. In the good old days it was in Portland (Dorset, not Oregon), but that was when we had a navy, not a coastal defence force.

And yes, I know that the shot is of Portsmouth. My old Dad lived literally round the corner from that boozer.

anotherthing
3rd Dec 2009, 15:58
A_A

I think c-bert was stating that the photo is Portsmouth, not the Thursday Wars. (His post was written at same time as the one above).

To do with the fact that Skip Undo thought that Jungly's flying over Plymouth today (Thursday) might have been greeting the arrival of a ship in Pompey yesterday.

Mind you, Mackay is a student - maybe he was p!!$$ed and woke up in Pompey to the sound of Jungly's, thinking he was still in Plymouth and having lost a day to the 'beer monster' :E

ZD714ONLINE
3rd Dec 2009, 16:50
Thats an awesome picture.

Mackay
3rd Dec 2009, 20:19
Mind you, Mackay is a student - maybe he was p!!$$ed and woke up in Pompey to the sound of Jungly's, thinking he was still in Plymouth and having lost a day to the 'beer monster' http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Shh, don't let on. My head still hurts.

The B Word
3rd Dec 2009, 20:46
Is it me, or does the Daring Class look like a block of floating Council Flats? :confused:

diginagain
4th Dec 2009, 03:48
Is it me, or does the Daring Class look like a block of floating Council Flats?

It's to make it easier to sneak up on the Taliban. Imagine how it'd look if, instead of The Still and West, it was parked up behind the North Stand at Villa Park.

Union Jack
4th Dec 2009, 08:39
Thats an awesome picture......

..... but not half as "awesome" as it must have been in 1960 when VANGUARD, 46000 tons and 815 feet v a Type 45's 7200 tons and 500 feet, nearly demolished the Still & West whilst under tow on the way to the breakers!

Is it me, or does the Daring Class look like a block of floating Council Flats?

That's far too complimentary - even ABDIEL had a better looking funnel .......:ok:
Jack

Jack

bast0n
4th Dec 2009, 08:50
ANDERNOTHERTHING

And another thing!

The plural of Jungly is Junglies...................

Let us not start the Thursday apostrophe wars.......................

Incoming..................:ok:

dead_pan
4th Dec 2009, 08:51
Did anyone else spot our latest stealth ship hiding round the back of that pub?

It may be invisible to radar but it certainly is visible to the naked eye - d'you think they overlooked this during the design phase?

Gainesy
4th Dec 2009, 09:30
The plural of Jungly is Junglies

Sure it's not a Thicket?:)

tonker
4th Dec 2009, 09:49
HMS Spice island

Comes incomplete without a CIWS, anti ship missles or torpedoes! "The most adva.....":rolleyes:

bast0n
4th Dec 2009, 10:06
Gainsey

Sure it's not a Thicket?

We used that for the camoulfaged self loading freight in the back! Not to their faces unless you had a good head start, especially if they had green berets.................:ok:

ps: is the plural of Gainsey, Gainsies or Gainsys? But then again I cannot believe your mother would have had more than one of you having had the advantage of an early peek at you:) !

Gainesy
4th Dec 2009, 11:36
[QUOTE]is the plural of Gainsey, Gainsies or Gainsys?[/QUOTE

My brain hurts.....:)

Easy to get away from Royal, just shout "Gimme 50".

Well, gives you about 20sec start.:uhoh:

anotherthing
4th Dec 2009, 11:52
Must admit, being picked up by a Jungly for grammar is a tad embarrassing.

Anotherthing, ex FAA gentleman :}

bast0n
4th Dec 2009, 12:48
Andanotherthing

Are you a Pinger? I note you have a tab that states
Anotherthing, ex FAA gentleman
It is is time you "outed" yourself?:)

Pingers and gentlemen? - the jury is out on that one..............
Incoming.........:ok:

On second thoughts, are you ex FAA or ex gentleman, or both?:)

More incoming............................Pip Pip!