PDA

View Full Version : Career Helicopter Pilot

2nd Dec 2009, 23:09
Does anyone know if there are any scholarships or bonds around as it seems too expensive to get into it any other way, I've seen a "1000 hour" programme in the us for £37,500 but its FAA and of no use in the UK unless converted, and my local school have advised against any training abroad. Given the economic climate is it wise to just forget it all anyway as nobody wants to take on a novice??? any advise welcome.

Whirlygig
3rd Dec 2009, 06:46
Please read the Rotorheads forum. There are a few sponsorship for PPL(H); Dennis Kenyon, GAPAN, Air League. Once you've read all the training and sponsorship threads, then ask away.

Regarding FAA, your local school would say that, wouldn't they? However, a "1,000" hours for £37,500???? i.e. $60,000??? $60 an hour??? No way. Not for even for an R22. Better check your details otherwise I'd be there in a shot :}

There are differences between FAA and JAA, mostly in procedures and air law and you will need JAA in order to work in Europe but the States is great for hour building.

Cheers

Whirls

3rd Dec 2009, 11:06
the "1000 hours" is based on you becoming a flight instructor for them with no pay but free accomodation in orlando florida, after which you should be more employable. is living and working in america an option to be considered? and also is canada FAA or JAR?

Whirlygig
3rd Dec 2009, 22:03
The J1 visa, which is the one which would entitle you to work in the States, is about to be abolished.

Canada has its own aviation authority but it does have reciprocal agreements with the States. JAA is European only.

Cheers

Whirls

wobble2plank
4th Dec 2009, 12:42
With about 4000 hours heavy helo in my log book, SAR Commander, mountain flying, instructing and HEMS, I would tentatively suggest the 1000 hours in a Robbo or a Schweizer aren't going to do you a great deal of good in the current climate.

The industry has died a death over the past decade. Glimmers of light are appearing with BALPA attempting to regulate T's & C's in the UK but it is a long time coming.

By all means get the hours but you would be better off trying to get into a gas turbine helo at the earliest opportunity followed by multi engine. Quickest way to a job! Experience is king!

Best of luck, sorry to seem unhelpful but I got out of the Helo industry as it died and was sorry to leave but the fixed wing world is still where the money is.