PDA

View Full Version : Squadron Ties

X767
2nd Dec 2009, 15:22
I am trying to find out who still stocks squadron ties. I lost two (41 & 54) during a move and having tried Gieves and the squadrons involved. I am running out of options. Any ideas ?

Gainesy
2nd Dec 2009, 15:27
Wild ass guess, Squadron Associations perhaps, even though said groups
have seperate ties of their own, some keep the Sqn ones in stock as a money spinner, (and nick them back at the next piss up when you're hammered, nice little earner).:)

RAF Museum? They do the little badges, maybe ties too?

Bob Viking
2nd Dec 2009, 18:54
Now if you'd been looking for a tie for Colt's finest squadron I may have tried a little harder, but since you mentioned 41 and 54 my mind has gone blank!
BV:E
(Not talking about 16(R) before anyone gets smart with me!)

johnfairr
2nd Dec 2009, 19:41
Wot, Bob? You mean the first Phantom FGR2 squadron that had only a few years of REAL aeroplanes until it moved to Turnip Taliban Land . . . . ?

Also had two Royal Standards, I seem to remember. Great P*ss Up when King Hussein came across for the Diamond Jubilee. ;);)

grobace
2nd Dec 2009, 21:58
CH Munday Ltd will probably be able to help - at a price! Email address: [email protected].

TyroPicard
3rd Dec 2009, 11:03
You could always try designing something hideous...

Raf Fighter Squadron Ties, Raf Fighter Squadron Neck Tie Designs (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/raf+fighter+squadron+ties)

ian16th
3rd Dec 2009, 12:28
I know for a fact that the 214 Sqdn Association stocks 214 Sqdn ties,

A roundabout way to obtain other Sqdn ties might be to contact the 214 Association and ask for their suppliers details. That suplier probably supplies other Sqdn's and Associations.

http://www.214squadron.org.uk/default.htm

Got to admit that I only had to buy the 2nd one 40 odd years after the 1st one, it became a little too beer stained :)

Having keyed all of the above, I looked at the tags on the back of some of my ties. It seems that there a several companies in this business.

Recent 214 Sqdn tie, made by
Maddocks & Dick Ltd, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, EH8 8BJ. Tel 031-556-6012

C.1959 214 Sqdn tie, made by
Ryder & Amies, Cambridge.

Recent RAF BEA tie, made by
Keltic Ties, Tel 08450666699

philrigger
3rd Dec 2009, 13:43
I know this sounds obvious but you have not said that you have tried it;

Write to the Squadrons.

41(R) Squadron - Conningsby

54(R) Squadron - Waddington

At least they were last time I heard of them.

Good Luck
Phil.

OK Wrathmonk. I put my hands up - guilty as charged. 5 days jankers!
Appointment at specsavers booked.

Wrathmonk
3rd Dec 2009, 14:50
phil

You should have gone to Specsavers...

you have not said that you have tried it .... write to the Squadrons

and from the original post ....

and having tried Gieves and the squadrons involved

;)

X767
3rd Dec 2009, 16:36
Thank you for your replies thus far. I have tried CH Munday( no success) and am awaiting 214 Sqn reply. BV - I would contend that 41 Sqn were the finest at Colt ( TBC etc ), but my 54 Sqn time was at West Raynham on the Hunter.

Top West 50
3rd Dec 2009, 22:03
Try TM Lewin on Jermyn Street.

Bob Viking
4th Dec 2009, 07:28
Then we must agree to disagree!
Although I am right of course!
BV:}

Top West 50
4th Dec 2009, 09:43
Look out for the tie worn by Sir Roderic Lyne today!

Warmtoast
4th Dec 2009, 16:24
I would contend that 41 Sqn were the finest at Colt

Too recent for me. I knew them at Biggin in the days when we had an air force.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/41SqnMeteor8-2-1.jpg

Dengue_Dude
4th Dec 2009, 18:48
41 Sqn, weren't they Jags at Colt?

I seem to remember in summer 1976, there was a suggestion that they were going to have a yellow stripe painted on them!

Something about being WAT limited at homebase, northern Europe . . . oh the shame.

You don't want a tie to remind you of that do you?? :ok:

spoff
4th Dec 2009, 19:02
Ah Warmtoast,

The unmistakable lines of the Hunter!

VMD+12
4th Dec 2009, 20:48
Sir Roderic Lyne is the son of AVM Lyne who was Commandant of the RAF College Cranwell in the mid 60s but never served himself in the RAF

X767
4th Dec 2009, 21:22
Dengue Dude

Your comments about a fine aircraft and a great squadron do you a disservice. I have always been proud to wear the tie of any RAF Squadron, on any aircraft, at any station.
Now, can we have some constructive guidance as to how I might achieve my request ?

Top West 50
5th Dec 2009, 20:52
As I said earlier, if anyone has one, it will be Lewins. Sir Roderic was wearing the Air Focus Group tie, presented the previous day at the RAF Club (of which I am still pleased to be a member (sorry, wrong thread))!

X767
7th Dec 2009, 15:10
Thanks Top West 50 - tried with no success

Runaway Gun
7th Dec 2009, 15:24
Dear Mr Roger Day,

Thankyou for your request for a Squadron Tie.... ;)

ian16th
8th Dec 2009, 14:20
One point that seems to becoming apparent from this thread is that if you have a tie of a now disbanded Squadron, look after it!

It might even be a case of adding a codicil to ones will and making sure that one's offspring don't bin what is a rare and sought after item, by leaving instructions as to the disposal of such items.

Tankertrashnav, do you want to be in line for my 214 Sqdn tie? The newer one that is, I might ask to wear the original one in my box. :sad:

Oldsarbouy
8th Dec 2009, 18:28
Amongst my varied collection of ties connected with previous occupation the following own up to having produced them.
Sarbe tie from Neatware of London
Queen's Flight tie from H. Rumsey Wells of Norwich
Sea King OCU Culdrose tie from Bourne Publicity, Brookwood 04867 4535
Loadmaster tie from P. L Sells
22 sqdn Assoc tie from Ensign Motifs 01436 842581
5000hrs RR Engines tie from James Arnold of Macclesfield
Whirlwind tie from Macaseta, Goodall St, Macclesfield(maybe same as above)
Hope this is of some help even though the ties are a bit on the ancient side like the owner.;)