PDA

View Full Version : BALPA in the Offshore world?

helimutt
2nd Dec 2009, 09:54
Recently, in a galaxy not too far away, many things have been changing, and the Balpa reps have been working their socks off, only to have the company change things as they see fit. It would appear (not saying it's true) that things must be going on behind closed doors. Who knows, or really cares anymore.

Is Balpa a spent force in the helicopter world? If Balpa seem to be unable to make any difference to what the company ultimaltely will do anyway, then is the union membership cost worth only the licence protection cover? Does anyone have any experience of this protection?

RedWhite&Blue
2nd Dec 2009, 10:04
Helimutt

I posted this on Terms and Endearments - it may be of interest.

Feedback would be valued.

Professional Pilots and Professional Indemnity Insurance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having had my ATPL for twelve years or so I still worry about the 'what ifs'. What if I make a mistake which leads to me needing to defend my actions.

That defence may be in front of my employer, the Authority, a customer or whoever.

As far as I can tell as long as there is a 'reasonable prospect of a successful outcome' I may be able to convince Balpa to fight my corner. But how is 'reasonable' defined? What counts as a successful outcome? Maybe they can help or maybe not.

I have found insurance policies which cover legal costs for aircrew but they also have the same caveat.

So what are my chances if I have made a genuine mistake for which any defence has little prospect of a successful outcome? Other than, maybe, that of a mitigated penalty (which may actually be a great success in itself).

How could I fund a defence whatever the circumstances?

In other professions one can buy professional indemnity insurance which pays out if a mistake leads to a claim for damages.

So, I'm thinking of seeing if I can persuade an insurer to write a policy which combines the concepts of 'legal costs cover' and 'professional indemnity'.

What do you think, would that be of value to individuals in our profession?

ATB

Red

Update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have persuaded a well respected insurer based in the UK to consider how such a policy would be structured and they are working on it.

Hope to have news soon, but would still welcome feedback.:ok:

The Governor
2nd Dec 2009, 10:44
Depends which side of Hadrians Wall you work on.

All very well for sorting out issues on your own doorstep that directly affect you but fighting the corner for your colleagues when you already have your deal in place doesn't seem like such a pressing issue.

In my experience advice from the relevant people has been less than helpful.

A mass resignation from BALPA is not entirely unlikely if more of the one deal for us and let them sort themsleves out whilst recommending they accept worse conditions (& pay eventually!!) continues.

helimutt
2nd Dec 2009, 10:53
RedWhiteandBlue, please let us know what comes of this. Very interested in a stand alone sort of policy.

Governor, I heard a similar sort of thing recently. Would Balpa care though? Would it affect their pension? Probably not.

Can we expect decent pay rises next year? Was speaking to a friend of mine who works offshore, on the rigs, and I got a good idea of payscales of those guys. To say I think we're hard done to is an understatement. !!!!! WTF???:eek: