PDA

View Full Version : When does a sid expire?

Brie
2nd Dec 2009, 06:50
Hello

A 2 question to the ifr instructors overhere:

Recently i was cleared for a SID. The sid showed me i had to fly rwy heading to 2000' and then making a left turn to intercept a radial towards a vor called X.

Just after TO at 1200feet atc asked me if i was able to make a early turn towards that vor X, which i was.

My question is: if i make the turn, do i have to intercept that radial or can i fly direct towards the beacon??

This situation creates a second question for me: when does a sid expire??

I know it sounds strange but who can help me??

tx

Mach E Avelli
2nd Dec 2009, 08:05
If the SID procedure terminated at or before VOR 'X' and you were asked to make an early turn to that VOR, it is my understanding that the SID is no longer valid. Same with a STAR. Once you are picked off the arrival procedure onto a vector that is not stated as part of the STAR, or cleared direct elsewhere, the STAR should no longer apply and neither do any altitude crossing constraints (as you are no longer crossing intermediate waypoints). BUT, a caveat. If the SID or STAR continues past the next waypoint to which you are cleared, ATC should clarify the situation by saying 'resume STAR at Y' or similar. In the absence of such a statement from ATC, I would play it safe and continue with any requirements of the SID or STAR from that point onwards until it terminated according to the chart. As always, read the fine print on the chart re what is expected once you are on vectors and for any local variations.
I am sure there are experts out there who can quote the relevant rules.

DFC
2nd Dec 2009, 09:33
1. If ATC want you to route to XYZ you route from present position direct to XYZ.

If ATC want you to route to xyz via a specific radial they will specify that.

2. An SID terminates at the last point of the SID (navaid or reporting point). This is important to know in the case of comms failure during the departure.

Some SID's have extensions known as "Transitions" that link the end of the SID with the enroute structure. In that case when cleared to the last point on the SID direct one would then follow the transition (lateral and vertical profile) unless cleared otherwise.