PDA

View Full Version : The Goose corridor

BlindWingy
1st Dec 2009, 20:47
A strong rumour has started circling that the corridor leading to the Goose in MPA has been painted over by the new Typhoon crews!!!???

Can anybody confirm this travesty?

BW

sycamore
1st Dec 2009, 21:42
Just practising for when they have to repaint the `Phoon` after the `scrape` incident.....

TorqueOfTheDevil
1st Dec 2009, 22:27
Why would they repaint the corridor? It wasn't a Tornado theme, it was a 1435 Flt theme.

soddim
1st Dec 2009, 22:46
Do Typhoons have 'crews'. If so, who is the Captain?

bakseetblatherer
2nd Dec 2009, 05:05
The bitchin betty or whatever she is known as....

30mRad
2nd Dec 2009, 08:35
I have to say it would be really bad form if they have painted over history - 1435 Flt have been there for a v long time. There is an unwritten agreement amongst us GR4 folk not to deface the daubings done in our various holiday destinations around the world. Anyone remember the side of the HAS in Ali-Al Salem, the concrete blocks + building walls (original Al Udeid accommodation decorated by 14 Sqn!) in Al Udeid etc etc. Although, I did notice that someone had amusingly painted over the hole in the dam on the 617 Sqn crests painted out in Al Udied (very funny, but still think is offside).

Same rules applied at BFTS at Linton when you painted your cse badege on the crewroom wall. The coffee bar wall at N Luffenham was saved with all the cse stickers when AMTC moved to Henlow - some very old cse stickers there. I feel really quite strongly about keeping history and heritage alive to remind us.

Be interested to know if they really have obliterated history, what they've replaced it with (not much for them to shout about yet is there) and what was there in the 1st place!

frodo_monkey
2nd Dec 2009, 10:08
Be interested to know if they really have obliterated history, what they've replaced it with (not much for them to shout about yet is there) and what was there in the 1st place!

Haven't any pictures to hand (and those I do have would be incriminating...) - but basically each and every crew to have been down there wrote 'something suitably witty' or drew a picture. Quite a few pictures of long-disbanded F4 Sqn's and a few tributes to guys killed. Also a namebadge from every aircrew bod to serve on 1435 - with more than a few upside down :(

minigundiplomat
2nd Dec 2009, 12:09
If the 'phoon crew are so keen on painting, perhaps they could go over the sports pitches at Odiham with a tin of green emulsion, to cover up the scorch marks made by one of their number trying to avoid the side of the stn gymnasium last year.

Agree with comments made above, you never paint over the art of previous incumbents.

Gainesy
2nd Dec 2009, 12:16
Any pics of the artwork, particularly the unfinished bit by my old mate Ceej (C J Weightman) and his pilot Mongo (Ian Halden) were working on?

For those unaware, they went missing in an F-4 on a night AAR/PI sortie with a Herc.

30mRad
2nd Dec 2009, 12:31
I'm disheartened to hear that the Typhoo "Heros" may have painted over tributes to those taken from us. That would be really, really bad form, so hope it's not true.

Frodo - thanks for the info on what is/was there. I imagine a fitting and memory filled corridor.

whowhenwhy
2nd Dec 2009, 17:03
As an outsider looking in, the 1435 Flt corridor was a sight to behold. Could never walk straight through without taking a look. If this is indeed true it is a travesty and the phoon crews should be ashamed - even more so if they've done it having been down there before on previous types! :suspect:

frodo_monkey
2nd Dec 2009, 18:45
The only photo I could find of the corridor that wasn't in any way dodgy - still, faces crudely deleted to protect modesty!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/frodo_monkey/Goosecorridor.jpg

I have a picture of the unfinished CJ/Mongo artwork somewhere, shall post it if I find it.

Giant Swede
2nd Dec 2009, 19:50
Not good if true, my money is on this being false, as no one would be this stupid. Hopefully.

advocatusDIABOLI
3rd Dec 2009, 09:11
On the other hand, this 'could' be seen as progress in the modern Air Force. Paint the whole corridor, clean out the 'Goose' of irrelivant cr@p and replace the lot, with a smart lounge / coffee-drinks dispenser.

Cleaner, tighter and better facillity to service the hero Typhoon Crews, who luckily have arrived just in the nick of time to save the Falklands from the invading Argies. Yes, Yes, progress indeed.

Unfortunately, the new, glossy facillity will be under-used, as I understand all the Tiffy jocks are busy having Tanker/Formation/Skill lessons at the mo. :D

Advo

PS- Fellas, please paint over my work, it really turned out rubbish! But if you paint (or have painted) over the Mongo Wall, there will be hell to pay.........:ooh:

bakseetblatherer
3rd Dec 2009, 09:30
Nice pic, brings back memories (even if they are fuzzy ones!)

I now have regrets that I didn't take more piccies of mundane things like that to be boring about in my retirement ;)

Sandy Wings
3rd Dec 2009, 10:43
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac31/macfraser1/5162_99486641586_622841586_2586919_.jpg

two more to add to the RIP(jul 09):rolleyes:, if the Typhoon boys would help out?

rock34
3rd Dec 2009, 13:27
:{

Before you all get your knickers in a twist, a few facts!

There are some new residents on the corridor, namely the Griffen crew. The walls are generally as they were before with all the graffiti / witty comments. Doors have had a fresh lick of paint, and those that are now lived in by the Griffen pers have their badges added on etc. The walls on the small stretch of corridor between the showers / toilets and the entrance to the Goose corridor have been repainted but still have a 1435 theme.

Yes, not everything that was there before is still there, but much of it is.

As for the Goose itself, I think it has been re-furbished but to what extent I'm not sure. Things a bit hazy following the beach party / BBQ (with sand).

navibrator
3rd Dec 2009, 17:47
If anything has been "lost" it will be an insult! There are ways of recording walls like this - it is called "photography" - if it had to be painted, then it should have been photographed and then framed for posterity.

Anything less is not acceptable.

The B Word
3rd Dec 2009, 20:44
More piccies please! :ok:

Giant Swede
4th Dec 2009, 21:08
Rock "The walls on the small stretch of corridor between the showers / toilets and the entrance to the Goose corridor have been repainted but still have a 1435 theme"

From what I remember this is pretty much the main "art-worked" area, with the bit beyond the fire doors to the Goose having all the badge cabinets. What has been repainted, this strikes me as either really poor form or just crass ignorance?

ExAdvert
5th Dec 2009, 00:47
Ok, ok everybody be cool......

By a strange twist of fate, I actually found myself living in my old room next door to The Goose in said corridor for one night only 2 weeks ago - approximately 5 years after leaving the RAF! Which was slightly surreal....

Anyway, I can confirm that:

1. The Goose Corridor & around 90% of its "historic" artwork are intact. As a previous post mentions, some of it (just to the left of the 43 (F) Sqn crest) has been lost due to the installation of another set of fire doors but this isn't a lot.

2. The Goose itself has been tidied up & is still going strong under new management despite the best efforts of the current CBFFI (or whatever he calls himself now) to close it down. Some of the more risque items (well, actually pants - we all wear them, so what's so risque about that?) have had to be removed which is frankly a sad indictment on our PC-mad Service culture these days - it's a bar, sorry lounge for Fighter Aircrew for f**k's sake! Anyway, all the main artefacts (F-4 wing, mural, etc) are still there.

3. The Typhoon guys are more than aware of the history of the place & the heritage they have inherited (remember more than a few of them are ex-F3 mates too) & are looking after it in the finest traditions.

Brought back more than a few good memories. And I can't walk down that corridor without stopping to look & read either - used to take me ages just to go to the shower!

Thanks for "hosting" me guys & top beach party! :ok:

BlindWingy
5th Dec 2009, 08:48
Thanks ExAdvert!

Very pleased to hear the rumour was exaggerated and that 90pc of the artwork is still there.

Sad to hear that some of the goose "displays" have been removed - obviously by people who do not understand the need for spirit within the Fighter Pilot world. The Goose should never be turned into a trendy wine bar!

Cheers

BW

bakseetblatherer
5th Dec 2009, 22:12
Looks great, can you give a linky to the full size image? Maybe post them elsewhere as not private?

EDIT: @exadvert: You've outed yourself, hope you didn't overheat in sunny FI ;)

Geehovah
5th Jan 2010, 20:09
I can't believe that the Typhoon guys would paint over history

Here's a few more for the archives. And I have a whole set

Before the H&S Nazis joined in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/DeeGee/Aircraft/Corridor1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/DeeGee/Aircraft/Corridor2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/DeeGee/Aircraft/Corridor3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/DeeGee/Aircraft/Corridor4.jpg

So which of the displays have been removed?

Cows getting bigger
5th Jan 2010, 20:18
Is there still a rather tempting ladies 'teddie' adorning the ceiling? ISTR a rather generous FC from Alice (Sue L*****) presenting it to 25 Sqn (and 78 ;)) circa 1989.

PS. Is the F4 vs. Argie 707 mural the original CJ picture?

bakseetblatherer
5th Jan 2010, 23:24
Cheers, brings a tear to my eye and a pain to my kidneys!

Bravo2
6th Jan 2010, 18:45
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/teb532/f2.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/teb532/f1.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/teb532/f3.jpg

Lima Juliet
7th Jan 2010, 12:36
Come on! Someone must have a picture of The Pole in The Goose...

Wander00
7th Jan 2010, 15:38
Changed a bit since I signed for it from the contractors in 1986!

bakseetblatherer
7th Jan 2010, 20:42
There is and was never a pole nor was there a bath in the Goose bar.. all malicious rumours spread by The Sun.

The B Word
7th Jan 2010, 20:57
There is and was never a pole nor was there a bath in the Goose bar

You, my Antipodean friend, are a fibber of the highest order! :ok:

Like LJ says...any pics of the pole in the cable drum?

nice castle
8th Jan 2010, 00:14
Love that corridor. So many very hazy memories of sauntering up there before retiring to the Tiger corridor. I did like the brown corduroy jacket of shame there, and sitting in the bang seat being fed stuff I clearly had had enough of already.

Good times. There, the Lot, Brintels, Timmys, and it was cool when HMS Endurance threw a party as well.

Let's hope the Typhoon chaps add to it, rather than take away......

AYTCH
8th Jan 2010, 15:30
There was and never has been a pole in the Goose. I presided over it for a while so am fully qualified to affirm that statement; however, we did have a roof support that girls had this strange affinity to :E :E :E !

Four Types
8th Jan 2010, 21:39
Thanks for the pictures...made a happy man very old! Oh the Goose?..dancing on the F4 wing, playing Tetris all day, singing along to Nina Simone ("My baby don't care for me!") ....and I wonder if there is still a signature from the wonderful 'Lucy Lycra' (Will she ever read this?). Oh how time moves on. Still in, still flying (just) but no windows! A definite entry in my book when I retire....a riproaring rollercoaster of a novel...with some hot gypsies thrown in :)

flipflopman RB199
8th Jan 2010, 22:15
As a latecomer to the party (as usual) I'm also happy to stand staunch against 'The Sun' and their tissue of lies regarding the pole in the Goose.

Not only was it never there, but as I recall, it had a Tornado mainwheel as a base, and not a cable drum....

You couldn't make it up!!!!

Flipflopman

The B Word
9th Jan 2010, 12:21
Not only was it never there, but as I recall, it had a Tornado mainwheel as a base, and not a cable drum....

The MK1 "original" Pole had a Cable Drum with the Maltese Cross painted on it and the words "Faith, Hope, Charity, Desperation" - how do I know? I was one of the guys who "installed" it!

As for "roof support" - utter blah! It was a scaffold pole, that was laying on the grass outside the accomodation and then a U-shaped bracket was fashioned. A hole was cut in the ceiling and then the Pole fixed to a rafter with the bracket - the other end fitted perfectly into the hole in the cable drum. Installation was late 90s or early "noughties" - my memory defeats me.

This is the type of cable drum...

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/890669/8463859/0/1238215122/wooden_cable_drum.jpg

I can't vouch for later iterations...

My favourite quote was when the then Army 1* CBFI came to the Goose and there were a couple of young lady officers swinging around the Pole (fully clothed I hasten to add!). He exclaimed "God God, where did you get those 2 from?", to which the quick witted OC1435 said, "Sandhurst, Sir!". They were 2 young army officers holding after Sandhurst! :E

Now the "bath" is a whole new ball-game altogether...

Come on, someone must have a piccy - I got fed up taking my camera after my 10th trip down there!

The B Word

cornish-stormrider
9th Jan 2010, 15:39
Schmuckin F**kin mutter grumble mutter.........

Not that I'm jealous or anything but as a piss boy mech tech ****** I kept missing out and then banged out PVR stylie with never having the pleasure.

More stories please ( and pics) and bein thick and cornish can someone point me in the right direction of the CJ & Mongo piece please.

Also PM with the rude bits, work is pants today and I miss the life

Fly Safe moi 'Ansom

Bravo2
10th Jan 2010, 13:11
Just for you AYTCH... hope you're coping ok with all those cocktails and beaches.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/teb532/f4.jpg