PDA

View Full Version : Now Or Never....I still want to Fly

roll_n_yaw
30th Nov 2009, 15:57
Hi all, I am not sure if anyone here has ever posted such a sad tale as I am about to.

I have non-current qualifications up to grade three IP, multi and NVFR, plus a uni degree in Aviation trown in. About 7 years have passed since I was in a cockpit!

Never worked as a pilot, to be honest never really tried. I could go on about why and how, but you live and you learn.
I am at a point in my life where I have simply said... Now or Never,

Problem is where to start. I have a full time job (feet planted firmly on the ground) and a morgage, no kids..yet and a partner who realises I will never be happy until I am up there again.
I want to know of any simmilar cases. Can someone suggest places and people in the Perth area who would give me the time of day (or evening) and lead me down the most efficent path to currency whilst taking into consideration my situation. Any resources, examples, successes would be very appreciated. :)

ab33t
30th Nov 2009, 20:17
Wel firstly that bug is the darndest thing. I was in a very similar situation and your timing is perfect keep your job and try and get all your training done while still employed .

PyroTek
30th Nov 2009, 23:32
and a partner who realises I will never be happy until I am up there again.
Well that's the hardest part already done for you:ok:

Pyro

bubble.head
30th Nov 2009, 23:51
Are you planning on having kids soon?

How flexible is your full time work at the moment? Maybe you can get leave without pay, or use your annual leave to build up some hours when the season, and flying picks up again. At least when you finish at your gig, and you feel it wasn't right you still have your job back home.

THE IRON MAIDEN
1st Dec 2009, 01:40
I'm not in the same boat. But I do know of people of mature age who have done it. Given you are in a major city and have a home there. I'm sure the idea of packing up and moving to a wonderful town like Halls Creek to fly a busted ass 210 doesn't sound that flash.

Have you thought about maybe going down the instructor path? Maybe keeping your full time gig and instruct on the weekends, then maybe half/half then eventually full time instructing? With your Uni qualifications even doing some theory instructing can pay pretty well. I know one guy who had a 2 week class for ATPL $800 per student 8 students $6400 for 2 weeks work?

just a thought

and good luck.

capt787
1st Dec 2009, 04:07
can you do part time instruction during the weekend?

p.s: i don't own a flying school :rolleyes:

Homesick-Angel
1st Dec 2009, 05:15
Hi roll.

Good post mate...I feel the pain but all is not lost..

I came into the biz as an old bugger (31:}) and kind of left, or am still leaving my old career as I move into the new one and I wont pretend its all been easy but your miles ahead of me in terms of quals to start with..I reckon the previous post about getting it going nice and slow is a good thing..Try and fit it around your current job, and dont leave it until you are entirely current again(it couldnt take too much to do so surely:confused:), and have an offer on the table that you can weigh up.

I think its a smart to move from one to the other as a process over time, as opposed to just dumping the stability for god knows what unless you have a huge amount of spare cash to cover however long it takes, but at some stage down the track you will probably have to make the transition fully.Perhaps you could negotiate to go part time at your current job while you get it off the ground?

Go and chat to the local schools and see what kind of deals they can offer you to get you what you need..

This post got more waffly than Id hoped so Il stop, but good luck with it all..

roll_n_yaw
1st Dec 2009, 06:11
Part time probably not an option, Im in managment. Arrive first, usually leave last.

Can anyone suggest an institution / company at Jadakot which perhaps has more experience dealing with mature pilots returning to flying?

XanaduX
1st Dec 2009, 09:12
If part-time is not an option, then what other options are there? Full time? :confused:

tinpis
1st Dec 2009, 21:07
Can anyone suggest an institution / company at Jadakot which perhaps has more experience dealing with mature pilots returning to flying?

Centrelink? :rolleyes:

squidward
1st Dec 2009, 22:03
and don't forget the cheap accommodation available at Bagot road in Darwin.... :}

Pandanus
2nd Dec 2009, 02:09
G'day Roll n Yaw,

Interesting post; like your brutal honesty. It might seem like a big battle looming ahead but in some ways you've already crossed the biggest hurdle. You've made a life decision to go after it with a vengeance and you've got the support of your partner. The pilot shortage is just having a break; it'll be back sooner or later and you'll find a niche in it somewhere. Congrats.

The Green Goblin
2nd Dec 2009, 02:45
Don't stick your toes in and measure the temperature of the water like a sissy......

Jump in the deep end, spend every cent you have till you're broke and put yourself in the same position as the rest of us. We have spent too much money, sacrificed too many personal relationships and lost too many out of aviation opportunities that we are now committed to that landing!

Wouldn't trade it for quids!

j3pipercub
2nd Dec 2009, 07:24
You've got thw supportive partner, so give it a go, give it everything you've got, just make sure your partner knows exactly what she's getting himself/herself into. The first few years can be a bit of a struggle ie long distance and the works. But if you're committed and they're totally supportive, good luck!! I second what GG said about the jump in the deep end too!

Zoomy
2nd Dec 2009, 08:42
The Green Goblin wins my vote, very very true, very very sad, but at the end of the day when I drink another mouthful of the stubby that has to last a week, I feel very proud of the distance I have run thus far.

Go mate go, jump in and have some fun.:ok: