PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 snags

x213a
30th Nov 2009, 15:55
Having no joy installing microsoft software onto windows 7. The disk drive just refuses to read or acknowledge disk 2 once it gets to that stage. I have tried saving the disks to HDD intending to install from the setup exe but I get blue screen of death when I try to copy disk 2 to the drive.
Sometimes I can see the contents of disk 2's in my computer, other times I cant.
I have been trying to install flight sim FSX which comprises of 2 dvds. I used to be able to read disk 2 in my computer but now it totally refuses to acknowledge it. I then tried to install FS 2004 which is 4 disks. Same problem. I have even tried tricking it by installing disk 2 to the HDD first but it blue screens me after a short while.
Basically, when the installation requests "insert disk 2" nothing happens. If I then go into my computer I get a "not responding" alert. If I click on the drive I lose every single icon on my desktop. If I then try to logoff or restart it just hangs and I have to switch the PC off at the back to restart it.
I have been using CC cleaner, and deleting the registry keys after each botched installation. I have also used Microsoft install tool cleaner.

Any ideas??

Cheers.

green granite
30th Nov 2009, 16:07
Have you tried installing it as
1) administrator
2) in the XP comparability mode

Sprogget
30th Nov 2009, 16:17
Or updating the driver for the optical drive?

x213a
30th Nov 2009, 16:30
Have tried running as administrator - to no avail, still hangs on disk 2.
Will see if any optical drive updates are available.

Edit: Device manager says its an NEC dvd_RW ND 4551A ATA device and the driver is 6.1.7600.16385 dated 21/6/2006.

According to device manager and update drivers tab this is the most current driver.

FL999
30th Nov 2009, 16:32
We just bought a new Quad core PC for the office and it wont read the FSX Dvd at all. The DVD works on other drives but not this one! :S try plugging in another drive and try. I doubt the Win 7 DVD is the culprit here.

x213a
30th Nov 2009, 16:41
From researching on google I think it's something to do with the file names on the disks all being named identical so the drive thinks disk one is still in. Also something to do with Microsoft anti-fraud type stuff.

x213a
30th Nov 2009, 16:51
Could it be a directX problem?
Just run dxdiag and it says I've got directx 11 installed. Would the version affect any installs? Would downgrading be worth a try?

green granite
30th Nov 2009, 16:53
As an alternative scheme try copying the discs as an ISO Image to say C:\temp and running the install from there.

If no go then try asking the question on Windows 7 Forums (http://windows7forums.com/)

Sprogget
30th Nov 2009, 18:46
Direct x is effectively a part of windows - it won't be that. At risk of being a record with a scratch, tried the drive mfr's website for known issues or driver status? - I wouldn't necessarily take on trust what device manager tells you.

ab33t
30th Nov 2009, 20:15
Make sure all the latest updates are applied and check in the update log if there are any additional updates , if there are any new drivers it may display that here