PDA

View Full Version : Computer forgeting PPrune sign in.

SOPS
30th Nov 2009, 10:22
Ok clever people, how do I fix this. I sign in, I check the "remember me" box..but when I try to sign in again I have been "forgoten". Some time sit happens when I am simply going between pprune forums..and I have to go through the sign in process all over again.

How do I stop this?? Thanks people.

Sprogget
30th Nov 2009, 10:36
You need to enable cookies. Which browser do you use?

SOPS
30th Nov 2009, 13:37
im using IE th latest update and I think cookies are enabled...tell me more.

Sprogget
30th Nov 2009, 13:46
Go tools/internet options/privacy/advanced/check override automatic cookie handling, then accept cookies from 3rd party sites.

See how you go from there. Alternatively, use a better browser altogether, like Firefox.

green granite
30th Nov 2009, 13:47
Tools>internet options>security, click on 'custom level' scroll down to the end and make sure the 'automatic logon button is selected.

SOPS
30th Nov 2009, 14:05
thanks will see if that works :ok:

MarcJF
1st Dec 2009, 21:12
i had the same issue, it was my anti virus (ESET NOD32) - disabled, logged in, and re-enabled - worked a treat

G-CPTN
2nd Dec 2009, 12:13
No problems with system remembering my login, but it seems to have forgotten which threads I have read (these used to lose the bold text) and I keep re-reading old stuff. Only happens with PPRuNe - other sites working OK.

Using Firefox most of the time though IE occasionally.

Saab Dastard
2nd Dec 2009, 12:15
but it seems to have forgotten which threads I have read (these used to lose the bold text) and I keep re-reading old stuff.

This is a known bug that others are experiencing - it drives us mods crazy. :(

SD

G-CPTN
2nd Dec 2009, 13:39
It started with occasional threads (ie the same thread(s) would remain blind to my access) but now it's most (but not all . . . ).

Relieved to hear that it's not just me and my system. Thanks for that.

Tarq57
3rd Dec 2009, 02:40
This has recently started to happen here, too, and hadn't before.
I use Firefox, cookies managed (and whitelisted) with Ccleaner.
Only recent change is a Fx add-on installed called Better Privacy (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623) (which deletes "super" or flash-based cookies on exit.)

Has Pprune recently taken to using flash-based cookies? Nothing else I've thought of explains this.

Once logged in, the site works normally.

G-CPTN
4th Dec 2009, 22:43
No 'super' add-on being used by me.

AVG Safe Search is the strongest add-on to Firefox that I have.

Tarq57
5th Dec 2009, 06:19
Dang. Now my logon is being remembered.
Aaah haive Exor-sized the Deamons!:E

Now, how did I do that?

henry crun
5th Dec 2009, 19:20
Tarq57: If you find out how you did it please let me know.

I downloaded Firefox 3.5.5 a couple of days ago and now I am faced with the same problem.
Cookies enabled and Remember Me is ticked but I have to sign in each time.

At the same time another problem has reared its head.
I think I have all the right boxes ticked but the address bar will not remember any urls I type in it.

green granite
5th Dec 2009, 19:37
tools>options>security tick the "remember passwords" box.

henry crun
5th Dec 2009, 20:23
green granite: Already ticked, but makes no difference, still have to sign in each time.

green granite
5th Dec 2009, 21:28
The only other thing I can suggest is in the privacy settings tab in 'options' there's a 'clear history' box and a settings button, check that the cookies and the saved password boxes aren't ticked, or just untick the clear history button.

Tarq57
6th Dec 2009, 00:05
What green granite said, plus tick the box "remember my browsing history".
I have no idea why it was forgetting my log in, nor why it has just started remembering it.

If you want to remove most cookies after browsing, but not certain cookies (eg:Pprune etc) I find the whitelist cookie cleaner in Ccleaner useful. Cleans all cookies except those you move to the whitelist.

cessnapuppy
6th Dec 2009, 00:59
@SD
Quote:but it seems to have forgotten which threads I have read (these used to lose the bold text) and I keep re-reading old stuff.

This is a known bug that others are experiencing - it drives us mods crazy.

Its stored client side in a cookie "bbthread_lastview"
But looking at the VB code, the output is buffered and sometimes cleared (which means the cookie value is either not set or destroyed)

You can reproduce this issue by opening multiple pprune windows (right click, open in new window) AND having windows open in TABS (within the the same browser window)

Apparently the thread flags get screwed up and invalid data gets sent back in one or more of the cookie instances and it just resets everything.

You could get around it by managing 'thread read' via database sessions but that would be all server side, and your server is creaky enough as it is :p

What would probably make it less likely to happen , is if you had a different cookie for each forum, so if the cookie value got destroyed it would only be for that forum.

piggybank
6th Dec 2009, 06:45
I have the same problem every time I want to log on to pprune, so many times I just don't bother to log on.

Yes my cookies are enabled, and as far as I know nothing deselected or changed. The problem came on a few months ago. With so many people seeming to be having the problem which end is at fault, all our computers or one site?

henry crun
6th Dec 2009, 07:24
Tarq57: Increasing the "remember my browsing history" to 14 days seems to have fixed the sign into Pprune problem, thanks.

Tarq57
6th Dec 2009, 07:50
Good one.
I don't know why it should affect the login status..I would've thought simply enabling cookies should have achieved that.
My history is set to 90days+.
I haven't changed anything, recently.

green granite
6th Dec 2009, 08:47
My history box is unticked, and the clear history box on exit is ticked, but It still logs onto sites automatically for me.

Keef
6th Dec 2009, 15:34
History and "cookies" ought to be different things. They are with Firefox; I dunno about IE.

green granite
6th Dec 2009, 17:24
You can elect to include cookies in the clear history option in FireFox : tools> options> privacy

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/orangeherald/Captureprivacyoption.jpg

click on the clear history settings:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/orangeherald/Capturecookie.jpg

Ian Corrigible
7th Dec 2009, 17:24
On a related note, is there any chance that the sign-in functionality could be tweaked to return users to the last page viewed prior to sign-in?

(Sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find any discussion under the relevant FAQ or via a keyword search.)

I/C