PDA

View Full Version : Threat of charges against ENG Pilot

VeeAny
30th Nov 2009, 07:09
Pilot, News Director Could Be Charged With Police Interference - KING, King 5, News Director - KTXL (http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-kingchopper1129,0,3258701.story)

TACOMA - Tension between police investigating the fatal shooting of four officers at a Washington coffee shop and the media attempting to cover the unfolding investigation were evident Sunday afternoon when a spokesperson announced charges may be filed against a television station for alleged interference.

Ed Troyer, spokesperson for the Pierce County Sheriff's Department, accused the pilot of a television news helicopter and the news director of KING Channel 5 in Seattle for interfering in the fatal shooting investigation of four Lakewood police officers, who were gunned down shortly before their shifts by an unidentified suspect at a coffee shop earlier that morning.

"We need you, and we need the public's help," Troyer told the media Sunday afternoon, "but we also can't risk having other people get hurt and having our operations jeopardized by a helicopter."

Troyer added the police department called KING's news director, Mark Ginther, several times to request a different location for the helicopter.

"They don't seem to care, or understand, or acknowledge the issue," Troyer said, following with a threat to reporters that if KING's news chopper showed up over the scene of the investigation again, "you're all out of here."

Ginther told Seattle ABC affiliate KIRO-TV the station complied with FAA regulations and moved their chopper every time he had spoken with the investigating agencies.

During a police investigation, reporters on the ground are subject to the same laws regarding a police investigation that ordinary citizens would be. Reporters may not cross yellow police "Crime Scene" tape to film, interview or gather news at the scene of a crime.

However, the same is often not true for television news helicopters flying over the scene of a crime, since news choppers often film from several thousand feet in the air in unrestricted air space.

Still, Troyer says the Pierce County prosecutor's office will attempt to file charges against the pilot of KING's helicopter and its news director.

Copyright © 2009, KTXL-TV

Who do you think is right then , the police or the reporters ?

I don't know, I wasn't there and don't anything about the way ENG works in the USA.

HillerBee
30th Nov 2009, 07:30
I don't think the police control airspace. There has been a discussion on this before. Usually they would be filming from 1000-1500 ft. and I don't see the problem in the first place. In Europe the National CAA would establish a TRA or 'no fly zone' and it would be very clear.

SASless
30th Nov 2009, 14:03
Having been both a Police Officer and a helicopter pilot....knowing the way the murder of an Officer affects his fellows....much less the murder of four of his fellows....when told to shove off....SHOVE OFF!

The Police would have been helpful by specifying exactly where they wanted the KING Chopper to place itself....even if that was back at the hangar.

The news folks could be a very great help in this investigation and the Police should find a way to work with them re the News folks need to report on this tragic event.

I would trade full coverage of the investigation provided the News people promised to NOT cover the arrest. That would simplify the resulting legal mess post arrest.....especially if there were no need for pre-trial incarceration, arraignment, trial, or imprisonment for the fellow that did this.

Gordy
30th Nov 2009, 16:03
Sasless is right. The police have no jurisdiction over the airspace, however, due to the sensitive nature of things on the ground, it might have been prudent to stay a little further out.

I also flew ENG and LE in the San Francisco bay area many moons ago. Just as most Ppruners do not hold the press in high regards with respect to aviation issues---the police feel the same way.

As for not filming the arrest, aside form the "sensation" gatherers...it was common practice to turn off the camera in my day... ;)

RaymondKHessel
30th Nov 2009, 17:31
There was (and still is) a TFR over the area up to 1500 MSL. I've heard that most ENG aircraft would be above this anyway.