PDA

View Full Version : Flight planning for a private trip around SEA

eloigorri
29th Nov 2009, 09:18
Hi forum,
I am in the initial stages of planning a tour of SEA starting in Bangkok, then Singapore, and thereafter Brunei, Philippines, Taiwan, Macao and back to Bangkok during February 2010.

I am a British PPL ME/IR pilot based in Bangkok operating a Thai privately registered Piper Malibu Jetprop DLX. My conservative range with 1hr IFR reserve is 950 Nm.

This is a purely private recreational flight.

I have experience operating in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore where I self handle, but none in any other SEA country, and I was hoping for some advice as to the likelihood of being able to obtain over flight and landing permits specifically for Indonesia, Brunei, Taiwan, and Macao.

If these places are open to GA, a guide to costs, time to process applications etc would also be helpful.

The Philippines leg is to coincide with the 2010 Clark Airbase Balloon Festival, and the organisers of that event have offered to help with the Philippines permits so hopefully that will not be an issue.

The route I am planning to and from Macao avoids Chinese FIR, as I have heard trying to get over flight permits for Chinese airspace is next to impossible for any single engine GA weighing less than 7 tonnes.
Many thanks in advance for any help.

Eduardo

rit
29th Nov 2009, 16:07
IMO it will be a lot of traffic during your flt fm taiwan-Macao which you may pass HKG airspace. permission for GA A/C will not very easy. other than that you will have a lot of airports a long your routes in Malaysia.

Have a good trip.

ReverseFlight
30th Nov 2009, 13:42
you may pass HKG airspace. permission for GA A/C will not very easy.

Hear, hear.

Captain Stravaigin
1st Dec 2009, 10:25
looking for a companion ? I fly in MY and have MY and FAA PPL SEP licences, plus a JAA CPL/Instructor rating. February is around CN New Year and will be holiday time for me.

I am a Brit living in KL and would be happy to join/share costs for a leg or two.

Cheers

eloigorri
3rd Dec 2009, 01:39
Thanks for the replies so far.

Is Taiwan open to GA? or are they as difficult as China to deal with in terms of GA?

Has anyone sucessfully obtained overfly permits for Taiwan->Macao, for GA and if an indication of the best way to do it would be appreciated.

Eduardo

eloigorri
3rd Dec 2009, 01:54
Thanks for the reply,

At this point I am not looking for any additional pilots as my schedule will be very fluid and subject to change at short notice, but thanks for the offer.

If I change my mind, I will let you know.

Where are you based in MY? What sort of flying are you doing there?

Cheers - E

Captain Stravaigin
3rd Dec 2009, 04:14
I am based in KL and have around 500h - nearly all in Cessna 172s and Piper Archers/Arrows. I fly from the Royal Selangor Flying Club and am hoping to get some sort of Instructor's job here when I finally get my MY validation of my JAA CPL etc.

I teach two days a week (Tuesday's and Thursday's) so I am pretty flexible. If your plans change let me know. When I worked with DHL I always set off to the office with a toothbrush and my passport in my briefcase.

I will PM you my cell phone number