PDA

View Full Version : English Phraseology Question

Pugachev Cobra
28th Nov 2009, 21:01
PPRuNers...

Just a small question here:

When I'm on an AFIS frequency, and I'm parked and ready to shutdown, I use "XYZ leaving frequency at ZYX."

But I've recently been confronted that you can (or should) use, instead of 'leaving frequency', "Vacating frequency".

I never heard that one, and in fact I think you use vacating only when exiting a physical place, most often being the runway.

But, I may be wrong. If someone here uses "vacating frequency" in any situation as standard phraseology, please let me know.

Also if someone knows about a document referring to the use of vacating frequency in phraseology, would be nice.

Thanks!

AirRabbit
28th Nov 2009, 21:48
:rolleyes:
If someone is all up in arms about anyone using "leaving" instead of "vacating," I would suggest that person has way too much starch in his shorts!

FE Hoppy
28th Nov 2009, 22:04
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF

chapter 4

Pugachev Cobra
29th Nov 2009, 00:42
Thanks FE Hoppy, it's always good to find another phraseology source.

I didn't find any reference to "vacating frequency" or "leaving frequency" in this doc, but there was a "will report leaving the frequency".

So, you don't use "vacating frequency" and never heard it being used?

ampclamp
29th Nov 2009, 03:09
It's semantics imho. In leaving a freq you are vacating it surely :rolleyes:
Perhaps your detractor is familiar with the term "being a tad anal?"

Tinstaafl
29th Nov 2009, 03:13
It wasn't your initial phraseology that was the problem. Obviously it was your response. Your reply should have been along the lines of "Pull your head in, mate. Anal retentiveness is not a substitute for communication."

bookworm
29th Nov 2009, 09:58
"Vacating the frequency" would be a particularly poor choice, as "vacating" is a word used exclusively with runways. There is a (small) risk of unnecessary confusion. In the UK, we "leave frequency".

bfisk
29th Nov 2009, 10:17
Here in Norway it's quite sufficient to just shut down... Isn't it obvious that when the flight is complete, you are parked and shut down, that you by default not will be on the radio??

Dixons Cider
30th Nov 2009, 04:46
I think you should have given him something like this...

"All stations, this is XYZ, I am terminating my radio watch and no longer monitoring this frequency, changing xxx day ce mal xx this time.
XYZ, changing xxx day ce mal xx. Good day" :E

Spitoon
30th Nov 2009, 04:59
I think you should have given him something like this...

"All stations, this is XYZ, I am terminating my radio watch and no longer monitoring this frequency, changing xxx day ce mal xx this time.
XYZ, changing xxx day ce mal xx. Good day"

Just to be equally anally retentive, I think it should actually be...

"All stations, this is XYZ, I am terminating my radio watch and no longer monitoring this frequency, changing xxx day ce mal xxx this time.
XYZ, changing xxx day ce mal xxx. Good day" ;)

To answer the original question, I've never heard of 'vacating the fequency' (UK-based experience) and would expect 'changing frequency to', 'leaving the frequency' or, if on the ground, 'shutting down'.

Firestorm
30th Nov 2009, 07:30
You have time to announce that you are shutting down , and are able to get to get the announcement in between everything else that is going on? You wouldn't be able to at most of the major airports that I've flown from, and that the others there wouldn't be anyone who was interested still listening on the frequency by the time we were on stand. I think you are being a tad over zealous by making the report at all.

JAR
30th Nov 2009, 09:02
The phrase/words "this time " does not feature anywhere in the CAP 413

roljoe
30th Nov 2009, 16:29
I rejoin the feeling of "Bookworm"...

You should avoid to use the term "vacating" ..the same way you will not use " Cleared for"... this should only be used regarding the position on or close to the runway...

Simple rules = safe rules..and I'm stick on it..

good evening

Big Pistons Forever
30th Nov 2009, 22:27
WOW.... when I first read this I thought it was a wind up..... but no.... folks are actually serious:hmm:. Here is a hot tip:

If you fly into any North American airport and conjest the frequency with the utterly useless call that you are vacating/leaving/ending/signing off/no longer monitoring the ground frequency when you shut down everyone will think you are a moron.:rolleyes: