PDA

View Full Version : Help with Funeral item please

usedtofly
28th Nov 2009, 04:33
Hi Guys,

My father in-law has just died and because he is ex RAF mother in-law wants to bury him with his body in his old uniform. He was a Chief Tech and left the RAF in the mid 70's.

The problem as I see it is that he kept his 'Blues' all this time but not the shirts or ties. Mother in-law wants to bury him with a white shirt and bow tie (!).

Can anyone advise please what colour shirt he would have normally worn when in uniform and what type/colour of tie too?

He was a very proud man and I would hate to think that he would 'turn in his grave' if buried in the wrong kit!

I can't say I fullly agree with the sentiment, but if mother in-law wants to bury him in his military uniform then at least she should get it right.

Any advice on the subject would be much appreciated including where we can buy a suitable shirt and tie if needed.

Many thanks

UTF

matkat
28th Nov 2009, 05:27
Well as he was a techie(as was I) he would have worn "normaly" either a dark blue (techie) working shirt with no tie alternatively a light blue (RAF light blue) with a black tie.
Hope this helps.
Is it possible to post his name as it maybe that some of us knew him.

sisemen
28th Nov 2009, 05:29
Relaxed "Mess Dress" for a chf tech in that era would have been No 1 Uniform with white shirt and black bow tie.

usedtofly
28th Nov 2009, 07:28
Is it possible to post his name as it maybe that some of us knew him. His name is Michael Minogue, he was last stationed at Finningley in the late 70's

Relaxed "Mess Dress" for a chf tech in that era would have been No 1 Uniform with white shirt and black bow tie I think that is what M.I.L had in mind, although my wife thinks he would have preferred to be formally dressed.

Many thanks guys, any more much appreciated

Dual ground
28th Nov 2009, 07:47
You could try here for a wedgewood shirt. No sign of ties I'm afraid, but they are black, nylon and of a conservative width. Shouldn't be too hard to find something appropriate. My condolences to you and all concerned.

Royal Air Force Clothing and Accessories - Surplus and Outdoors (http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/british-militaria/royal-air-force-raf.htm)

Tankertrashnav
28th Nov 2009, 07:54
"Relaxed" mess dress is a relative term. The white shirt and bow tie was used for formal evening functions in the sergeants mess and elsewhere as an alternative to full mess dress which is a different uniform altogether. At that period it was by no means obligatory for NCOs to possess full mess dress, so the arrangement as described would be entirely suitable. St Peter should be duly impressed!

Hope all goes well for you all on the day.

foldingwings
28th Nov 2009, 09:28
usedtofly,

TTNav is absolutely right and from what you have told us that appears to be what your mother has seen him in when he went to dine in the Sgts Mess. It would be perfect.

May he Rest in Peace, handsomely attired.

Foldie

Roger Sofarover
28th Nov 2009, 10:55
Usedtofly

I think whatever his Wife would like to see him buried in is of the utmost importance, and will quite honestly be perfect! you are a good chap to consider your FIL but you know, he won't turn in his grave, and if he is watching he will just be happy and grateful for such a thoughtful family. Let 'Mum' have her happy memory of him dressed as they once went to Christmas Draws or Summer Balls many years ago. Nothing else matters. Condolences to all.

usedtofly
28th Nov 2009, 19:25
Guys,

I am truly touched by your help and various kind offers. My F.I.L always spoke highly of the 'camaraderie' he experienced in the RAF and I can why.

I will put all this to M.I.L and see what she would like to do.

Oh, Imagegear, I asked my wife and she thinks probably not but I will try to find out.

Thank you once again to all of you, I feel honoured to receive your help and advice.

Kind regards

UTF

Top Bunk Tester
29th Nov 2009, 19:04
If you drcide to go with Wedgewood Blue I have loads of new ones in the loft and it would be an honour to send you one FOC, just let me know.

usedtofly
29th Nov 2009, 20:01
If you drcide to go with Wedgewood Blue I have loads of new ones in the loft and it would be an honour to send you one FOC, just let me know.Thanks TBT, a very generous offer :ok:. As it happens another pprune member is already on the case for me, but if we meet a problem I will come back to let you know.

Cheers

UTF