PDA

View Full Version : Max Kenworthy

soggyboxers
27th Nov 2009, 19:42
Many of you may have heard the sad news already, but I only found out today and it is with great sadness that I heard of the untimely death of Max Kenworthy, a man who I was proud to call my friend and privileged to have had as a true friend, boss, mentor and counsellor over more than 40 years.

Max had been ill for some time and finally died peacefully in hospital in Plymouth last Wednesday. He will be sorely missed by his family, his friends and all who knew him. I extend my sincerest condolences to all his family, particularly wife, Sandra and daughter and son, Michaela and Nick.

I first met Max when I was a young newly-qualified pilot on 845 Squadron. He was a great mentor to many of we brash, wet-behind-the-ears young guys who knew it all, especially the 2 ‘mini-Boots’. His ‘Earth Mother’ was a mother hen to our young wives and girlfriends, as well as their own children and foster children.

Max had a distinguished career as a Royal Navy pilot, qualified as a test pilot with ETPS and was CO of the Navy historic aircraft flight at RNAS Yeovilton, flying the old Swordfish torpedo bomber at numerous air shows. After leaving the Navy, he joined Bristow Helicopters and amongst other projects, brought the ‘Tiger’ simulator into service and was involved with the SAR S61. From Bristow he moved on to fly an ENG Twin Squirrel with Cabair, based in Redhill. He then became first the test pilot and then the Chief Pilot for McAlpine Helicopters, where he proved again to be a great friend and mentor. His final period of employment was as the Police Aviation advisor to the Home Office, from which he retired aged 64.

He was always willing to listen, gave sound advice and helped many.

Rest in Peace old friend. You will live on in our memories.

heliski22
27th Nov 2009, 23:31
Sorry to hear that news.

It was during his time in Police aviation that I dealt with Max, albeit briefly. I offer my condolences to his family.

Whatever he finds beyond the Pearly Gates, he will at least put some order on it!

May he Rest in Peace

ifsknt
28th Nov 2009, 08:09
That's sad. thanks for letting us know. I used to fly with
"Ken Maxworthy" on the NS in the early 80s on 332Ls and always enjoyed being rostered with him. He was a good hand.

tigerfish
28th Nov 2009, 14:21
I have been out of the country for a few days and only heard the sad news last night. The message was brief abut I surmised that he had probably been ill for a while.

I cannot claim to have known him as well as "soggyboxers" but nevertheless regarded him as a true friend, and one who I held in high regard for his expert knowledge and willingness to pass that knowledge on to others.

I knew him as the Police Aviation advisor to the Home Office and he with his sidekick "Ray England" mentioned above, were a real force to be reckoned with. Only the very foolhardy tried to ignore their advice and very few of them ever tried it twice.

Max was a Gentleman and a Scholar . He will long be remembered by a whole generation of Police UEO's, all of whom benefitted from his help and guidance.

So sad that his well earned retirement was so short.

Tigerfish

anonythemouse
28th Nov 2009, 20:47
Sad news, I met him on a few occassions but never with a beer in my hand (maybe I had a close call). Always found him a jovial, friendly person who was very approachable. Police Aviation in the UK owes him a lot of thanks, my condolences to the family

Rammy GMP
10th Dec 2009, 23:33
I have been out of Police Aviation (retired) for five years and still miss it. Today, by chance, I came across a note I had from Max several years ago, and thought I would Google him, that is how I ended up here; sadly a few weeks too late.

Max was incredibly helpful to me when I was UEO at Manchester. We always got on very well when he was H.O advisor and without him GMP would not have had the Air Support Unit, with fixed wing and rotary aircraft that it has today.

As a result of the support and guidance that Max provided in securing govt finance, without which aircraft would not have been acquired, it is not exaggerating the fact to say that many people have benefitted greatly from the work that Max did, and many owe their lives to him.

Overall though he was a great guy and so entertaining to be with. He deserved more time on this earth and I am proud and thankful that I knew him.

rugmuncher
11th Dec 2009, 14:36
RIP,,, sorry to hear that,

Was he the origin of the name "Smudge Kenworthy" or is that a different one at Yeovil?