PDA

View Full Version : Wanna feel proud?

PPRuNe Pop
27th Nov 2009, 14:39
Then have a look this 'little' girl who is now the MC awarded to a Royal Navy medic in Afghanistan.

BBC News - Navy woman collects bravery award (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8382575.stm)

A2QFI
27th Nov 2009, 14:49
A true heroine, modest and doing her job to the best of her obvious ability. A true "celebrity" in the proper meaning of the word. Well done young lady!

Mr C Hinecap
27th Nov 2009, 15:07
'little' girl

Could you get any more patronising? I bet you'd like to pat her on the head and pinch her rosy cheeks :rolleyes: I guess the MC alone doesn't get her the treatment she deserves as an equal.

Follow Me Through
27th Nov 2009, 15:18
Absolutely patronising and this from our moderator.

Grabbers
27th Nov 2009, 15:21
Not normally one to stand up for authoritaah, I thought the Mod was expressing irony.

airborne_artist
27th Nov 2009, 15:22
A true professional who deserved her award, but little girl, no.

Dengue_Dude
27th Nov 2009, 15:24
Could you get any more patronising? I bet you'd like to pat her on the head and pinch her rosy cheeks I guess the MC alone doesn't get her the treatment she deserves as an equal.

You'll be complaining that A2QFI said 'young'. Get a life!

He STARTED the thread by pointing out how brave, she was and 'do you wanna feel proud' . . .

. . . then YOU pick on the only possible bit that might not be PC and have a go.

Can't you EVER just SEE what is being said and go with it. My wife is a psychotherapist and often observes that 'it causes as much trouble taking offence, as giving it'. You are a case in point.

By the way, BACK to the subject.

WELL DONE, well deserved and a pleasure to see a 'proper' heroine rather than someone the media dub 'hero' for playing sport or singing.

topgas
27th Nov 2009, 15:25
Stature isn't measured in inches when you read what she has done. I only hope I could do half of her achievement in the same situation. Let's not spoil it by getting all pedantic. I hope she has had a fantastic day at the Palace with her family

BEagle
27th Nov 2009, 15:25
PRuNe Pop's use of inverted commas made it clear to me that he was making an ironic comment.

Small in stature, huge in bravery.

A thoroughly deserved award indeed!

Cows getting bigger
27th Nov 2009, 15:42
I take my hat off to the medics. I've lost count of how many times I meandered into the SMC to have my 'annual' carried out by some youth (RN, Army and RAF) who had been in the military since the previous Monday lunchtime. The same kids are doing stirling work in the Gulf, often dealing with horrific injuries in a very trying environment. We often forget their contribution, choosing to focus on the warriors.

Well done young lady (after all, that is what you are). :D:D:D:D:D

Mr C Hinecap
27th Nov 2009, 16:29
psychotherapist

made up job title if ever there was one. If we're going to get all 'Johnny Two Sheds' with our spouses, mine has served enlisted and commissioned in two separate Services and would take direct umbrage with such a comment.

If it was a 5'2" tall 21 year old infanteer getting the MC, I really doubt whether anyone would have said little boy, inverted commas or not.

Raven30
27th Nov 2009, 19:13
Such a refreshing change to see a positive story from Afghanistan in the news. She was obviously proud as punch and quite rightly so - as were her parents.
Well done Kate!

glad rag
27th Nov 2009, 19:23
She dressed L/Cpl John List's neck wound and kept him from losing blood while bullets and rockets flew overhead in Marjah district in Helmand.
Earlier this month, L/Cpl List said no words could describe what Ms Nesbitt had done, but without her action he would not have lived.

However I didn't realise Ms was a Naval Rank, what's the score with that?

Usual BBC feminist B****?? or did it come from the office of the deputy Prime Minister???

Chugalug2
27th Nov 2009, 20:44
Her rank is evidently "Able Seaman Class 1". "Able" hardly begins to measure the cool sense of duty and sheer courage that Kate Nesbitt displayed. Watching her receive her award I wasn't struck so much by her stature or lack of it but simply by the air of modesty she managed to radiate in standing to attention in front of HRH the Prince of Wales. Well done Kate, you've done us all proud!
Glad Rag:
However I didn't realise Ms was a Naval Rank.......Usual BBC feminist B****??
Right, You're next to be marched in before Mr Hinecap. Off Caps!

glad rag
27th Nov 2009, 20:55
This is getting very confusing.
Is Mr Hinecap not what it seems ? ie an undercover DPM??
Is Ms a Naval Rank or not???
Off Caps?? LiKeThIs?
Whatever happened to KISS?
Random.

Anyway we divert.

To quote Beags

Small in stature, huge in bravery :ok:

Surrey Towers
27th Nov 2009, 21:43
What a heart the girl must have. Brave as a lion - and to be the first MC in the RN is something she can be proud of for the rest of her life. I'm sure the Navy are.

cargosales
27th Nov 2009, 21:52
I'll admit to being somewhat unimpressed with the phrasing of the OP but knowing PPRuNe Pop I'm certain he meant nothing untoward with his way of wording things.

Let's get this thread back on track though and show massive respect for Able Seaman Kate Nesbitt MC :D

I don't think I could have shown half the courage she did, let alone do half the stuff she did in order to save the life of L/Cpl John List. Nice one Kate, and your MC is utterly deserved !

CS

E-Spy
27th Nov 2009, 23:39
"I just did what I'm sure everyone else would have done for me."

And thats the reason why we all do it, I hope!
Great statement, I'm sure you'll all agree.

papajuliet
28th Nov 2009, 10:26
Small in physical stature but a giant in moral stature.

Roger Sofarover
28th Nov 2009, 11:53
Oh for Gods Sake!

PPRuNe Pop is a gent, why anybody should take umbridge with his post is beyond me. EVERYBODY on this forum is 'young' and a mere 'pup' compared to our anciently old PPRuNe Pop. You PC tossers are the reason that this country is going down the tube soooo quickly. You make me so angry the lot of you:mad:
Get a life, you in particular C Hinecap for Christs sake.

Tankertrashnav
28th Nov 2009, 12:08
Some good stuff about Kate and others on this thread over on JB which I started when the award was announced:

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/388467-gallantry-awards-afghanistan.html

Just a pedantic point Surrey - she's not the first MC in the navy, there were quite a few in WW1 & WW2 when it was purely an officers' award, but she is quite definitely the first female naval recipient and only the second woman in all 3 services.

Great citation and a well-deserved decoration - well done!

L Peacock
28th Nov 2009, 14:19
The bickering on this thread is a perfect example of what pprune military has become. Utterly pathetic. And now I've contibuted to it. :(

PPRuNe Pop
28th Nov 2009, 16:15
We would very much like to see this thread back on topic please.

Hammer Head Too
28th Nov 2009, 16:39
Couldn't agree more PP !!

These brave people deserve our respect and Kate is a fine example of calmness under fire. She did her job and saved a life. She should feel proud for the rest of her life :D

HH2

Ace Brave
28th Nov 2009, 18:01
I also agree wholeheartedly PPRuNe Pop.

Petty-minded nit-picking is NOT what you started this thread for!

Well done Kate, you did something that you should be proud of.

blimey
28th Nov 2009, 20:53
'Little girl' with very big balls. Bloody well done!

wiccan
28th Nov 2009, 20:55
I "might" be out of touch.....but I thought that it was a Medal for o/rs and a Cross for ossifers.:confused: Or have the rule changed?
bb

barnstormer1968
28th Nov 2009, 20:56
I watched the clip of her interview, and a few things occurred to me;
Yes , she is little.
Secondly, (looking through my now civilian eyes) she is a marvellous example, of how 'everyday' young people can join the military, and somehow become much more mature, much more confident, and be able to achieve almost superhuman feats (in comparison to their civilian friends). And, to able to do all this, and still be very modest and humble.

What a stark contrast to the huge fanfair needed for totally mundane feats accomplished (?) daily by TV 'celebrities'

Thud_and_Blunder
28th Nov 2009, 22:28
wiccan:

Most definitely out of touch; Defence Internet | Fact Sheets | Guide to Honours (http://www.operations.mod.uk/honours/honours.htm) says it all changed in 1993, so you're only 16 years out of step, and

I don't think the Royal Navy have ORs, they have ratings

Tankertrashnav
28th Nov 2009, 22:31
I "might" be out of touch.....

Just a little, Wiccan! The rules changed in 1993, as a result of John Major's inititatives to update the honours system. At that time the Distinguished Service Medal (Navy), Distinguished Conduct Medal and Military Medal (Army) and the Distinguished Flying Medal and Air Force Medal (RAF) ceased to be awarded and from then on all ranks were entitled to receive the equivalent crosses, which hitherto had only been given to officers and warrant officers. At the same time a new "second level" award, The Conspicuous Gallantry Cross was created. This is also for all ranks, and rates just below the Victoria Cross and George Cross which continue to be all ranks awards, as has always been the case.

Late amendment - Sorry T & B, I was writing this as you were posting. May as well leave it here now it's on!

Kitbag
29th Nov 2009, 21:42
Not so much proud as utterly humbled by this persons selfless action. I suspect however that similar deeds are perpetrated everyday by the medical teams on the front line.

Total respect to them all

maxburner
30th Nov 2009, 17:14
This lady was truly heroic. She is a credit to her service.

What a pity that certain people look for and hence find offence in a harmless post. Get a life.