PDA

View Full Version : Same question...different answers

annita
26th Nov 2009, 23:09
Hi all.

Recently I have noticed that a quite popular feedback bank has the same questions with different answers (question about Kruger flaps).
How would you deal with it in an exam?

I also have seen questions that they indicate that the answer they give it is actually the wrong answer but that is what CAA wants (question about the number of poles in a generator).

Thank you.

erki
27th Nov 2009, 09:35
I assume you have the same problem understanding these questions as me; (from bristol QB)

1) On an airplane, the Krueger flapps are;
A) leading edge flap close to the wing root
B) Trailing edge flap close to the wing root
C) leading edge flaps close to the wing tip
D) trailing edge flaps close to the wing tip
Answer:A)

2) On an aircraft, the Krueger flap is a;
a) leading edge flap
b) leading edge flap close to the wing root
c) leading edge flaps close to the wing tip
d) trailing edge flap
Answer:A)

:ugh:

Alex Whittingham
27th Nov 2009, 11:52
I'll find out what's going on. I'd say a leading edge flap close to the wing root.

McBruce
27th Nov 2009, 11:57
Databases contain errors so the best way is to understand the principle of the krugers then you can use your own knowledge to work out the best answer. A big requirement in some of the ATPL questions I'm afraid.

Mostly on older boeing types, you had kruger flaps inboard on the leading edge to basically deflect more airflow over the wing surface to increase lift and stall the root first on swept wing aircraft. Flaps decrease the stall angle, slaps increase it. So aircraft that have a combination of Kruger LE flaps inboard and slats outboard, is all fancy work of a swept wing aircraft to ensure the root stalls first (while increasing lift/reducing the stall speed of course!).

I would say the most correct answer is the one that mentions inboard LE flaps.

annita
27th Nov 2009, 12:21
I agree with all you have said above and that is how I see Kruger flaps to be inboard leading edge but I hope Alex clears this out.
Up to now the systems feedback has quite a few ones like the one I mentioned above.

Keith.Williams.
27th Nov 2009, 12:28
The conflict that is illustrated in this thread is not new....in fact it is very old, but probably has not yet been resolved by the authorities.

Kruger Flaps have in the past appeared in both the POF and AGK Systems exams. In at least one case the answer marked as being correct was "Leading edge flaps" although the same question included the option "Leading edge flaps close to the wing roots".

Although the CAA do not like questions being appealled, candidates must appeal in cases where a question has two correct answers. Even if publicly available databases have what was once the correct answer, there is no way of knowing that the views of the authorities have not changed.

The CAA have recently withdrawn the facility whereby FTOs could participate in the appeals process. They claimed that this was due to pressure of work but it probably had more to do with a wish to make it harder for FTOs to gain knowledge about changes to questions.

If a question has two correct answers a candidate who simply selects one of them has a 50% chance of getting the mark. But if he/she also appeals the question then the probability of getting the mark is much greater (though still sadly not 100%).

Alex Whittingham
27th Nov 2009, 13:12
Keith is correct. The only current CQB question (that's CQB 13 or 14) of this type is 12101 in our database which is:

Q 12101. A Krueger flap is normally located at the:

(A) leading edge.
(B) trailing edge.
(C) trailing edge close to the wing root.
(D) trailing edge close to the wing tip

The two quoted are probably old versions of this question. I've removed Q3152 because it has two correct answers and is unlikely to still be in use (even by the UK CAA) but I've left Q5364 in the database:

Q 5364. On an airplane, the Krueger flaps are;

(A) leading edge flap close to the wing root
(B) Trailing edge flap close to the wing root
(C) leading edge flaps close to the wing tip
(D) trailing edge flaps close to the wing tip

because, although most states will have replaced it with the current version, it only has one correct answer. In both cases answer (A) is correct. If anyone sees the dodgy third question in an exam:

Q 3152. On an aircraft, the Krueger flap is a;

(A) leading edge flap
(B) leading edge flap close to the wing root
(C) leading edge flaps close to the wing tip
(D) trailing edge flap

please let either me or Keith and also your FTO know as soon as possible and, if you have an Aviation Authority that has an appeal system, appeal it.