PDA

View Full Version : U.k Caa/jar Atpl

flexi_time
26th Nov 2009, 22:46
Hi there,

I am converting from an FAA ATP with B747-400 type rating to a JAA ATPL with a B747-400 rating.

I have passed the required 14 written exams, the medical, the RT test and the LST in 400 sim in Burgess Hill with a TRE and a CAA inspector observing.

The process was extremley expensive but was Happy to be done finaly.
The CAA is now refusing to issue my licence.
My FAA 400 type rating has a restriction saying " B744 circle to land VMC only"
The reason for this restriction is because we don't test for circling bellow VFR mins at my company, we don't do low circling in a 747-400

I had a full LST in the U.K but they did not have me do a circle.
I paid 900 pounds an hours for six hours of Simulator to get this test done.
The CAA inspector saw my licence beforehand, the TRE as well.
Now after more than $15000 I can't get the licence.

I heard that there is something called an appeals committee, does anybody know how to get in touch with them?
Is it worth hiring a U.K aviation lawyer?
Any suggestions anybody?

papang
28th Nov 2009, 16:23
Hi,

I won't be able to give you any suggestions about your post sorry for that, actually I am looking for any advice ! I am doing the same "expensive" process, converting from a Transport Canada ATPL to a JAA ATPL with an ATR72 type rating.

I am about to do the LST next week, I would appreciate any advice.
What will the CAA observer do exactly ?. who is gonna ask questions TRE or observer ? Is the observer acting during the sim or just observing and saying pass or fail at the end of the session ?
I would appreciate any advice,
thank you for that, and all the best with the Civil aviation services :ugh:

Tinstaafl
29th Nov 2009, 03:46
You're butting your head against fundamental differences in philosophy between the licencing systems. Like a few of my friends I have ATPLs from several countries (in my case Australia, USA & UK). Balancing the different requirements between the systems can be a pain.

The JAR & UK system(s) don't have an 'instrument rating except for circling approaches' system. It's a fundamental part of the JAR instrument rating to be able to complete a circling approach. Your FAA licence clearly shows you haven't passed that equivalent component and, from your post, you haven't demonstrated it to a JAR examiner.

Also, unlike the FAA, an examiner isn't necessarily responsible for ascertaining whether or not you have met all the prerequisites for the issue of a licence and then issuing a temporary until the authority catches up. Pretty much they are tasked with conducting a flight test and only the flight test. Their grading of whatever test you did then goes to the regulatory authority and, along with all the other supporting paperwork, is then judged against the requirements for a licence issue and action taken accordingly. You may have flown the test perfectly but if a 't' isn't crossed, or 'i' dotted somewhere else, then the decision is 'no'. Mind you, the FAA can be equally bloody minded if you haven't met one of their requirements so it swings both ways.

Having said that, I would have expected a circling approach to be included in your JAA flight test as a matter of course.