PDA

View Full Version : So, if I rob a bank, will they give me a job in finance?

Loose rivets
26th Nov 2009, 15:27
Seems odd. I know he's proved his technical abilities, but he's also proved that he can be a pain in the butt. I wouldn't employ him.

BBC News - iPhone worm creator lands software job (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8380265.stm)

green granite
26th Nov 2009, 16:00
Poachers and gamekeepers springs to mind.

mad_jock
26th Nov 2009, 16:18
Standard practise.

Last IT job I had there was a department of 30 odd hackers whose sole job was to try and hack all our networks and products. They mostly managed as well. Some had been caught and done time others hadn't.

They were some of the highest payed techies in the building.

And I think you will find that some highly successful bank robbers after doing the time are now security guru's and well payed ones at that.

Unfortunately for most users Microsoft doesn't pay mega bucks if they can shag the operating system due incompetence in under one day after install.

bnt
26th Nov 2009, 18:22
Weird. That worm took little effort to make, considering that "jailbreaking" an iPhone basically exposes a front door in to it. Every iPhone and iPod Touch has a well-known default root password, but there's nowhere you can use it, until it gets jailbroken and you get a remote terminal option (SSH). I tried this on my iPod Touch a few weeks ago, and as soon as I read about the default root password, I changed it.

Keef
26th Nov 2009, 19:17
When I worked in the Motor Industry, we hired a well-known car thief to test security. He was impressive!

His only question was "can I damage it?" He reckoned ten seconds average to enter with damage, a minute or so with no damage.

I watched him with one the engineers reckoned was "unbreakable". He took a lilttle over two minutes and told them "Very good! I'd probably leave this one alone and go for something else." But he still cracked it.