PDA

View Full Version : Just came out of RNAV exam

MetalGear
25th Nov 2009, 16:14
Don't mean to dwell on it but I figure this is the place to clear this up.

You're on a bearing of 270M from a VOR, heading 180M. What heading should you select on the OBS to centralise the left/right needle?

a)360
b)270
c)090
d)180

As far as I can tell both b & c are correct. Perhaps they omitted to say 'with a to indication' or 'from indication'.

Thanks for your input.

bucket_and_spade
25th Nov 2009, 16:47
I agree. That's what would do it...in real life!

OneIn60rule
25th Nov 2009, 16:50
The CAA didn't look at the paper before letting people do the paper.

In my view it should be either 270 or 090.

If they are aiming for a position fix then 270 is correct. If one assumes you'd want to track away from it, 270 FR would be right.

You are heading away on 180. Yes fair play it's not towards the west but ti's away.

If I were you I'd report that question as it has two legit answers.

MetalGear
25th Nov 2009, 16:54
Thanks for the replies. I did bring it to the attention of the examiner this evening so hopefully they will rectify it asap.

M

ab33t
25th Nov 2009, 17:41
It does state 270 from

Alex Whittingham
25th Nov 2009, 20:33
Yes, b and c are both correct. This question is very old and should have been removed from the database, did you take your exam in Dublin?

MetalGear
25th Nov 2009, 21:48
I did indeed. Final ATPL exam tomorrow. AGK, save the best for last.
I felt I did more than enough to pass RNAV, it's nice to know that perhaps for others that question might be the difference between a pass and a fff..., sorry I've taken that word from my vocabulary. Assuming of course they give you the mark for the question, which makes sense to me.

Anyway, here's to a relaxing christmas, and for the americans reading, happy thanksgiving. I'll give thanks after coming through 2 years of ups and downs while i've been doing my ATPL's and coming out the other side with my sanity still in tact.
Good night,

M

ReverseFlight
26th Nov 2009, 03:55
CASA in Oz often sets exams where the answer is in the question itself - wordplay with the English language, you may say. ab33t is therefore correct.

BillieBob
26th Nov 2009, 09:04
It does state 270 fromHardly relevant - it is not possible to be on a bearing 'to' anything. As Alex suggests, the question is so badly worded as to be invalid and should never have been set - but then that's the IAA for you.

Alex Whittingham
26th Nov 2009, 09:22
For the record the 'correct' answer from the database is 090°, for no obvious reason.

This is one of many questions that have been successfully appealed by the UK schools over the last ten years. Unfortunately either the UK CAA did not tell the JAA about many of the the duff questions or the JAA took no notice, because they're still there.

OneIn60rule
26th Nov 2009, 20:08
That's just typical!