PDA

View Full Version : Exam Feedback ppl

maxdrypower
25th Nov 2009, 14:21
Guys and gals
I recently had a student who first failed then passed one of his ppl exams. He was told by the CFI he was not allowed to get any feedback from either exam .
I seem to remember something like this from when I took mine .
Does any know where the rules regarding this are actually written down so we can address the issue one way or the other, If its in lasors I cant find it but then maybe wood for the trees and all that .
ta

BEagle
25th Nov 2009, 19:22
Standards Document 11, Version 04:

5.2 Action following the Examination Sitting

5.2.3 Following marking of the paper and if the candidate achieves a pass, the examiner should discuss with him/her any questions that have been incorrectly answeres. However, if a candidate fails, the examiner may indicate areas where wekaness has been indicated, but should not discuss answers to specific questions.

Standards Document 11, Version 05:

4.3 Action following a PASS

4.3.1 The examiner should indicate areas where weakness has been found, but should not discuss answers to specific questions.

The change between V04 and V05 was discussed with no-one and I strongly suspect that it was yet another Belgrano cock-up to which they will not admit.

However, as we all know, 'should' is only a recommendation, not a mandatory requirement.... So most decent Examiners, who realise that they have a duty of care to ensure that applicants' incorrect answers are properly debriefed, ignore the stupidity of V05 and continue to ensure that successful applicants are told where they went wrong.

Poorly worded guidance, I entirely agree. But that's what happens when they pay peanuts.

DFC
25th Nov 2009, 20:28
Agree with BEagle.

It is only a recomendation that answers to specific questions should not be discussed.

Furthermore it is possible to comply fully with that recomendation by discussing the subject matter that has been highlighted on the notice of failure using details other than those used in the specific question(s).

If the subject has been passed then there is no reason for not doing the same with the questions that were the reason for not obtaining 100% in the examination.

There are plenty of ways to debrief candidates without having to use specific details from the examination paper.

maxdrypower
25th Nov 2009, 22:34
cheers guys appreciate it,
MDP

Lu0724
25th Nov 2009, 23:22
I took my written recently.. and I remember that at the door of the examination room there was a note that starting (If my memory is not wrong ) sometime in december students were going to be able to check their wrong answers in the written exams. that's all I know so far. I will try to find out more about the subject. FAA of course. :)