PDA

View Full Version : HDD light constantly on.

Sprogget
25th Nov 2009, 13:47
Two Maxtor drives, win 7. Came in this morning to see the pc had dropped the wireless connection & I had a devil of a time getting it back on. In addition, windows dropped in some updates today, that I have subsequently removed.

I have run Seatools, Hijack this & am now running an avast thorough scan. PC runs at about normal speed & seems ok, but the HDD light won't extinguish at all. Neither task manager nor event viewer show anything particularly untoward in terms of memory usage, process hogging or system errors. Any ideas?

Loose rivets
25th Nov 2009, 14:32
You might confirm what's going on with one of the little progams that were recommended to me on this forum.

mixture's

HddLed Indicator - Hard disk drive activity software led indicator with separate read and write operations in real-time. (http://www.hddled.com/)

Holding the cursor over the LED will show the details. It's odd, but one load of the soft gave me which drive by number ie 0 or 1 pertaining to the physical drive more than the partitions. The other one give all the partitions.

and Bushfiver's one, on my thread Seeing a HD run...a page back.

Sprogget
25th Nov 2009, 14:45
It looks like case closed - I picked up a Blackberry last week & installed the software to backup the phone. Now within that package & unannounced to boot is Macrovision software updater, a wholly unnecessary piece of kit.

Looking in Msconfig shows Isuspm.exe which is the update scheduler. I've stopped this from running at startup & everything is back to normal. Strange that it didn't appear in resource monitor as a resource hog & it also has no uninstaller, not does it appear in the list of installed programs.

There's some removing to be done.

BOAC
25th Nov 2009, 15:30
Sprog - do Google the programme! There are checks to do to see if it is 'genuine' and not an infected file, and the recommendation is NOT to uninstall it, but to run it as and when needed. It is part of the InstallShield update service.

Sprogget
25th Nov 2009, 15:45
Ta BOAC, I did indeed do that before acting, but a kind thoght nonetheless. It comes up like a rash on Google as a pain in the proverbial & describes my experience exactly. It's gone now & the system is humming.

Personally, it's characteristics look like junkware, act like junkware, so I've treated it like junkware.

BOAC
25th Nov 2009, 16:01
One more caution. Bushfiva's HDI.exe file is producing a (false?) positive in Spybot. Clean on other progs.