PDA

View Full Version : Renting aircraft in Turkey

champair79
25th Nov 2009, 07:28
Hi guys,

Me and a friend are currently doing a work placement in Turkey in Izmir. Just before we came, we both obtained our PPL from the CAA and we both want to do some flying while we're out in Turkey.

Does anyone know any places where we can rent out an aircraft to do a bit of flying or if it's even possible. I've already asked the "Turk Hava Kurumu" flying school as they sometimes base aircraft in Efes - but they said we could only fly as a passenger. I didn't really understand the problem but anyway, the main issue was that we couldn't rent a plane from them.

I look forward to your replies.

Regards,

Champ :)

IO540
25th Nov 2009, 07:59
Turkey is extremely tight, flying wise. I flew there this year but the Turkish end was all organised by the Istanbul Aeroclub so I had all the PPR stuff sorted.

My vague recollection of others' trips there is that foreigners can fly only between international (Customs) airports (even when flying internally), and mandatory flight plans, and PPR for each flight. You can also expect PPR at the airports, as is standard in the 3rd world.

Even Greece is going to be easier :) Been down there a few times too.

champair79
29th Nov 2009, 13:01
Thanks for the reply IO540. I've made a few more enquiries but people just look at you with a blank face. I don't think recreational flying is very big round here.

If Istanbul is the only option, then I guess I might have to make a special trip up there on one of the days to go flying. Will be nice to go round the city as well. I haven't been for 10 years and that was when I was a boy.

Regards,

Champ :ok: