PDA

View Full Version : Any Dc6b Crew Out There !!

CONFOR
24th Nov 2009, 15:17
Try To Locate Dc6b Crew - Think There's Not Many Of Us Left In This World Flying This Old Lady - Please Contact Me !!! - So That We Can Talk About The Oil/fuel And Smoke !!!!

SincoTC
24th Nov 2009, 17:07
I can't help with the contacts you ask for, but in the meantime you may find some interest in this thread from Tech Log last March!

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/364553-radial-piston-engine-oil-leaks-dc-4-thru-dc-7-constellations.html

411A
25th Nov 2009, 02:44
Used to fly a DC-6B extensively, long ago.
What would you like to know, specifically?

PS:
The Douglas DC-6B was the 4-engine piston airliner with the lowest operating cost (per seat/mile) of any other, bar none.
My Dad was also the Engineering Project Manager at Douglas, at the time of its development.
DC-7, as well.

twochai
25th Nov 2009, 12:34
The Douglas DC-6B was the 4-engine piston airliner with the lowest operating cost (per seat/mile) of any other, bar none.

Only the Curtiss C-46 could beat the -6B's ton/mile costs and then only on short haul, of course.

CONFOR
25th Nov 2009, 14:34
Hi,thanks for replying - no I'm just looking if there's still DC6B crew operating in the world - I've made contact with the guys in the UK - they busy getting their DC6B up and flying again - we planning to fly to Australia in 2011 - so we busy working on the route now - Regards -

Big Pistons Forever
25th Nov 2009, 14:53
CONAIR Aviation in Abbotsford BC Canada still runs two DC6B configured for firebombing. I did 2 wonderfull years on the airplane in the 1990's and still consider it the highlight of my flying career

CONFOR
26th Nov 2009, 18:00
Hi Big-Piston..... - man its good too hear there's still some of us left out there - agree 100 % with you - and the guys who never sit down in that office and flew a 1000 nm + leg will never understand what we are talking about - van send you some nice photies of the "lady" - take care:ok:

Alan Biles
27th Nov 2009, 14:22
First 'big' airliner I ever flew in. Aviaco DC6B from Gatwick to Palma. 23 July 1963.

CONFOR
27th Nov 2009, 16:06
Hi Allan - yes I just love the old lady - she was the last off the line - if I'm not wrong 11 Nov 1958

100BMEP
28th Nov 2009, 19:26
Hi Allen,
I have seen way too many sunrises from the DC-6 back in another life time. It seems like yesterday
!:8
TACA DC-6 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28058889@N06/4141770142/)

CONFOR
30th Nov 2009, 10:11
Hi, yes yes she's just so beutifull to fly - van do that all day long - only "da" fuel -!!!!:ok: Namibia Commercial Aviation (http://www.nca.com.na)

fesmokie
4th Dec 2009, 14:21
I was so blessed to have had the opportunity to have been a crewmember (PFE) on the 6 as my first flying job. From Florida south, operating out of YIP and in Alaska haulin Fish. What memories!!!!

Conc
5th Dec 2009, 08:13
Had 7 years flying the two DC-6s at Air Atlantique and on the list of crew for G-APSA if she returns to the air next year. Great machine and great memories!

DC-ATE
5th Dec 2009, 16:35
OK.....guess I'll add my 2 cents worth. I flew the DC-6 ['Straight'], DC-6A, DC-6B, and DC-7 in all seats. Got my first Rating in the DC-6/7. I won't tell you how long ago that was though !! Flew Connies too, and have to confess, I liked the Lockheed better.

MetoPower
5th Dec 2009, 17:02
Flew the 6b + first left seat = very found memories.

MP

WHBM
8th Dec 2009, 12:57
Douglas DC-6B .....My Dad was also the Engineering Project Manager at Douglas, at the time of its development.
DC-7, as well.
Was there ever any regret in hndsight about moving from the more reliable/efficient PW on the DC6 to the clunker Wrights on the DC7 ? It wasn't as if they didn't know what they were in for - the Wright R-3350s on the B29 in WW2 were apparently terrible for reliability in the Pacific.

CONFOR
8th Dec 2009, 13:30
Yes I'll See Now When I'll Make It To The Left Seat - The Old Lady Is Not Flying Alot - If The Aussie Trip Comes Off I'll Be In The Right Place At The Right Time -now I'm Just Blessed To Fly Her Now And Then - How Do You Unload A Pic !!!!

fesmokie
10th Dec 2009, 14:43
I was so blessed to have had the opportunity to have been a crewmember (PFE) on the 6 as my first flying job. From Florida south, operating out of YIP and in Alaska haulin Fish. What memories!!!!

Forgot to mention we flew the Swing Tail also. The first flight for me was a little scary as I wasn't absolutly convinced the locking mechanism for the tail was fool proof. Had a few times when a light came on in flight(for the tail)and scared the crap out of me. lol :eek:

Tonka Toy
23rd Dec 2009, 09:07
Can't remember exactly but I think one of the atlantique crews had an exciting night once over the north sea back at the beginning of the decade!- perhaps CONC can elaborate!