PDA

View Full Version : Private hire in NZ?

Squeegee Longtail
24th Nov 2009, 11:59
Visiting NZ soon. Any recommendations for private hire of 4-6 seat single in NZ for 2 weeks in December?

euy
24th Nov 2009, 23:21
Which part of N.Z are you planning to fly around?If the south Island then The International Aviation Academy in Christchurch is a good start.They have plenty of planes and are pretty friendly.

Let me know what you are planning and i will try and help.

Aerozepplin
25th Nov 2009, 04:49
Four seater 172s or PA-28s are everywhere, six is a bit harder to come by. A couple 206s around, but costly, same with a twin. Don't know of any Cherokee 6s or the avaliable for hire.

Squeegee Longtail
25th Nov 2009, 13:30
Thanks so far!

I will be flying pretty much everywhere, so whether I rent in the north and fly south, or vice versa doesn't really matter. I will be flying into Auckland, so I guess that's a good start, but I can also fly down South to start my travels if necessary.

So far I have lots of flying schools with little availability (and/or cr@p aircraft).
Cost not as important as availability and decent machine.

Any contacts gratefully received.

Cougar
25th Nov 2009, 20:09
Do you have an NZ licence/NZ BFR/NZ medical? Seems you need these before you can operate as PIC.

Aus don't cross over.

M14_P
25th Nov 2009, 23:29
Hey there, I know where you can get a really tidy 172N from (180hp with stol kit) for $160/hr. PM for details.

trotsky8362
1st Dec 2009, 08:30
I have the same query. Am flying into Christchurch on the 17th of Dec and am looking to hire an aircraft for perhaps a couple of weeks. I would prefer six seats but cost is a factor so may just have to settle for four seats instead. In my dreams someone would let me use their C180/185 but realistically I know the chances of that happening are slim to nothing. I have a NZ CPL/BFR/Med, as I did an instrument rating at the Cant. Aero Club earlier in the year, 750hrs total, half of which has been in the last 20 months flying a 280hp C182 on para ops. Only about 10hrs tailwheel. Any good leads would be gratefully excepted, and if a good aircraft is in the North Island then I'm willing to fly up to get it. Thanks very much.

Aerozepplin
1st Dec 2009, 08:48
Do next door to CAC let you hire their 180? I know you can do a 206 rating there, but alas I imagine they wouldn't let you out of their sights with either.

trotsky8362
1st Dec 2009, 09:03
Canterbury Aviation. I don't think they would let me knick off with one of their aircraft they use for their business, but I don't suppose it would hurt to make an enquiry. I considered doing a rating in the 180 when I was there but money was starting to become an issue by that stage. Maybe I'll just go back to mining and buy my own 180.

Corkey McFuz
1st Dec 2009, 18:42
Do next door to CAC let you hire their 180?
Hahahahaha No. I doub't it.

I know you can do a 206 rating there, but alas I imagine they wouldn't let you out of their sights with either.

Do they do 206 ratings there ? I didn't think there were any instructors there anymore.
And don't count on the 206 being hired out either. They're working machines, not rental ones. :ok:

May be able to borrow the 172 though ? ?
Worth a look into I guess...

Aerozepplin
2nd Dec 2009, 04:49
The 206 thing is just hear say. I remember someone having a cry about how much it cost until someone else pointed out that for that much yes, you could hire a P68, or you could hire something useful like a 206.

I don't recall seeing the 180 being overly busy, but it was winter and such.

Such a hot hot machine though. Love them.