PDA

View Full Version : Australian Immigration

Wannabe Flyer
24th Nov 2009, 09:03
Flying From Hong Kong to Melbourne on CX. The aircraft makes a stop at Adelaide before carrying onto Melbourne. Is Aussie immigration similar to the US where one has to deplane and clear immigration at first point of call, or will clear immigration at melbourne.

bsmasher
24th Nov 2009, 19:50
I think it will be customs at ML only - I don't know the way Adelaide works but here in Sydney, International transfers take place without having to clear customs, so there is no requirement to enter the country on first landing

Remers
26th Nov 2009, 12:05
If you give us the flight details it would be easier to tell. I believe that you will have to clear customs and immigration in MEL as this is your first port of entry and not an international transfer.

Wannabe Flyer
27th Nov 2009, 04:39
CX 105 outbound from HKG to MEL. Route is HKG --- ADL --- MEL No change of aircraft at ADL listed just a 2 hour or so layover.

fallen
27th Nov 2009, 08:37
I assume you'll need to deplane and go through security though.

wiggy
27th Nov 2009, 09:40
Well I'd assume differently because unless Aussie rules have changed in the last 10 years or so I reckon you'll stay onboard.

Certainly when BA operated a service which in part routed BKK- MEL-ADL the ADL pax stayed onboard in Melbourne, only clearing immigration and customs on arrival at ADL.

OBie101
2nd Dec 2009, 08:41
Current transit pax procedure in Oz is now deplane, pass security and then return to boarding gate or Class Lounge if available/entitled, then reboard for final leg, with Customs/Immigration and Quarantine at destination international terminal. This procedure, like having plastic knives on meal-sets is all part of the [fairly] recently-imposed security requirements. This has been the policy since 2005 that I'm aware of, as a regular flier to/from the rest of the world.

wiggy
2nd Dec 2009, 13:09
Oh boy, thanks Obie, nothing ever gets simplier does it?

fallen
2nd Dec 2009, 20:18
Quarantine at destination international terminal.
If transiting through WA you will also have some contact with Quarantine.

beamender99
2nd Dec 2009, 21:59
My daughters experience of an Aussie welcome.
LHR - SIN (where she bought some favorite drink for her Aussie host.)
She was booked SIN CNS but was deplaned at DRW.
On reboarding the same aircraft the security check confiscated the ex SIN duty free.

So beware of buying anything en route that will fail at the security checks.

p.s. On a totally different route the X-Ray guy detected a knife in my carry on, well done to the guy, so I had to show it.
I said " It is not a dangerous item" reply "Knives are not allowed"
"BUT it is a butter knife" which has a fat round end to its blade.
Fortunately the supervisor over ruled and said " Not dangerous so it is OK"

FN-GM
2nd Dec 2009, 22:14
I fly to Aussie a few times a year with Singapore. When going to Aussie from Singapore and Singapore from Aussie we have to use plastic cutlery on the flight. Im heavy handed so i tend to break them.

Wannabe Flyer
14th Dec 2009, 10:39
OK

Did the flight!

Arrival into ADL they ask all to de board. Off the aircraft there is a line for transit passengers. We were given a fresh boarding card and a transit pass (hey we were upgraded to Business on this sector). Had to go thru security in ADL again

We had to wait for 90 mins in the transit lounge and then were boarded onto the flight from ADL to MEL where we cleared customs, immigration etc.

On the return we boarded at ADL and stayed on the plane at MEL for about an Hour (had the option to de board and go thru security but chose not to).

On a different note. The new seats on Cathay SUCK! Definately need a chiropractor post this flight

reynoldsno1
14th Dec 2009, 19:38
On reboarding the same aircraft the security check confiscated the ex SIN duty free.

So beware of buying anything en route that will fail at the security checks.

Similar thing happened to me last Christmas - asked the security guy what would happen to it. "It will be destroyed" - yeah, right, in your digestive system .....

NickN80
17th Dec 2009, 03:26
According to new laws to be introduced next year, they will no longer confiscate Duty Free items like that, and the government will allow metal cutlery back on all flights.

About time common sense prevailed.

Wannabe Flyer
17th Dec 2009, 04:32
Except for the Knife all other cutlery on CX was metal.

Lost 3 bottles of good wine, maybe next time around I won't

Bravohotel
30th Dec 2009, 08:12
Sure hope the rules change regarding duty free grog.....I transit BNE every month and the number of people who have had there duty free booze taken off them...you could have opened a bottle store....

angels
30th Dec 2009, 08:44
you could have opened a bottle store

Bravo - someone has!!

Tell the doorman at a certain international hotel in Bandar that you want 'a cup of tea' somewhere and he will organise a cab for you to get there.....:O

BTW - if he doesn't like the look of you, you will, indeed, end up with a cup of tea. :}