PDA

View Full Version : Stack Overflow 1715 - Possible to ignor?

planecrazy.eu
24th Nov 2009, 08:32
Hi, titles says it all...

I keep getting Stack Overflow 1715 error when using IE8 on a specific intranet site that i use for work.

I have tried in FF3.5, and no error =) but the designer didnt make it FF friendly, and thus using IE8 i get nice layout and an error, using FF i get poor and i cases unusable layout but no error.

Was wondering if anyone knows how i can ignor or stop this error coming up and the designer is showing no signs of fixing this, so a way to stop it on client side would be good... i know it wont stop the error in the first place, i just dont want to be informed about it =)

Thanks

seacue
24th Nov 2009, 09:34
The IT support group where I (used to) work (but still keep an oar in) warns against IE8. They say that some usual internet services don't work properly with IE8.

They never approved use of VISTA on their network. They are now exercising widely-used applications on W7 prior to approving its use. Until such approval, they install XP on all new machines purchased through the central ordering system. They claim that they will convert these machines to W7 once they approve of its use. I wonder whether they know of some magic way of doing the XP->W7 migration.

green granite
24th Nov 2009, 09:48
Try using the IEtab in FF (download it as an add on) I find it cures a lot of site problems that occur with FF but doesn't have some of the disadvantages of IE8.

Simonta
24th Nov 2009, 22:12
Planecrazy. I would let the folks who look after the website know about the problem.

Stack overflows in IE are often caused by errors in scripts, especially something called "infinite loops" or in recursive procedures.

If you, or someone you know, is tech savvy, then turn off scripts, including Java, and see if the problem is still there.

I'm not sure, but 1715 may refer to the offending line of code in the script.

Hope this helps

Cheers

mad_jock
25th Nov 2009, 08:11
Just had a quick google for you and it turns out it is a known problem with no fix as yet. Its a problem to do with a javascript external library called prototype with IE8.

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Nov 2009, 08:15
Tell the owners of the software to fix it.

If the actual bug is in a third party Javascript library they've got the source code so they can fix it themselves (ha ha) or replace it with something that works.

Most of the third party Javascript libraries are to some degree or other complete crap - a quick look at the code will almost always show that it's hacked together by amateurs, not designed by professional software engineers. I don't believe that Prototype is necessarily excluded from this.

mad_jock
25th Nov 2009, 08:58
There was also a heap of stuff about IE8 being compromised by timeout calls. So if your wondering why a site suddenly dies and takes the browser with it.......

I think the old admins rule of never install any piece of Microsoft software unless its on odd service pack numbers has been proved correct again.